head temp sensor

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

While perusing my copy of Guzziology I came across an interesting suggestion in the exhaust section. The author states that by switching out the late model cylinder head temp sensor with the the older one ( part#30163301) the CO2 level of the engine can be raised by 1/2%. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this. It's only a 30.00 item so I think I'm going to do some experimenting. It may be a simple cheap way to enrich the fuel mixture. ;)

There are similar and more effective ways than the oil temp sensor. You can use the air temp sensor or air pressure sensor. These have more effect on the mixture. I'd add a gas sensor and display first so that you can see what you're doing. On my site you'll find some circuits indicating how these sensors hook in.

Guest scott

I too would be greatly interested in a simple way to "modify" the siglal the oil temp sensor (located on the right cylinder head) sends to the ECU. I'm convinced this sensor leans out the fuel mixture too much as the engine gets heat soaked while riding on hot summer days.

How do these sensors actually work? Can we modify their signal to the ECU?

:doh:

Guest jeremy

belive it or not I have a brass temp sensor adapter to replace the plastic one and haven't tried it because my Centauro is running excelent (44+ mpg and power to boot, 90+ hp at rear wheel) so I'm kinda weary about changing anything so if some one would like to buy it I'd sell. I paid 33$ for it at my dealer, make an offer, might be just the trick if you ride in inclement weather or have a pcIII to adjust for what it may do.

cheers

I think if you have a stock setup this will make things worse. The sender causes the ECU to richen the mixture when cold. I'm guessing they had to do this because they run the 'hot' mixture extremely lean to get past the EPA. This would make it very 'cold blooded' (i.e. take a very long time to warm up to run properly like some Japanese bikes from the early 80's) The plastic adapter means the sender takes much longer to heat up and your ECU is richening up the mixture longer.

Did that make any sense??

I noticed this because I used a PCIII to richen my mixture but during the warm up period everything got VERY rich. Even though it would run fine once warmed up.

John always-happy-to-add-to-the-confusion Koester

In cold weather (40 's and below) my old '97 Cali would never properly warm up. Gas mileage went to heck and it would sometimes even fouled plugs when riding in really cold weather. Ran fine. But gas mileage and plugs? Ouch! That was the nature of the beast. They all did it to one extent or another.

My '00 V11S has no problems this way. Warms up quickly and gas mileage is consistent no matter the weather or temeperature. I'll stick with the new stuff!