4V head covers

Paul Minnaert

I think there must be 4V guzzi owners here, for who this is interesting.

Harold from Germany, will get a new series produced, if there are enough people interested. So anyone who wants a few, send him an email, at the address at the bottom of this post.

Hello everybody, this is Harold from good old Germany speaking!

Okay, this is the story:

I am planning to release a new starter motor for all Guzzi V 2-engines. You will know about the pros and cons of BOSCH and Valeo, and I will have a starter with hopefully only pros. For this project (soon it will be released) I have produced a new starter drive cover in order to adopt the Mitsubishi starter to the Guzzi block. This part is made from aluminium die cast, and I have let it made in Taiwan.

Those people made a nice job: Very good quality of the die cast, all threading, milling and grinding jobs perfect. Tolerances great.

So, when I saw this die cast thing, I thought of all the poor 4-valves drivers. The covers are not available anymore, and second hand ones are rare to find and expensive. So why not producing new ones for a low price?

I took a sample of the covers to Taiwan last week, and this is the result:

Tooling fee for the die cast mould around 7800 US $. Price per piece 3,50 US $ (TRUE!!!!).

So, the price for one valve cover is around 80 $ when we let produce 100 pieces. Expensive, I think.

With 200 covers, you can calculate that, the price will be only around 40 something $.

So the challenge is to get confirmed orders for new valve covers. The more we have, the lower the price. So far in Germany I could collect some 80 covers.

So, anyone interested?

Here are some more important remarks:

The project will only get startet if we can reach some 200 covers, otherwise the price is too high for most of the bikers. This project will happen once, not a steady job.

I would organize import with paying the manufacturer, shippings, customs etc. About your payment details we can talk when we know this all will happen.

I have to say that I do this NOT FOR PROFIT! No business for me, I just like the projects and considers it as sports. I run my own business in Germany with some 50 people, completely different branch, so I am not interested and do not have the need for some extra money.

Regarding the quality: The covers will not be painted. Raw material, but with a nice smooth surface. I am not sure yet about the "GUZZI"-Logo - I have to get a permission from Piaggio, I guess. Otherwise it will be blank or so.

Okay, that´s it. So, if anyone shows interest in getting a pair or more, please send an email to me. Again, I just need to figure out about the total demand. It is not an offer that is 100 % for sure. Only if we will get the 200 pieces!

Thanks for reading.

Harold

email: harold.quirl at t-online.de

yes and centauro and mgs01. What other 4v are there besides small block?

It is a bit confusing sometimes as 4v can reffer to the total sum of the valves (so then 2 valver per cylinder) or to the valve per cylinder. Guzzi calls the new grisos 8V (on the tanks)

It is a bit confusing sometimes as 4v can reffer to the total sum of the valves (so then 2 valver per cylinder) or to the valve per cylinder. Guzzi calls the new grisos 8V (on the tanks)

I think there was a clue in Harolds message :thumbsup: :

"So, when I saw this die cast thing, I thought of all the poor 4-valves drivers. The covers are not available anymore, and second hand ones are rare to find and expensive. So why not producing new ones for a low price?"

V11 Sport and other 2 valve model rocker covers out of production? ;)

I guess the reason Guzzi are calling the new Griso 1200 an 8v is to differentiate that engine from the earlier Daytona/Centauro/MGS-01 4 valve per cylinder versions as there appears to be completely new camshaft and valve train arrangement.

GJ

I think there was a clue in Harolds message :thumbsup: :

"So, when I saw this die cast thing, I thought of all the poor 4-valves drivers. The covers are not available anymore, and second hand ones are rare to find and expensive. So why not producing new ones for a low price?"

V11 Sport and other 2 valve model rocker covers out of production? ;)

GJ

Thanks , I read the long messeges at glance so ..... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Harold send me this update:

"Hi folks, here is an update. This is the actual status:

I am still collecting quantities for the project. Thanks to the great Guzzi-community, I have reservations from United States, Australia, Austria, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, UK, France, Switzerland, and more. So far I got around 140 pieces, which is not enough to reach the target price. And, these 140 pieces include 20 pieces I will buy myself, although I neither have a profit from this project nor I have a 4 valve Guzzi. I am only sure, that sooner or later some people will ask for it, so I can supply some covers for a while.

The problem is, that most of the Guzzisti only buy for the lowest price. For a higher price – even 20 Euros more – the order number shrinks rapidly. So, it has to be 200 pieces at least, otherwise the project will not happen at all.

After I reach this target number (God knows when this will be), I will place the order to the Taiwanese manufacturer and pay the tooling fee in advance. Then they will make the tooling and after that a prototype, which I will have to approve. All this will take around 6 weeks. Hopefully in the first run it will be okay, otherwise improvements will have to be made. But I am confident they will do a good job. Have a look at the attached pictures, which show a cover for a new Guzzi starter motor (this is another project from me, very soon to be released.)

After my final approval, the Taiwanese will produce the 200 covers, which will take only a few days. Then the shipment by sea - around 30 to 40 days. Then I will send from Germany to the rest of the Guzzi-world. The exact delivery costs will be named then to you. Maybe you can arrange only one shipment for me to France, then you distribute the covers internally.

So, the time schedule depends on when I will have the 200 cover orders. Probably the goods are here in April or May next year, who knows?

Besides: meanwhile I am trying to get a permission from the German importer of Moto Guzzi to use the original design for the covers with the Guzzi-logo - this is really tricky!!!!

Hopefully this information will help you along.

Merry X-Mas everybody!

Harold

ok I'm interested here with the Centauro! can't figure out the email however!

Try him here

harold.quirlt-online.de

(replace the with the normal @ - spambot prevention ;) )

GJ

Bumping this one up again as Harold has issued an update:

Dear Guzzi-owners,

please have a look at the attached file. It shows the actual status for

orders for the 4-valve-covers projectfor Centauro - Daytona - MGS01.

Please

check wether I put you in with the right number of covers.

By now I received orders for around 165 covers, so hopefully in a few

weeks

I can place the order to Taiwan. But, to reach the target quantity

a.s.a.p.,

I ask you to please do more promotion for this project through

Internet-communities, clubs, websites etc. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!

I will update you from time to time.

Thank you.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

Harold Quirl

Email harold.quirlt-online.de Spambot prevention: replace with the usual@)

Guest Mattress

Harold send me this update:

"Hi folks, here is an update. This is the actual status:

I am still collecting quantities for the project. Thanks to the great Guzzi-community, I have reservations from United States, Australia, Austria, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, UK, France, Switzerland, and more. "Which country ordered the most? is what a lot of hicks here are asking!

The problem is, that most of the Guzzisti only buy for the lowest price. I find that untrue. and offensive. I'll bid the highest price! {but if it is more than $50 I have to ask the wife}

• 4 weeks later...

Last update :

I could collect pre-orders for 230 covers so far. So this thing will happen!

I tell you what, guys: This Guzzi-community works so great worldwide. It´s a real pleasure for me to talk to those bikers and feel their support to my project.

Great people in France and Italy, as they will organize the nationwide distribution on their own. This saves me a lot of work, as I will have to ship only once to those countries.

Next steps:

Next weekend I will transfer the money to the taiwanese manufacturer. I will be in Taiwan end of February, then we will discuss all the details for production.

I will keep you updated.

Again (as I received a lot of inquiries about the quality of the covers):

The covers will be an exact copy of the original ones. No additional features, but also no paint! The painting has to be done by yourself. But in my opinion the quality of the covers will be so nice that painting is not necessary. A matter of taste, I think.

Could please someone forward this posting to the other Centauro-Daytona-internet-communities? Thank you.