Grinding noise when starting

polebridge

With the nice weather in New Jersey this weekend I decided to get out for a ride on my V11 Coppa. When I pressed the starter button the engine turned over several times without firing at which point I heard a nasty grinding noise (like what you might hear if you tried to start a vehicle that was already running). I then tried the starter again.

Same thing, turns over a few times then grind. After several attempts (all with grinding) it fired up.

Once the bike was warm I shut it off and restarted it. No problems this time. It fired right up before any chance for the grinding noise to start.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? Any suggestions? The rest of the ride was great!

Thanks.

Loose magnets in the starter? I once had these symptoms, goes parallel with a very weak feeling battery.

Hubert

With the nice weather in New Jersey this weekend I decided to get out for a ride on my V11 Coppa. When I pressed the starter button the engine turned over several times without firing at which point I heard a nasty grinding noise (like what you might hear if you tried to start a vehicle that was already running). I then tried the starter again.

Same thing, turns over a few times then grind. After several attempts (all with grinding) it fired up.

Once the bike was warm I shut it off and restarted it. No problems this time. It fired right up before any chance for the grinding noise to start.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? Any suggestions? The rest of the ride was great!

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my Rosso. What I did was to take off the starter & first I just greased the gear inside there. After that I thought about it & removed the starter again & sprayed the gear & shaft really well with wd40. I havent heard that grinding sound since then. It may be the battery as some have said as my battery is the original one from the factory in my bike. Its now 6 years old I guess.

I put the battery tender on yesterday and let it charge all night. This morning was cold but the bike started up no problem at all. It fired after just a couple of cranks with no grinding.

I don't think that the battery was all that low to start with so I guess these bikes are really sensitive to charge levels. I would strongly suggest to everyone that you get a battery tender if you plan on storing your bike for more than a few days. Well worth the investment. I have one tender and two bikes. I will pick up a second battery tender at the NY bike show this month.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Get the Hawker Odyssey. After 5 1/2 years with the original battery, this upgrade made a significant difference.

And , yes, the V11 does seem to be rather voltage sensitive.

I had the same problem with my Rosso. What I did was to take off the starter & first I just greased the gear inside there. After that I thought about it & removed the starter again & sprayed the gear & shaft really well with wd40. I havent heard that grinding sound since then. It may be the battery as some have said as my battery is the original one from the factory in my bike. Its now 6 years old I guess.

Same here, my Rosso battery failed after three years,new Odessey made huge difference. The starter bush may have been dry too on your bike. I will check mine sometime soon.

I have experienced a fault asc with the relay wiring under the seat too,if the tacho stops working the bike may not be charging the battery as well. Found this out the hard way...so just be aware if tacho inoperative at any time. Proding about the relay area corrected the fault for a short time,got me home.