Dealer won't work on a bike with a power commander?

NorBSATriGuzzi

I still would like to try a Sport, similar to mine, that has a PCIII. I can't and won't say anything bad about PCIII's, simply because I've never tried one. What I can say, is that I am very happy with the way my bike runs without one. I may buy one someday just to try it out, though.

Dave, am I going to have to ride to San Diego? Damn that town with all it's...climate...and seals. :grin:

Yah, come visit and I'll take you clubbing :grin: But not for seals :lol:

sign111.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO the "older" bikes, say pre '03 seem to benifit more from the PCIII than the '03's and up... I also think that the newest PCIII's can regulate each injector individually, which is a good thing. Todd, feel free to chime in here.

John/et al, ALL bikes will benefit from a PCIII (some with, some without custom mapping - Ok, and to perhaps be completely fair, a seemingly handful of ways to "correct" mapping), '98-current. Perhaps the OEM mapping is better on the newer models, but I've seen the gamut of revisions using Tuning Link. Seems that most running issues with the PCIII are *user* induced/created.

Yes the newest PCIIIusb can map each cylinder, and yes each side should only be done utilizing Tuning Link. Those who have it done this, perhaps can/will comment here.

This is getting slightly dated now, but you'll get the point; http://www.guzzitech.com/PCs-Todd_E.html

Otherwise, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

My $.03.

..... I told him I was going to put pipes, airbox lid elim and crossover on. He reccommended doing that first so he could tune it to that set-up. When I mentioned the PCIII he said he won't work on a bike with one on it, he thinks they are trouble. .... :unsure:

This makes perfect sense, you should just read carefully what NorBSATriGuzzi wrote. The fact that you sell these PCIII stuff may impair you a bit in this discipline.

It seems that his dealer is capable to tune the ecu without the help of this expensive crutch. If he can do this, then he can adjust everything that may be necessary to be adjusted in this ecu, be it spark advance, temperature correction or pressure correction.

You PC guys know that and so you also should know that this PC bling is not capable to provide this capabilities.

So why should he let his dealer tune his bike, having hidden the PC, and after that reinstall the PC? Can anyone think of a bigger self cheating?

Hubert

I still would like to try a Sport, similar to mine, that has a PCIII. I can't and won't say anything bad about PCIII's, simply because I've never tried one. What I can say, is that I am very happy with the way my bike runs without one. I may buy one someday just to try it out, though.

Dave, am I going to have to ride to San Diego? Damn that town with all it's...climate...and seals. :grin:

Mine needed one after I put the pods, cans and pipes on, unless I was going to ping it to death or have the ECU flashed, I heard flashing is better but then I don't know because it costs almost the same as getting a PCIII AND a dyno tune of it. Come up here and take mine for a spin before you hit St.Louie, I think it runs perfect 98% of the time, extended rush hour causes pings and sputters here and there. :huh2: NOW if I unplug the PCIII I don't know if it'll even stay running :huh:

This makes perfect sense, you should just read carefully what NorBSATriGuzzi wrote. The fact that you sell these PCIII stuff may impair you a bit in this discipline.

It seems that his dealer is capable to tune the ecu without the help of this expensive crutch. If he can do this, then he can adjust everything that may be necessary to be adjusted in this ecu, be it spark advance, temperature correction or pressure correction.

You PC guys know that and so you also should know that this PC bling is not capable to provide this capabilities.

So why should he let his dealer tune his bike, having hidden the PC, and after that reinstall the PC? Can anyone think of a bigger self cheating?

Hubert

Where did you buy your crack ?

thats the funniest thing i read all day

John/et al, ALL bikes will benefit from a PCIII (some with, some without custom mapping - Ok, and to perhaps be completely fair, a seemingly handful of ways to "correct" mapping), '98-current. Perhaps the OEM mapping is better on the newer models, but I've seen the gamut of revisions using Tuning Link. Seems that most running issues with the PCIII are *user* induced/created.

Yes the newest PCIIIusb can map each cylinder, and yes each side should only be done utilizing Tuning Link. Those who have it done this, perhaps can/will comment here.

This is getting slightly dated now, but you'll get the point; http://www.guzzitech.com/PCs-Todd_E.html

My $.03.

Please don't construe that I was knocking it. Personally, I advocate it whole heartedly. I think the Tuning Link session is worth the bucks. It is on my EV and will remain unless I upgrade with a newer one.

As I stated, the trouble I had was of my own doing. (Responding to another claim of trouble.) Otherwise, after many thousands of miles, it has been trouble free! I felt that worth mentioning since I rack up some miles on the bike.

Also, I apologise if I implied the newer bikes won't benefit. I was simply saying that there was a noticible improvement in the stock puter. (This comment was based on riding my '01 EV compared to an '03 EV, which I have also ridden.) I know I mentioned my LM. It does not have that very defined flat spot the EV had without the PCIII.

Thank you for confirming what I thought about the newer PC's running seperate maps for each injector.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

Guest Mattress

Hubert

I never really understood German humour ;)

:2c: The dealer he is working with probably had a bad experience trying to sort out some F***kwit's hacked up bike. There possibly might have been a bad batch of them out there as I know one other Guzzi rider who had trouble with his bike dying unexpectedly and unpredictably, but he also said he never bothered to sort it out to see if it was a short or whatever.

This poster lives in the Midwest of America. I'd bet a dollar his dealer can't reflash an ECU. I have heard of very few shops in the U.S. doing this, and most seem to be on the coast. I don't know any Guzzi dealers around here that can. For all we know this poor guy is living in the middle of Indiana. :o He could be hours or days away from anyone who knows really what they are doing beyond basic service. Or just really what they are doing period. :glare:

My $.03.

So Todd, DO you recommend having the bike checked out/adjusted (valves, fuel inj....etc...) before installing pipes, PCIII, airbox...etc?

:2c: The dealer he is working with probably had a bad experience trying to sort out some F***kwit's hacked up bike.

Quite possible. Dealers do have to put up with a lot of crazy people.

. For all we know this poor guy is living in the middle of Indiana.

Dude, that's harsh...

Oh, and let's please not turn this into a PCIII vs anti-PCIII flamewar.

We've been throught that before and it doesn't do anyone any good.

:thumbsup:

Guest Mattress

Dude, that's harsh...

:thumbsup:

Sorry Dude, I was maybe feeling very Un-Dude. I lived in the uhum great state of Indy once. Very Michi-ana. You can get a great deal on a trailor around Shipsawana.

But if you need a toe, I bet I can get ya one.

Just as long as you know.....I'm calmer than you Dude.

{WHAT WAVING A FUCKING GUN AROUND?}

So Todd, DO you recommend having the bike checked out/adjusted (valves, fuel inj....etc...) before installing pipes, PCIII, airbox...etc?

I absolutely do. Just be sure to have the dealer tell you what the TPS was set to in degrees, so that you know where the baseline is for the PCIII map (if using a pre-built version).