Had my camshaft replaced

Guest tobias

Had my camshaft replaced.

When I got it back I now have a ticking or ratteling sound that is there all the time even when the motor is turned off and I am rolling down a hill.It comes from the engine or trannie, hard to locate. So I guess there is something with the transmission? It is there on all gears and with the clutch in..The shop saids it can´t have anything to do with their work. But it was not there before. Any good guesses out there??I sure hope so....

When I got it back I now have a ticking or ratteling sound that is there all the time even when the motor is turned off and I am rolling down a hill.It comes from the engine or trannie, hard to locate. So I guess there is something with the transmission? It is there on all gears and with the clutch in..The shop saids it can´t have anything to do with their work. But it was not there before. Any good guesses out there??I sure hope so....

Sounds like either your box or your shaft. Maybe the engine has become less noisy after the cam replacement, and you only notice it now. :)

If you haven't got any backlash, I would not worry at the moment. Keep an ear (or an eye) on it and see if it gets worse. If your engine was out of the frame for the repair, it could well have something to do with the repair, maybe an extra load on the universal joint. If the engine was not out, it would be difficult to connect the two events. Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the bike.

Try to narrow the location down a bit. Think of all the items that would have been removed/loosened to do the work. Go round the bike with a couple of spanners and screwdrivers.

You say you can hear it with the engine off and rolling downhill - in neutral I presume? If so you can eliminate timing chain, camshaft etc.

Have you looked at the brake rotors and calipers/ anything stuck in there or not tightened? Loose exhaust clamps or downpipes hitting on the block?

Graham

...The shop saids it can´t have anything to do with their work. But it was not there before. Any good guesses out there??I sure hope so....

Bring the bike back to them and become direct. Maybe louder as usual. They probably had everything apart to open the engine; gearbox, tranny, rear swing arm and so on. Lots of possible failures.

I'd not go on and wait until it becomes more serious. Then they will say it's been not their fault and now you've ruined it.

Sometimes I think the most important thing you must have if you want to run a motorbike shop successfully is a good psychological training, of the kind that insurance agents get to sell the 10th life insurance to an 80 year old granny.

If the reason for the noise would be easy to find, why don't they do it for you? They have the tools, they should be the experts.

Sometimes I think the most important thing you must have if you want to run a motorbike shop successfully is a good psychological training, of the kind that insurance agents get to sell the 10th life insurance to an 80 year old granny.

If the reason for the noise would be easy to find, why don't they do it for you? They have the tools, they should be the experts.

You have answered your last question in the first paragraph, I think.

The mistake with some motorcycle shops it to exagerrate and sell you things you don't need.

This is a confused(misunderstood) idea of what a good seller should be. And that isn't not the one who can sell just a lot , but sell (even a lot) to the ones that need them.

Perhaps they whatch too many movies and inherit wrong ideas,anyways.

Had your bike fixed and then doesn't sound right , get it back and make them do things right.They do give warantee on what their work , don't they?

Have they tightened every screw in the correct factory tourgue measurments?Is every clearence as it should be.?

That's one of the reasons I am ALWAYS over the mechanicer's head while my babe is being repaired no matter if t is one hour or 10.(Except ,perhaps, when he is called Roland Daes or Meme...heh)

That's one of the reasons I am ALWAYS over the mechanicer's head while my babe is being repaired no matter if t is one hour or 10.(Except ,perhaps, when he is called Roland Daes or Meme...heh)

I can't help but think that one who has the time and expertise to monitor anothers work for 1 to 10 hours, should be able to do the job himself. :D

Ken

I can't help but think that one who has the time and expertise to monitor anothers work for 1 to 10 hours, should be able to do the job himself. :D

Ken

I have small expertise in mechanical subjects,for sure.Though enough to see how is going on.

And when you are on the road traveling and have to change valves and vave guides definatelly don't have al the tools to do the job.(definatelly I don't have the tools ,and expertise ,at home to do that myself alone-i.e. drill holes , work on the heads ,ect.ect.) , or even other serious fixing on the bike.

Besides you don't need so much of mechanical expertise (but a little) to see If some parts needs to be replaced due to ageing or so(or if he really changes the parts that he is charging ,or worked less hours than charged , or work slow drinking coffee in order to charge more hours-yes my chronometer with a 12hour dial chrono, works well here), or if the correct torgue settings are used to tun every screw.

You see you don't need so much expertise for that... I have my silent presence around none takes such notice about it..

Excuse me, but one do need expertise to fix my bike, though, and get my hard earned cash for it, and that's how I worked on my profession, a deal was always a deal and what I have dealt always received on time and as it was agreed on on quality and money . And if I had to work more on it to make it satisfactory or to the quality that was dealt I always charged myself for that.

You see few professionals can be honest on their works these days ....