Mods to new 2000 V11

ALdad

Hellow Guzzi people. I will be picking up a 2000 green V11 sport in a couple of weeks if all goes well. I have been lusting after this bike since I first saw one. The bike has 2500 mi. is bone stock except for a power commander. the recalls have not been done . Thanx Todd and other people for your input.I look forward to getting to know some of you other guzzi obsessed crazys. My Question is , when I bring the bike in for the tranni and connrod recall work to orange county triumph/moto guzzi. SA CA. When the bike is apart is there any highly recomended mods I should have them do? Do the dealers make any money on recall work. Is the recall really necassary? Is the bike likely to leak after ? any concerns or advice. Thanx all. Cheer!! Alan

Hi Allan,

I've only ever been to OC triumph once and i'm not one to dealer bash but..... i've heard enough unpleasnat stories about service there that them doing this work for you might not be the best introduction to the world of moto guzzi.

Cycle Sport Pacific seem to have a good rep for guzzi warranty work. I also know that mph in houston is many socal'er's choice for purchasing a new bike as is Moto international in Seattle. I know its a pain to travel with the bike for a recall but..... it sure beats waiting forever for an unsatisfactory result. Sean Fader at MotoGuzzi Classics is THE f.i. guzzi wrench in socal but i'm not sure if Mark's shop is able to do warranty work on Guzzi's now. You might want to check on that as it'd safe a considerable amount of potential pain to have him do it.

I have the same model bike as you. Anytime you want to do a benchtest to see what my mods have done to power/rideability you're welcome to compare them.

I have the fbf pistons, mistral titantium ovals & velocity stacks with Pods. I run an older Serial PC3. The bike is loud as hell and when riding the honk from the pods is very unique, on long rides it gets somewhat tiresome.

If I had my money back and was starting customising form the beginning , i'd not do the pistons and pods, and spend the money on suspension and upgraded braking system...

Guest Gary Cheek

Great info Rob all the way around . I would second also the thoughts on dealer choice...VERY strongly. The trans update involves replacing shift dogs and torque compensator pawls. The dealers around here were a bit baffled as to the difference since the designs were the same. I had a close look at mine and discovered the originals were made from sintered steel (powdered metal fused under pressure and heat) the new ones were from billet.

It would be hard to tell you to skip the recall as a locked up trans equals a locked rear wheel.

I bought my bike as salvage. When I got it roadworthy I made an appointment to get the update.(Actually a federally mandated RECALL. The local dealer informed me theat the dealer in Maryland (where the bike was" totalled" in a flood) Had claimed performing the recall. It thought that to be a bit strange since the bike was totalled before the recall was issued! I went so far as to call the Maryland Guzzi dealer to get a man to man answer. He got pretty crappy about it and said the recall was done. He reportedly told MGNA that I had no business putting this bike on the road! Funny thing was that he had just sold me parts to replace the parts that had been pilfered from this bike before I bought it on eBay. The parts even had perfect matching rub marks for my bike!

Things got a bit more serious and MGNA was able to determine that the recall had NOT indeed been performed. Pretty sad when a dealer puts a few shekkils in his pocket and sells out a person's safety.

WOW That is bad when someone would go as far as to lie about the recall having been completed.

The great thing about living in southern california now is all of the subject matter expertise that i can call up when i have a problem. If you've already spoken to Todd Eagan, you can't really go wrong with following his advice with regards to modifications to make your bike work better. The Socal club has a monthly run originating at the Lookout on S Ortega hwy in N San Diego county that Ingrid and I make the trek down for every month. I highly recomend it if you can make the time !

Things got a bit more serious and MGNA was able to determine that the recall had NOT indeed been performed. Pretty sad when a dealer puts a few shekkils in his pocket and sells out a person's safety.

Sadly, all too common. In the past year, I recall four instances of recall work not done that had already been claimed by other dealers. These were for single-plate clutches and Cali cam updates.

Guest Gary Cheek

Sadly, all too common. In the past year, I recall four instances of recall work not done that had already been claimed by other dealers. These were for single-plate clutches and Cali cam updates.

Like any machine Guzzis are no better than the people who maintain them. Ya gotta know your dealer if you aren't doing your own. We are lucky here in Michigan to have GT Motors in Lansing and Detroit Eurocycles near Detroit. The sub par dealers are well in the minority. Out on the West coast I would have to make the trek to Moto International or maybe call them for a personal heads up on a good bet in your neighborhood. No doubt they could not publish an opinion but one on one at the phone they may offer some eye opening insight.