Flashing Fuel Light

Dr Gil

My '02 Le Mans has developed a small but annoying problem of late.

My "low fuel light" has started flashing me during accelerations and decelerations. It makes no difference how full the tank is and how much input I give the throttle. Rough roads (which also moves the bike around, sloshing the fuel) don't seem to to have an effect on the light...just the faster/slower thing. It may be my imagination but it also doesn't seem to happen until the bike is warmed up (which does't make sense to me but perhaps is real).

I have no real sense of where the sensor is, how it works or where the wiring runs (possibly a short or bad connection?). :huh2:

As always, any and all help is much appreciated.

Still lame but trying to get better. ;)

Ok Gil,

The fuel light sensor/connector thing is under the tank of course. It is I believe without going out to look..sort of on the clutch side of the tank. Pull the tank & make sure that the connection is tight & also make sure its not dangling too close to anything hot like the left jug or valve cover. It looks like a male/female connector, black in color & I think its one of the things you have to disconnect to remove the tank but its been awhile since I've had mine off. Other people will throw their advice in on this one anyway & you'll have it solved soon enough. If it really bothers you just leave it disconnected & use your tripmeter to gauge your fuel level.

Thanks Richard...I sort of suspect that it's one of those thingies under the tank. I've been in and out of there so many times during the re-build that I'm sure to have "jossled" something along the way. :whistle:

I just wasn't sure where the "low fuel" measure-er was nor where it's connected. I have my fingers crossed that I don't have to take the tank apart...but if I do, I do. I'm hoping for a bad/loose connection. A little dielectric grease should fix that. ;)

I know that disconnecting would be a solution but I insist on treating my first Guzzi like all other bikes...things should work...if not, well then ok. But first try to fix them. "Flashy" things on the dash are distracting to my riding. You will all be heartened to know that my first response to this "problem" was to stick a wee bit of electrician's tape over the light. :luigi: