Alternator Cover Upgrade

Lamedog

Being an Italian bike, making pretty can be as important as titanium pushrods when seeking that last little bit of performance. So there I was futzing with the alterntor cover and next thing you know its gone and lost the 1/4" of silver crap and is now polished. Naked alternator covers, what next! You'll excuse the lack of photo, but I trust you can imagine what polished alimunim looks like. Question is how to compound the silliness? Just let it oxidize? Seems to work for bike parts (I'm not making a lifestyle of it..), and I figure there are so many rocks down there that any kind of finish is only going to chip off anyway.

Go ahead, admit it - you've been here, done that. What worked for you? :whistle:

I was thinking of polishing that cover too. Tell us how you polished yours. I was thinking of using a dremel to do it if theres a polishing tool that fits it. I didnt realize the cover was aluminum either, I thought it was some cheap metal. I could have it powder coated for free where I work as long as I want either dark green or grey. Actually I've thought of powder coating it just to see how well the powder coat finish stands up to the abuse of the road debris.

Just hit it with some clear coat paint. Wont last forever, but you'll have an idea of whether you want to keep it. In any event, I bet a smoother, shinier cover would look pretty nice without being too high on 'bling' factor.

I junked the plastic cover on my Cali in favour of an alloy V11 one.

It came with manky paint on, but I polished it up on a buffing wheel.

It still has a patina of usage which suits the style of the bike.

Shouldn't take too much effort to keep it presentable. :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

Photo of the bling thing. Not too sunny this afternoon, but its just as well - we'd all go blind. Polishing beat burying landscape lighting cable for the afternoon, but not by much - and only delayed things. I used 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 grit wet/dry paper. All hand. Finished up with white emery on my drill mounted buffing wheel. Won't confess to using wire-wheel on the grinder in early stages as this is much too dangerous. But quick. Actually I'm not sure it would be possible to get the manky paint off in the tight spots without the wire wheel, and once you start you're locked - short of powder coat or underbody gum not much will hold up here. Total time approx 2 hrs. I opt for ageing gracefully but evenly - no clear coat. Annual Simichrome coming on...

Photo of the bling thing. Not too sunny this afternoon, but its just as well - we'd all go blind. Polishing beat burying landscape lighting cable for the afternoon, but not by much - and only delayed things. I used 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 grit wet/dry paper. All hand. Finished up with white emery on my drill mounted buffing wheel. Won't confess to using wire-wheel on the grinder in early stages as this is much too dangerous. But quick. Actually I'm not sure it would be possible to get the manky paint off in the tight spots without the wire wheel, and once you start you're locked - short of powder coat or underbody gum not much will hold up here. Total time approx 2 hrs. I opt for ageing gracefully but evenly - no clear coat. Annual Simichrome coming on...

I have an '02 Le Mans with the "crinkle paint"...sigh. My alternator cover is totally chipping and ugly and I'm considering the alternatives. My current thinking is to do what you have done... strip the bitch and make 'er all shiney! :)

My concerns are (same as yours) that I don't know how to maintain that "shiney-ness" and what about the eagle? I like it and want it as part of my finished product.

My other newbie questions are: What the hell is that pyramid thingie above your alternator? And HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR EXHAUST SO CLEAN AND LOVELY??? :huh2:

...so many questions, so little time to actually ride.

Dr Gil: Just you come check it out Saturday (10/7) at the NorCal "Guzzi by the Sea". This should psyche you for some rainy weekend in the garage...

As for the eagles, IMHO this bike is crawling with the things. Enough! My own spouse says "What's with the Eagles, is this trying to be a Harley?". Would that I could say Guzzi had 'em first, but all I can say is the Italians probably weren't paying attention, or thought Harley used a turkey. Anyway, I kept the Eagle, in fact I removed some grunge from the chrome plate - just be really, really careful.

I periodically wipe the headers with Micro Mesh 8000/12000 when the blue gets bad. It rapidly reacquires the nice faux titanium brown patina. Flexible, really fine sandpaper, pricey, but lasts a long time and beats steel wool in my opinion. Check micro-surface.com, I get mine from the local Rockler woodworking shop.

Aggressive paint stripper turns the paint to goo and you can wipe it off, it even works with powder coat. Spray it on, wait 2 beers, then wipe it off and rinse well, ready to polish with just a bit of elbow work (pounding two beers)...

Aggressive paint stripper turns the paint to goo and you can wipe it off, it even works with powder coat. Spray it on, wait 2 beers, then wipe it off and rinse well, ready to polish with just a bit of elbow work (pounding two beers)...

so what we have'ere is a four beer job? have to wait till friday then...

Dr Gil: Just you come check it out Saturday (10/7) at the NorCal "Guzzi by the Sea". This should psyche you for some rainy weekend in the garage...

As for the eagles, IMHO this bike is crawling with the things. Enough! My own spouse says "What's with the Eagles, is this trying to be a Harley?". Would that I could say Guzzi had 'em first, but all I can say is the Italians probably weren't paying attention, or thought Harley used a turkey. Anyway, I kept the Eagle, in fact I removed some grunge from the chrome plate - just be really, really careful.

I periodically wipe the headers with Micro Mesh 8000/12000 when the blue gets bad. It rapidly reacquires the nice faux titanium brown patina. Flexible, really fine sandpaper, pricey, but lasts a long time and beats steel wool in my opinion. Check micro-surface.com, I get mine from the local Rockler woodworking shop.

What's this Guzzi by the Sea business? Where might this be happening? I'm about a 4 hour ride from the Bay Area...might be worth taking the ride.

As for the eagle...

Pop off the eagle badge - it's gonna fall off one day anyway. Polish to your heart's content. Rough up the area under the eagle with some emery. Stick it back on with JB Weld. Glued the ones on the chops too a number of years ago. Still stuck fast.

cheers,

Rj