WATER IN FUEL CAP

Guest jap

hi all,

about a week ago i was driving in some serious rain with my v11 sport coming back from the moto coupes legendes near paris (hope to post good images of the original tenni..... breaking down!! :o,

when i stopped for gas i noticed there was a lott of water on the inside of the fuellcap of my v11 sport. i never noticed it before so when i came home i checked if the hose was properly attached or maybe just filled with dirt or something.... and that's where i gott a bitt puzzeled. The hose wasn't on the nozzle but just hanging there.... first problem is to which of the nozzle's the hose attaches? my first guess would be the left cause i think that's the one for clearing the water from the fuell cap does anyone know??? what is the function of the other nozzle?

Hope someone can help me..

this was my first "big" ride with the v11 14 hours in the saddle and no problems!! taking all the back roads which is excellent in France! :P:P:P:P

Jasper

v11 sport

Guest geezerx

Hi Jasper,

As you sit on the bike, the left line is the drain line for that water around the filler neck and the right line is the vent line for the tank. You can see these molded lines inside the tank by looking into the filler neck. There should be external rubber lines attached to each of these molded lines at the underside of the tank.

Judging by the fact that you have water around the fill neck even with the rubber drain line disconnected, it seems that the moulded drain line down through the tank has some blockage. That was the case on my bike. I used a light wire and and gently worked the line through the tank untill I could blow air through it. It was clear for awhile and now seems to be restricted again. :huh2: My current fix is to keep a tank bag on the bike. Not very high tech but seems to work. Hope someone more knowledgable and experienced with resolving this issue will weigh in here.

The unsettling part of this issue is knowing that when one sees the water level flush with the filler neck after opening the cap, one must wonder how much higher the water level was before breaking the seal at the filler neck. It's easy to guess where that water is going. :angry:

I currently have the tank off looking for my own problem so just checked the two lines for you by spraying some WD40 into each. As noted - thicker hose drains the cap area via the hole/hose on the left and the thinner hose on the right is the cap breather. Both terminate in a holder just above the exhaust collector. I too have seen water collect in this area (and also use a tank-bag...)

Gio

PS - With regard to my own problem (see spitting and popping) I now seem to have lost power to the fuel pump - the plot thickens...

Thanks for the reply... and yeahh that's the really upsetting part water running into the tank i didn't had any problems though....

tried getting rid of the obstacle in the breather tube but till now no succes i'll drive bij TLM tomorrow... see what they say..

cheers

jasper

Ps i found big scratches on the sides of my tank from my knee from braking and shifting!! definitly not a happy boy when i discovered those.