want new rotors

pShenk

I've tried lots of stuff and I'm still pretty sure my front rotors are warped slightly, so I'm looking for new rotors. Since I'm getting new ones, maybe get something a little fancy. Has anyone installed any cool-looking rotors on their V11? What about wave rotors, or color options? I'm looking for full-floating ones.

I saw the Moto-master "flame" ones, and they might be a bit much.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braking wave are ok, think they are on the 1200sport too. Most rotors are not full floating.

I have very expensive( 500 euro each) PVM rotors, and they are full floating, but I took them of because I had vibration at braking, so even a high price is no guarantee for trouble free working. I have had no time to see what is wrong with them. No I have a set from a rsv mile, they look floating but aren't. But they do brake. Not nearly the bite the PVM has.

Guest Mattress

Good topic. I thought I had a warped rotor. It still might be slightly warped, but one sunny saturday I took to the buttons with carb cleaner and stiff brush. I massaged the buttons, scrubbed, then scrubbed em with soapy water.

The "pulsing" was markedly diminished. Might be a little bit there still, not enough saddle time to tell.

Guest ratchethack

Good topic. I thought I had a warped rotor. It still might be slightly warped, but one sunny saturday I took to the buttons with carb cleaner and stiff brush. I massaged the buttons, scrubbed, then scrubbed em with soapy water.

The "pulsing" was markedly diminished. Might be a little bit there still, not enough saddle time to tell.

Whenever I have the front wheel off for a tire change, I dismount and clean out the calipers. Since its so easy to do with the wheel off, as a preventive measure, I also carefully clean the accumulated gunk from around the semi-floating rotor buttons and give each one a shot of penetrataing oil to deter gradual seizing of the buttons due to corrosion. By my experience on previous bikes, this practice has brought a pulsing brake or two completely back to normal. I'd be a little leery of using water directly on the buttons as a solvent, but that's just me. :unsure:

Guest ratchethack

yeah, I've cleaned my buttons in the past, but maybe not good enough. How freely should the rotor move on the buttons? Mine is somewhere between very stiff and perhaps siezed-up.

pShenk, the carrier buttons on semi-floating brakes will always be stiff. They're designed to move only impreceptibly under braking force. You can flex the spring washers slightly by pushing on the buttons from the inside, but it's hard to tell for sure if they're seized unless the brakes are pulsing. By then it may be too late to save 'em. That's why I prefer a fraction of an ounce of prevention to a pound o' cure. The pound o' cure could mean new carriers and rotors. . . . . -_-

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

For me the coolest would be the Brake tech composite/ceramic discs. An awful price tag, but man are they light. :2c:

Yeah, the Brake Tech discs look cool. You're talking about BrakeTech USA right? It looks like they distribute AXIS rotors. These are pretty cool looking for $309 each. (They're not the ceramic ones, but cmon... seems like overkill for a street bike :D

BTD-10.S0.jpg