V7 Sport Starter

Guest aironepony

Guest aironepony

Good evening! After some long time I am once again putting finger to keyboard in the search for answers amongst the illuminati.

I am doing up a v7 Sport. It is going along nicely. A few glitches here and there like new cylinders and pistons, a new crank and a few other minor items that have to be sorted.

My query is about starter motors. The Bosch that was fitted has obviously been used on a submarine. It was full of rust, the field coils crumbled when touched and the plate that houses the brushes had been converted to iron oxide too. It could be resurrected with new internals, but I'm interested in using a VALEO.

Now....the thing is, the BOSCH has an eight toothed pinion, and the VALEO has nine. I assume that they are both the same pitch and that the VALEO is offset from the flywheel starter ring by an appropriate amount to compensate for the larger diameter of its pinion.

Is this so???.......................... :oldgit:

Guest aironepony

Thanks for the replies so far.................but.......does anyone know about the difference in the number of teeth on the pinions?

Now....the thing is, the BOSCH has an eight toothed pinion, and the VALEO has nine. I assume that they are both the same pitch and that the VALEO is offset from the flywheel starter ring by an appropriate amount to compensate for the larger diameter of its pinion.

................................ :oldgit:

Hey aironepony. I doing the same thing you are for a guy that owns a 73 V7 sport. The bosch unit thats on thier is fine and could also probably be saved but over the years its be beating the crap out of the ring gear. Does the Valeo cure this? or is it just one of those things guzzi does?