My first Guzzi

scottybee

I just bought a 2003 LeMans, went down to Jacksonville Fla. and rode back to Ohio last weekend. Could not have hoped for better weather this time of year, it was a great trip. :bike:

Now I'm trying to learn about the bike and decide what sort of things I want to do to it.

As far as I know the bike is all stock. So far I have experienced the shift return spring problem. (shifter just does'nt pop right back up when downshifting to 3rd). But so far it does come back up within a second or two.

I've been reading about various mods. that a lot of you guys seem to be making. I don't know if I have a PCIII or not where is it located and how can I tell if it's a stock ECU or PCIII?.

There seems to be some difference of opinion on the front crossover pipe. Is it good or bad?

In FAQ, I found a link to Galassetti exhaust, http://www.galassetti.it/foto/guzzi/index.php I really like those but can anyone tell me about them. Can we even get them here in the states? How much are they?

Are they just slip on's?

I also like the red (I think they're called "pork chops") footpeg bracket's and valve covers. Where can I get those?

Any help and or advice is much appreciated... :bier:

Thanks

I just bought a 2003 LeMans, went down to Jacksonville Fla. and rode back to Ohio last weekend. Could not have hoped for better weather this time of year, it was a great trip. :bike:

Now I'm trying to learn about the bike and decide what sort of things I want to do to it.

As far as I know the bike is all stock. So far I have experienced the shift return spring problem. (shifter just does'nt pop right back up when downshifting to 3rd). But so far it does come back up within a second or two.

I've been reading about various mods. that a lot of you guys seem to be making. I don't know if I have a PCIII or not where is it located and how can I tell if it's a stock ECU or PCIII?.

There seems to be some difference of opinion on the front crossover pipe. Is it good or bad?

In FAQ, I found a link to Galassetti exhaust, http://www.galassetti.it/foto/guzzi/index.php I really like those but can anyone tell me about them. Can we even get them here in the states? How much are they?

Are they just slip on's?

I also like the red (I think they're called "pork chops") footpeg bracket's and valve covers. Where can I get those?

Any help and or advice is much appreciated... :bier:

Thanks

oh good god where to begin, I think fast by ferracci makes a nice (cheaper) crossover, if you do the rear crossover you don't need a front one, the front one was put there to eliminate the need for a new rear one. As for galesstti they are somewhere around $1400 shipped to the states if I remember right, better off finding the Guzzi Ti kit for that kind of money then you don't need a PCIII or a tune. :huh2: plus they mount high like galassetti, unless you want carbon :huh2: pipes are pipes are pipes in a Guzzi, you don't get any real gains just more noise. The PCIII if you had one would be plugged into your ECU by way of the wiring harness and its REALLY hard to miss if you so have one it would be tucked inside the tail behind the seat.

red pork choppers, might want to ask someone like bigbickerrick he might have had red ones, if they're still any good. otherwise Rossopuro maybe, or just have them powder coated red, basically the same.

gd'lk

oh good god where to begin, I think fast by ferracci makes a nice (cheaper) crossover, if you do the rear crossover you don't need a front one, the front one was put there to eliminate the need for a new rear one.

Well my bike already has the front crossover, I'm just wondering if I would be better off trying to find a system without it. I've seen some post's about problems with gaskets and clamps and rattleing. I'm not particularly looking to get carbon. I like them But I do park outside all day at work, and I hear they fade from the sun.

What I like about the Galassetti pipes is the way they mount inside the rear footpeg brackets, sort of under the fender. But I doubt I would spend that much.

I don't think I've seen the MG Ti kit yet, I'll try to check it out.

I really don't need any more power either but I would like to hear the pipes when I'm riding.

Welcome to the fold!

Take the time to properly get to know and care for the beast and you will have a very rewarding time together! :oldgit:

Following on in the spirit of the thread title.....

This was my first Guzzi. It is my first photograph of it before I actually bought it!

It was taken in the Ballacraine Hotel car park in 1980.

750_S301.JPG

It morphed quite a lot in the eleven years I owned it!

750_S300a.jpg

Nige. B)

Congratulations! I hope you grow to love the LeMans as much as I do mine. There are a couple of things you mentioned that I might speak to. The shift spring trouble you describe is something I experience occasionally too. I am not sure if that is a symptom of the spring binding on the boss or something different. (That would probably be good to know from someone.) However, if you give it just a tiny bit of gas after you release the clutch, that pops it back up. Once upon a time, I knew something of the "theory" about crossovers and how they affect performance in relation to where they're positioned in the exhaust system. Up near the head, I think (???) it is supposed to help bottom end power a bit. In either case, (with/without) it should not be detremental to performance. The only thing I recall that was of concern in the past was creating more heat around the alternator.

Without knowing you mileage, if it is low, the enging will evolve considerably over time and will require periodic adjustment to run good. Know that it will run great even when it needs a valve adjustment or TB sync, so I don't want you to think it's bad. It's just that you will continue to see improvement for many miles. Getting my LeMans reminded me of how much my EV evolved, where it was and where it is in terms of smoothness and how often the above mentioned adjustments need to be done. I hardly touch it any more. A sloppage sheet from Pete Roper is recomended to help keep the oil near the pickup during hard acceleration. This is something many of us are concerned about.

As to the pork chops, you can have your own anodised or probably purchase the other ones. It would probabaly be cheaper and quicker to have your own done. Also, I have noticed over time, exposed to sunlight, that red will fade. Not really noticable at first, but over time becomes really noticable. I considered it too, but decided against it for reason mentioned above.

Mufflers: You have several options. M4 slip ons sound great. Staintunes sound great too. I don't know if you can still get them though. I put the M4 Ti cans on mine. I have been satisfied. Otherwise, the bike is stock. Mistralls are another option.

I have a set of Mototec bar risers waiting to be installed. I'll report on them as soon as I stick them on.

Search previous posts, I posted about tank suck. Read it. Heed it!! Save your self a bit of anguish.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Edit: If there is a PC3 on board, you will find the wiring that plugs into the puter plugged into a PC3 that has a harness going into the stock puter. The bikes that come with the crossover got a new map at that time. I'm not so sure that the newer bikes would benefit as much from the Power Commander as the previous models. Food for thought.

. . . I don't think I've seen the MG Ti kit yet, I'll try to check it out.

Great choice amongst many great V11 models. Here is a pic of the MG Ti's. I got mine from MPH, which advertises up top. But Greg Field from Moto International on here also has access to some as well, I think. The Italian Quat D is another alternative that really opens up the looks of the LeMans.

image.jpg

Great choice amongst many great V11 models. Here is a pic of the MG Ti's. I got mine from MPH, which advertises up top. But Greg Field from Moto International on here also has access to some as well, I think. The Italian Quat D is another alternative that really opens up the looks of the LeMans.

image.jpg

you should trade me your blue resivor covers for my gold ones. I think that swap would make both look just a lil bit better as the gold is real close to the ohlins gold. :huh2:

I got'em thinking gold series brakes but they don't really fit the bike I should have gone silver or red, but blue is aight too. ah well if you don wanna thats fine too.

IMG_0731.jpg

maybe I'll just sell these outright to anyone who wants'em and get the red or silver ones, just that gold is not right on my scheme, and when I install the rosso mandello tank I got and undecided tail color I don't know. :huh:

If you do decide to go for a new crossover you may want to avoid the Ferracci crossover. They lack a support bracket which may contribute to cracking of the headers. Also they may have QC issues. I know of at least three people (including myself) that have had their crossovers crack due to what I suspect as poor fitting and welding technique.

you should trade me your blue resivor covers for my gold ones. I think that swap would make both look just a lil bit better as the gold is real close to the ohlins gold. :huh2: . . .

I like the blue . . . though gold or red would work too.

image.jpg

Where in Minnesota are you. I will be working around Minneapolis most of next year. I plan on bringing my bike with me.

I like the blue . . . though gold or red would work too.

image.jpg

Where in Minnesota are you. I will be working around Minneapolis most of next year. I plan on bringing my bike with me.

I live in Crystal(pronounced CRIS-taal :lol: ) which is less than 10miles from downtown, by robbinsdale, new hope, brooklyn center, and actually pretty close to the city limits of Minneapolis also. basically I stick to the Northwest Suburbs but with my current job I have a pretty good knowledge of the whole twin cities, Drop me a line when you get into town and we can get some Coffee at Bettys then ride along the river a little ways and the campus :wub: then out towards redwing(like the shoes, they're made there) :thumbsup: all the good roads are down towards winona and up towards duluth. either one over an hour ride away.