FBF filter and frame

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

I was doing the 10,000km service and noticed that the FBF filter was flattened at the rear of the filter. I was about to give away the old filter top and decided to put it back on(with the FBF filter in place) with 4 x 1" holes drilled in the top(this being done on a previous bike, a 98 Speed Triple and also hearing it mentioned on this site).

Now I have a slightly quieter induction noise but a marked difference on deceleration with the throttle. Whereas previously, closing the throttle was akin to a front brake, now the bike runs smoothly on. I am sure that someone cleverer than I has a mechanical answer for this and I would be interested to hear it.

I also set the valves to Raceco specs and used Platinum plugs. Very smooth running.

Did you change to the raceco valve specs at the same time ast the airbox mod?

I think the valve setting may have more to do with engine breaking, than the airbox. But just guessing.

Guest Brian Robson

I did both things at the same time which of course makes it difficult to figure which is the most significant, but after spending a day riding at a constant ambient 35C and then having a bike refusing to start, I felt that change was required. I still may change all of the relays as after taking them out, cleaning them, letting them cool,, the bike then started.

Just a suggestion, never, ever do more than one modification at a time when doing this kind of tuning work. If you do, you are throwing too many variables into the equation to be able to truly see what direction the changes are taking you.

Everything works together in a synergistic sort of way. Change more than one thing at once and the variables multiply like a gravel slide heading down a hill. Makes it very tough to judge the process & results.

Guest Brian Robson

I do agree with you Rich, and practise that protocol religiously when I work, But I figured on the whole the airbox was going back to where it was in the first place, and the valves would be a bonus if any. It luckily has worked out well, and I even I changed the plugs as well!!!

Synergism was my friend...long may it continue. Thanks Rich.