Winter exhaust project

KiloSjon

For a while now I am thinking on how to adjust the original competizione design to the the style of the v11. Like the fairing, a one on one copy will not look right, since the v11 is a much more fat design, and so the mufflers will have to be fat as well...

Using photoshop I have made some (very rough) sketches to see how it will look.

This one has high up cans, not that classic, but I think pretty nice:

example1.jpg

This one is more classic, low matt black mufflers, but I think a lot of ground clearance is lost:

example3.jpg

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Off course, deciding the design is the easy part, but I've found a small custom performance exhaust manufacturer who does one offs. Once I decide on the design, I will check out the possibilities (and possibly end up with standard ti's... :blush: but hey, at least I tried...)

(Couldn't find a high res picture of a champagne le mans, if you have one, please let me know, because than I can really see how it will work...)

Oh, by the way, the high version are more or less available as standard:

siluitlaat.jpg

see SIL motor

But I also want to add the red propellor:

lafranconi_propeller_V7_sport_350_00.jpg

For a while now I am thinking on how to adjust the original competizione design to the the style of the v11. Like the fairing, a one on one copy will not look right, since the v11 is a much more fat design, and so the mufflers will have to be fat as well...

Using photoshop I have made some (very rough) sketches to see how it will look.

This one has high up cans, not that classic, but I think pretty nice:

example1.jpg

This one is more classic, low matt black mufflers, but I think a lot of ground clearance is lost:

example3.jpg

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Off course, deciding the design is the easy part, but I've found a small custom performance exhaust manufacturer who does one offs. Once I decide on the design, I will check out the possibilities (and possibly end up with standard ti's... :blush: but hey, at least I tried...)

(Couldn't find a high res picture of a champagne le mans, if you have one, please let me know, because than I can really see how it will work...)

Cool! I have been attacking my stock Cafe Sport mufflers with a Dremel tool, but still am unhappy with the sound, and don't want to perform major surgery. I loved the sound of the reverse cone standard mufflers on my Norton, and they are far less expensive than the aftermarkets I've seen for the Guzzi. However, the diameter of the exhaust pipe end is too small for direct connection.

I'll be watching your progress.

Oh, by the way, the high version are more or less available as standard:

siluitlaat.jpg

see SIL motor

But I also want to add the red propellor:

lafranconi_propeller_V7_sport_350_00.jpg

low pipeslike that are a problem, you will scratch them to the asphalt the first time you do a turn.

That's where I'm affraid off, any ideas on how to define the minimum hight? The lower pipes look pretty cool, and although I use all the rubber on my rear tire, I am not into kneedowns etc..

That's where I'm affraid off, any ideas on how to define the minimum hight? The lower pipes look pretty cool, and although I use all the rubber on my rear tire, I am not into kneedowns etc..

Isn't scraping the pavement simply a matter of the angle between all parts of the bike and the road? Low can be all right, if it's closer to the centerline of the bike. It all depends.

Don't care for either option, visually; don't like the "kink," regardless of whether it's set high or low!

Something in the "middle ground," with the megaphone on a visually straight line w/ the point right behind the pilots footpegs where the pipes come out from the the x-over would likely be most pleasing both visually & practically.

JMNSHO, of course! ;)

Ride on!

:mg:

Don't care for either option, visually; don't like the "kink," regardless of whether it's set high or low!

Something in the "middle ground," with the megaphone on a visually straight line w/ the point right behind the pilots footpegs where the pipes come out from the the x-over would likely be most pleasing both visually & practically.

JMNSHO, of course! ;)

Ride on!

the silencers for your first pictures are to much to the back of the bike, let the point where it's angled upwards start 8 cm earlier. ANd the upswept part should be in parralel with the seat line.

Thanks, this results in this two alternatives:

If I understand Skeeve correct, this is his proposal:

example5.jpg

And Paul, this should be in line with your ideas:

example6.jpg

I like this last concept, although I wonder if the connection with the Competiziones is clear, since they are known by their "kink". See:

motoguzzi-lemans-mk2-1979-offsiderear_thn.jpg

Thanks, this results in this two alternatives:

If I understand Skeeve correct, this is his proposal:

example5.jpg

And Paul, this should be in line with your ideas:

example6.jpg

I like this last concept, although I wonder if the connection with the Competiziones is clear, since they are known by their "kink". See:

motoguzzi-lemans-mk2-1979-offsiderear_thn.jpg

Actually, Paul & my idea are one & the same, he just expressed it more clearly. Good job on the graphic, & :thumbsup: to Paul for his clarity of description to enable you to get the graphic right... ;)

WRT the "homage" to the competizione LM1 pipes... give it up! "Ya cain't get there from here" since the stock V11 headers & x-over don't have anything like the visual cue from the equivalent pieces from the LM1 pipes. It's a nice idea, but you'd have to completely redo the entire exhaust system (which wouldn't be that big a deal, since the compe' pipes are much simpler than the V11 units & since they're painted black anyway, could be done up in mild steel pipe w/ ceramicoat once everything is dialed in), which in turn would entail a complete remap of the injection, and moreover, probably wouldn't have the performance of the stock V11 system due to the cruder x-over [altho' I almost certainly am wrong about this last bit, since my predictions on almost everything usually wind up in the trash too! ;) ]

Ride on!

• Like 1

Seen in Mandello lately:

organicexhaustrt2.th.jpg

Nice homebrew project as I think. It will keep you active at least for one winter. Unfortunately I didn't hear it.

Hubert

That is the grossest mess I have ever seen anyone make of a V11. EEEEuuuugh :vomit::vomit::vomit: