Engine pinging

Guest Eric123

"Like someone else pointed out, 1st thing is to make sure your TPS is set correctly & throttle bodies balanced, and that you've got your tappets adjusted to the "world spec" settings"

Zackly...tune it and loosen up those valves.

Cured mine completly...I could probably run kerosene now...like a guzzi should. :P

I am going to have to agree. The first thing is a basic tune-up then valve adjustment. I don't thing the "ram air" set up is really the best thing. I understand the concept, but think it is just overkill at this point (may upgrade to a K&N panel filter though soon).

The fuel is only going to be as good as it gets around Washington, DC. I think the TPS is out of wack, because sometimes it still runs rich, but I am getting complete combustion, because the tailpipes look clean.

But I still feel like my fuel mileage is garbage--the mystery continues

The fuel is only going to be as good as it gets around Washington, DC. I think the TPS is out of wack, because sometimes it still runs rich, but I am getting complete combustion, because the tailpipes look clean.

Yours is a 2003+? It has cats in the mufflers; the tailpipes will look clean for many thousands of miles yet! ;)

Guest Eric123

Yours is a 2003+? It has cats in the mufflers; the tailpipes will look clean for many thousands of miles yet! ;)

I have noticed on my most recent outings, that I am getting some popping--kind of like an internal backfire, somewhere in the from of the engine. I have noticed it when I have been stuck in stop and start traffic--of which I don't think my Guzzi likes very much.

Therefore, I am leaning toward the TPS. Or does anyone have some suggestions--other that avoid riding in traffic :P

I have noticed on my most recent outings, that I am getting some popping--kind of like an internal backfire, somewhere in the from of the engine. I have noticed it when I have been stuck in stop and start traffic--of which I don't think my Guzzi likes very much.

Therefore, I am leaning toward the TPS. Or does anyone have some suggestions--other that avoid riding in traffic :P

I have the same pinging issue, along with some off-idle stumbling in very hot conditions. Of course, it is getting cooler now so I could just ignore them...

I will be setting the TPS and balancing the throttle bodies this weekend. I already loosened the valves, which helped it start more easily. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ryan

Look for cracks in your TB inlet rubbers to. :drink:

I wouldn't rely on this. People believe two things: first - pinging comes from too lean a mixture and second - they believe that RAM-Air "rams" more air in your airbox. More air means leaner.

Not with an FI engine. You can have positive pressure right up to the valve head. The more air you can get past the sensors, the more fuel will be added and the more power made. Right up to the limit of the injectors to deal with it, or the limit of the software. Modern engine intake design makes allowances for this free form of super charging at higher road speeds.

On a carburetted engine this would not work as negative pressure is needed to, er, extract (OK, Pete?...) the fuel from the jet.

Not with an FI engine. You can have positive pressure right up to the valve head. The more air you can get past the sensors, the more fuel will be added and the more power made. Right up to the limit of the injectors to deal with it, or the limit of the software. Modern engine intake design makes allowances for this free form of super charging at higher road speeds.

On a carburetted engine this would not work as negative pressure is needed to, er, extract (OK, Pete?...) the fuel from the jet.

Sensors? What're you driving, a car? Guzzi got no steenkin' sensors! Alfa-N injection, my friend, Alfa-N! Of course, the new Brevonas & Grisos, etc. have semi-closed-loop injection, so a MAF sensor is next, for truly closed-loop injection, but for now, the only sensors I'm aware of on a Guzzi are for air pressure & temps; after that, it's just a question of the map for throttle opening vs. rpm. Why do you think there's so much talk on this thread on ways to adjust the map?

BTW, the "negative pressure" in the carb is built-in; blame it on some bugger named Bernoulli (poor b@stard never sleeps, what with keeping my other bikes running, jumbo jets in the air, etc. etc. etc.)

Ride on,

:bike: