Speedo cable fixed -- Simple!

guzziownr

I used the motion-pro kit (PN 01-0107 -- 50 inches)

Very easy, just lay out the old cable and match the length (including the broken bit, natch).

I used a chisel to cut it and a vice to crimp the top piece on, took ten minutes.

I used Tri-flow cable lube (with Teflon!) and will be lubing more regularly as the last 10 inches of my broken cable were dry and rusty. Heat perhaps?

Next easy project will be my intermittent neutral light. I suspect a questionable ground at the trans...

DW

282.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I used the motion-pro kit (PN 01-0107 -- 50 inches)

Very easy, just lay out the old cable and match the length (including the broken bit, natch).

I used a chisel to cut it and a vice to crimp the top piece on, took ten minutes.

I used Tri-flow cable lube (with Teflon!) and will be lubing more regularly as the last 10 inches of my broken cable were dry and rusty. Heat perhaps?

Next easy project will be my intermittent neutral light. I suspect a questionable ground at the trans...

DW

282.jpg

I tried this to replace the cable on my 03 V11 sport, and it didn't work. It comes with three fittings to connect into the speedometer, but the one that *should* fit, doesn't work. It's hard to explain, but it wouldn't fit. I'll draw a picture later, if anybody cares.

Maybe it only works on some models? Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT

Here's what I found out:

In the replacment fitting, there is a shoulder at "A" that prevents it from going any further into the speedo fitting. But you can see that the distance "B" is greater than on the stock cable. So, the nut is offset from the threaded part on the speedo. Hence, the nut can't tighten the cable to the speedometer.

guzziownr, you didn't have this problem?

speedo.jpg

Guest ratchethack

Ya just lube 'em up (Redline assembly lube) and slide them into the sheath.

Oooooooohhh Noooooooooo! Mustn't do that! Mustn't!! :o

Though there's no known evidence of this, Redline lube on the cable could cause abnormal swelling and inflammation of the delicate tissues of the all-steel cable housing! On top of that, proper cable maintenance could result in ricketts, plantars warts, jaundice and liver spots! And we all know that, though there's no known evidence of this either on a V11 Guzzi, any lube at all on this cable could fight both gravity and Archimedes' screw action from natural downward movement into the transmission by propulsion of the helically-wound cable and housing, and could make the heroic North Face ascent against all the forces of nature arrayed against it, around the cable flange designed to prevent any possibility of this, into the clockwork of the instrument, rendering it as useless as tapioca pudding!

Best apply the philosophy of "sweating the assets" with "benign" neglect! :grin:

Rust never sleeps, and in the end, conquers all. Why fight the inevitable. :huh2:

;):lol::whistle:

Sorry, Greg. I had a surprise visit this morning from General Sarcasm, and he seems to've left a little "ambience" behind on his way out. . . .

Carry on! ;)

- Cdr. Hatchracket

Once again you show your ignorance, Ratch. The Archemedes Screw was designed to draw water UP from a well, against all forces of nature, as you have spewn. Depending on how the coil is wound (and I admit I have no idea and am not about to investigate) it may be forcing fluid UP the cable. Surface Tension (another Force of Nature) also plays a part in the wicking of fluid UP the cable. A blocked breather COULD also cause pressure in the trans to push fluid UP the cable. Likelyhood of that... well that's moot.

I don't think that anyone who has wrenched a bike would argue that lubing of cables is necessary, but your OPINION of what to lube with is certainly not the ONLY choice. WHAT to lube with is far less important than the lubing itself.

To insinuate that your way is the only way and all others are spawn by blithering idiots is completely ridiculous.

If the day ever comes that you post looking for a new speedo as yours is chunked with thick red goo, I will laugh like a hyena.

Rj

Guest ratchethack
Once again you show your ignorance, Ratch. The Archemedes Screw was designed to draw water UP from a well, against all forces of nature, as you have spewn. Depending on how the coil is wound (and I admit I have no idea and am not about to investigate) it may be forcing fluid UP the cable. Surface Tension (another Force of Nature) also plays a part in the wicking of fluid UP the cable. A blocked breather COULD also cause pressure in the trans to push fluid UP the cable. Likelyhood of that... well that's moot.

I don't think that anyone who has wrenched a bike would argue that lubing of cables is necessary, but your OPINION of what to lube with is certainly not the ONLY choice. WHAT to lube with is far less important than the lubing itself.

To insinuate that your way is the only way and all others are spawn by blithering idiots is completely ridiculous.

If the day ever comes that you post looking for a new speedo as yours is chunked with thick red goo, I will laugh like a hyena.

Rj

Well, Ryan! So generous of you to reply with an accurate characterization of yourself in your last sentence above. This saves me the trouble, and allows me to keep within the Forum rules at the same time. How very nice 'n tidy. Your post above had inspired a couple of ideas of my own, but the more I think about it, your self-description seems to fit your personality much better. Nicely done.

Your track record of not having the foggiest notion about what you're talking about in reply to my posts has been quite impressive, to say the least. In fact, I do b'lieve that by now, you've established quite a reputation for yourself.

Now after all your criticism above, as sloppy and entirely unfounded as it is, QUOTE: ". . .I admit I have no idea and am not about to investigate", (!!) And with all your silly, useless, imaginary speculation about speedo cable lube migrating up the cable, unlike yourself, I speak from direct experience.

Per a previous post on this, I've actually had two speedo cables on two different V11 Guzzi's out, one a worm-drive cable, the other an angle drive, and I've determined the direction of rotation. I've lubed them both several times. As also confirmed on this Forum by at least one other poster, the direction of the helical winding of the cable and housing in each one works to migrate lube downward into the trans. This is NOT my opinion, it's a fact. I've got 30K miles on my Guzzi, lubing my speedo cable with RSH, and since he started using the same treatment after breaking his first cable (which he'd never lubed), my Pal has somewhere around 20K miles (two different mfgr. speedos - Veglia and ITI) on his LeMans without as much as a trace of lube migration into either of the instrument heads.

Like the vast majority of posters here, Ryan, I make a sincere effort to post accurate information that can be of real value to others. You might consider giving this a whirl some time yourself. Occasionally I get things wrong and am thankful for, and always welcome knowledgeable, well-informed correction. Would you kindly point out where I've said or even implied that "my way is the only way", or where I've ever either stated or even remotely suggested that there's only ONE kind of lube to use on a speedo cable?

Now if you've only imagined this, Ryan, and you've actually taken the trouble to submit a highly critical post that starts out by accusing me of showing MY IGNORANCE in an area in which you admittedly have NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE -- in fact, in an area that you quite evidently have nothing whatsoever of value to offer -- it would seem that you might've developed some kind of an oddly obsessive mental condition. :whistle:

In fact, Ryan, if you can't muster enough self control to mitigate y'er well-practiced tendency toward the "Ready!.....Fire!.....Aim!" school of shootin' your mouth off, and this is any indicator at all of your behavior in "the real world" -- well, you just might be well advised to see if you can find a good shrink or some kinda encounter group -- or something . . . . . :wacko:

EDIT: (cleaned up in compliance with Forum rules & International standards of decency) :whistle:

Once again, when cornered, Ratcho resorts to personal attacks. Is that the best you've got?? :huh2:

I think it is quite clear to anyone with half a brain who the idiot is. Your pointing finger leaves 3 more pointing right back at you, the king of self proclamation!

Keep up the humerous posts! Your self righteousness is extremely entertaining! God forbid the plug ever drops from your asshole.

Rj

Guest ratchethack

Once again, when cornered, Ratcho resorts to personal attacks.

Yep, you sure had me "cornered" there, Ryan. Nailed. Dead to rights. . . . :lol:

I guess I shouldn't have personally attacked you out o' the blue then -- eh, Ryan? ;)

Keep up the good work, Pal. Y'er knockin' 'em clean outta the park. :whistle:

All you needed to say was "we have investigated it and found that it does indeed force the fluid down" at which I would have responded in kind. I'm surprised that there is more than one on the board anal enough to actually go to that depth... well, now that I think about it, it really isn't that surprising.

I believe it is quite evident what sort of chap you are.

I'm sorry if I missed the whole "archemedes screw discussion" in the plethora of info here. It's hard to keep track when your posts all begin with a lengthy discussion of how you are at the top of the intelligence ladder and all who might disagree are idiots. If I can make it through the crap, quite often you have something interesting to say. I just can't be bothered to wade through all the self important shite to get to some meat.

The POINT of my response was that WHAT one uses to lube is not particularly important. Certainly one should not be labelled a fool for using a lube other than Redline.

Rj

Guest ratchethack
I think you're both blithering idiots. I didn't say RSH, for f*ck's sake; I said RL Assembly Lube, which is thicker than RSH but far thinner than a grease. Only complete idjits would use anything else.

Carry on . . .

Greg, with all due respect, I pay very careful attention to your posts, and I know wot you said.

You can call me an idjit and you won't be the first or the last. But now I'm gonna ask you kindly to explain yourself, Sir. -_-

I hadn't missed what kind of lube you mentioned, nor is the distinction betweeen RL assembly lube and RSH lost on me. I've posted previously on another thread about speedo cable lubrication. I was opposed in my suggestion on lubing the speedo cable by a poster who suggested that not lubing AT ALL was preferable to the potential of a reaction between the lube and a polycarb-lined cable. Others have posted fears of contaminating the intstrument. To my knowledge, on the V11 Guzzi, no history or evidence of this exists. Between my friend's LM and my Sport, we have upwards of 30 K miles on lubed cables with no evidence of instrument contamination.

I had pointed out that the cable is, for starters, NOT lined. Both my '00 and my Pal's '04 are steel-on-steel. My next observation from reading Forum posts was that while some cables seem to last a long time dry, many riders' cables had failed without lube, including my Pal's. I had suggested that a wide variety of cable lubes would be better than none, but that my preference was, though not perhaps the "ideal" cable lube -- trans gear lube, which, like any gorilla snot you choose to put on it, migrates downward, ending up in the trans, as prev. discussed, ad nauseum, by gravity and by Archimedes' tried 'n true principle. IMHO, one can do worse than RSH -- especially if y'er using it in the trans, and ESPECIALLY AGAIN due to it's very unquely high cling strength properties, which, to those who've done their homework on it, among other properties, put this gear lube in a class of its own. -_-

Now then. You're using specialty assembly lubes at MI which your average Joe (incluing meself) ain't likely to keep on the shelf, or even buy for "onesy" rebuilds, most of us not doing engine assembly on a daily, weekly, monthly, or for that matter, yearly basis -- though there have been entire decades when I've averaged quite a bit better than yearly, meself. -_-

I have my preferences, as does everyone, including yourself, I'm sure. I respect your advice among a chosen few to be the very best to be had. I've never faintly suggested in any way that my choice of cable lube should heretofore become the International Industry Standard, f'er God's sake!

As I had suggested at some length in the aforementioned thread, MANY kinds of lubes are more than acceptable for speedo drive cables (as I posted previously, I've used quite a wide variety of products on them on many vehicles for decades, and I don't consider any of 'em WRONG), and I pointed out that for the most part, the worst of 'em are FAR preferrable to NO LUBE AT ALL.

Now God knows that I may be a blithering idiot for lots of reasons, as Ryan and several others here have been so kind and so wise to have so urgently, repeatedly, and so eloquently point out. :P Do you now mean to say that I'm a "blithering idiot" for suggesting trans lube on a speedo cable?

I'm not gonna have a conniption one way or the other, nor am I likely to change my mind.

But please do advise. -_-