03 valve set..again..

Guest Le Man

Guest Le Man

Took my bike out for a while earlier today w/ the valves set .004 and .006. Idled about 150 rpm lower than before and stalled at idle..not a happy engine. Read everyones thoughts and reset the valves tonight @ .008 and .010. Idle back up to 1100, crisp w/ no stalling and very little change in valve noise. Now I've been a mechanic all my life but I need someone to explain this to me real slow and simple..ok?

On another topic..for you 03 Lemans owners..I removed the "dashboard" if you will, you know that piece under your instruments. Easy to get out just undo the inst. cluster (then pick-up the washers from under the bike), undo the four dashboard fasteners and work the piece out. It is like finding a hidden room in your house! Plenty of room for a set of horns, a PCIII unit, etc. and it looks pretty cool with it out, some nice flat black framework under there. I am leaving mine off for a while and thinking about how I will use this space.

One more and I'm done..I'm in the marine business and we use a product called "Teffgel" when we assemble parts made of dissimilar metals that are expected to be in a corrosive environment. ( e.g. stainless to aluminium) .

To say this works is an understatement. If anyone is interested I'll try and find a supplier for you.

Mike

Da Man,

OoooKkkkk, I will take it slooooow.... I believe the difference in idle speed from different valve lash settings has to do with cam duration. More valve clearence lowers cam duration which will cause the valves to open later and close earlier. High duration cams need a higher idle speed to keep them idling. I have played around with my 00 V11Sport quite abit when I first bought it. With the Raceco valve specs, I could get a very strong idle at a lower RPM. Rock solid ! :bier:

I think boats have more of a problem with corrosion, especially in salt water. Aluminum has always been a problem around salt and magnesium is far worst. Chevrolet has a magnesium transfer case in their 4wd. vehicles and they use epoxy covered bolts to prevent corrosion with magnesium. One scrape on the magnesium case and one winter back east with salt covered roads and the magnesium case will be gone! How did I get on this topic! :homer:

Mike