Teckno Bag Mounts

wildbill

I wasn't the person to mount the Tecknos (SP?) bags on my bike so I'm wondering - how do you remove the spacer on the upper rack mounting point immediately below the seat? It's about an inch long... I removed the long bolt but the spacer seems frozen to the bike... was wondering how it was originally installed before I munge it forever more... I'm removing the bags for now. Many thanks!

It's just a sleeve. I didn't use mine. Seemed too long and didn't go into the recess in the foot rest hanger.

Yours probably has pulled slightly in to the recess- interference fit :(

That gives you the options;

1- Use heat try and get both parts to expand - don't know relative rates

2- Twist and pull - vise grips likely to scratch the sleeve, also have a bolt inside so doesn't crush

3- just hit the f**ker and hope it's not too far in that it damages the bracket

4- replace the hanger (£35ish a throw got sent one once when I wanted the exhaust can to bracket hanger)

5 - leave the wire hangers on they're not too intrusive

I leave my hangers on

Good luck

Common for the spacer to get stuck as it is too much of an interference fit (shouldn't be interference at all!). Tightening the bolt jams it in there. Try spraying some WD40 on it and wiggling it out gently. Try to avoid wrecking the powder coat, if it isn't mated permanently to the spacer already.

I figure when they spec'd the OD they used the "before powder coat" sizing.

Rj

I cut mine off about half and use a washer next to the bracket. I used to take them off in the summer but have gotten too used to the handy space.

I've drawn up a better looking mount to bring the bags forward and low as I rarely ride two-up. Now I'm stuck on materials and finding a fabricator with skill, time and no Porsche payment.

My father in law is pretty handy with metalworking-perhaps you should talk to him. He's retired and makes bike parts as a hobby (mostly Henderson, pre WW I Harley and other archaic, eh, nostaligic machines). I'd be happy to send you his email address.

disclosure- I might ask him to make two sets if I like your design (I also ride mostly one-up)

J

I'll try to get a scan up of the drawings. This is about as far from CAD as the Guzzi is from electronic warfare.

I tried to mimick the style of the passenger peg hanger.

Can't do it today as I'm packing the Sport for a ride down to Barber's for the Vintage Festival. :race:

I've revised this post and the sketch.

My aim is to mount the Teknos lower and further forward to help handling in the Sport-Tour mode.

The backing plate is designed to mount behind the frame brackets for the passengerpeg/muffler hanger and the lower mount to pin instead of the passenger peg which would be removed.

As this is no CAD enabled approach, I am looking for a willing fabricator who can adapt the design to a Sport by fitting and finalizing.

Jason, ya out there?

mountate.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have some misgivings about the structure and dimensions.

I've already redesigned the brcketry to hold the rack off the mounting plate to utilize plate instead of bar stock.

Fitting from a diagram is going to be dicey. The rack sits about 10 mm outboard of the passenger peg bracket which itself angles forward and inward.

I would like to mount the main mounting pplate inside the subframe bracket for the passenger peg hanger. To complicate matters that subframe bracket appears to angle outward 15 degrees or so and fore to aft 10 degrees +/-.

How would you fit something like this?