Spark plugs

Guest gavin

Guest gavin

Before changing my plugs for a pair of standard spec NGK BPR 6ES (are these standard?) I would like to know if anybody out there has any experience, or opions, on other grades or the flashier Titanium or triple point items.

Are the adverts true or is it all just so much bull????

Cheers

Gavin

I'm using NGK PFR6B-11 that I had left over from my 300zx. Perhaps a very slight reduction in "pinging." But that is rather hard to quantify.

I like to use the bpr6es because they are cheap and I like to throw them away every valve adjustment. Platinum is theoretically better than nickel and copper as it acts kind of like a spray nozzle on a hose to make the spark fly further with less required energy.

But if your coils and lines are up to snuff, then the only difference is the longevity. But I like to throw mine away, because the compression washer is only really good for a couple of torquings, so cheap is good.

NOTE: Above statements are purely opinionated speculation and as long is you stay in the right heat range, your choice is AOK. :sun:

There was a thread about indexing a while back.

I think that is worth a try.

The trick is to get the open side of the spark plug facing the intake valve by spacing the washer so that it torques down correctly while facing the right direction.

My only question is what size washer and where to get various gauges???

Guest vkerrigan

I switched to the BPR6 Platinum a while back for their longevity, but I've noticed no performance gain at all. Since the plugs are so easily accessable, I guess a case could be made either way for the more frequent changing of the stock plugs versus the high mileage platinum. FYI......the plugs run about $8.00 per.........vkerrigan