Fork Height

Lamedog

My '02 V11 just hit 20 K miles, and I plan to change the fork oil over the upcoming holiday. Was considering lowering the forks in the triple clamp a bit to make the bike a little less "stable", since its not unusual to return near exhausted from hopping across the saddle if the roads get a little too twisty.

The current set has the bar clamps directly on the triple clamp and the fork top cover immediately on the bar clamp. I can't find a spare millimeter anywhere in the stack. What would the stock setup look like? (couldn't find this in my thread search) - and any thoughts on a start point for quicking the steering a bit? (this has been hashed pretty regular, but new members may want a break from the political threads..)

If I read you correctly it seems that you have the stock setup.

You might try lowering the bar clamps 1/4 - 3/8 inch, and then lower the triple clamps down the forks to meet the bar clamps.

Note there is a safety bolt helping to keep the bar clamps all tight to the upper triple clamp, so you need to loosen and retighten it.

It is possible to simply lower the bar clamps and triples at the same time, but I prefer lowering the bar clamps seperately.

But what is most important is to get your sag set well. :luigi:

My '02 V11 just hit 20 K miles, and I plan to change the fork oil over the upcoming holiday. Was considering lowering the forks in the triple clamp a bit to make the bike a little less "stable", since its not unusual to return near exhausted from hopping across the saddle if the roads get a little too twisty.

The current set has the bar clamps directly on the triple clamp and the fork top cover immediately on the bar clamp. I can't find a spare millimeter anywhere in the stack. What would the stock setup look like? (couldn't find this in my thread search) - and any thoughts on a start point for quicking the steering a bit? (this has been hashed pretty regular, but new members may want a break from the political threads..)

That is how it comes from the factory. I've dropped mine so about 10mm of the fork tubes show above the bar clamps. As Dave said, setting sag is your 1st step.

Guest Gary Cheek

My short WB 2001 has the top clamp a full 15 mm below the leg top. I rarely use the steering damper, usually when loaded aft with camping gear or hitch hiking cutie. The steering is light and responsive and about as stable as I care to have it. :D