Test ride "rules" when selling a Scura?

Guest nastav

Wow- so many issues, so little time.

First, the insurance thing... you can't insure a bike you don't own, even if you have the VIN. There is the whole "Insurable interest" thing whereby I can't buy coverage if I am not at risk of financial loss. If I don't own it, I'm not at risk. This keeps me from buying a policy on my stupid neighbor's kids car, and collecting when he crashes it (and he will crash it). In the case of insuring it prior to a test ride, if the transaction has not taken place and ownership been transfered, your company will not pay... they always look for a reason not to pay, and you not owning the bike at the time of the accident is a pretty big reason.

Secondly, your liability insurance will not cover damage to your bike caused by a test rider. If you have collision coverage, it will cover damage to your bike. Liability only covers damage to other people's bodies and property.

Thirdly, the test rider is covered under your policy. His accident will also be charged to your policy. Your rates may very well increase because you have "an accident" even though you were not on the bike.

OK, that finishes that. Keep in mind that I am in Oregon and only know the laws for Oregon- your state/country may vary, but the basics are pretty much the same.

I will never let you test ride my bike. I had one bad experience with a guy who thrashed around my neighborhood at warp speed on my GS1100. Not happy.

If you look at my bike and like it, I'll take you for a two-up run through the gears. You buy it. Then you get to take a solo test ride, and if it is as advertised you own it. Once you leave, if you don't come back in 15 minutes to back out of the deal, you own it. Buyer's remorse is not enough to queer the deal.

I put the following statement on every bill of sale:

"I release all interest in, and responsibility for, the above-discribed vehicle at 12:01pm on January 10, 2007." and we both sign it.

You will notice that once the bill of sale is signed, dated, and time-noted (you all do this, right?) I no longer own it and if he wrecks it I'm in the clear.

Them are my rules. I have never had a problem selling any bike because of them, and I have sold a few since the "Suzuki incident" and the adoption of the rules.

Garsdad

Guest gooseorduck

When I bought my 04 V11 Le Mans from a private party, I get the chance to test ride it for about 15 minutes. Took it out for a short ride and made sure all gears are working and everthing to my liking.

The seller just asked to see my drivers license and I promised that I will buy the bike for the price we agreed upon.

My case was unusual, I showed up looking clean, quality leather jacket, arai helmet and introduced myself as an engineer. He trusted me and I didn't let him down. Also, my new car is left sitting in front of his house all the time I was away.

After the ride, I gave him my money and the deal was made.

Trust your first impression, but that's not a guarantee either. It's tough!

BTW, I was planning to buy your Scura, but I ended up getting a brand new Ducati Paul Smart. I might sell my 05 Triumph Thruxton and still buy yours.

Wow- so many issues, so little time.

First, the insurance thing... you can't insure a bike you don't own, even if you have the VIN. There is the whole "Insurable interest" thing whereby I can't buy coverage if I am not at risk of financial loss. If I don't own it, I'm not at risk. This keeps me from buying a policy on my stupid neighbor's kids car, and collecting when he crashes it (and he will crash it). In the case of insuring it prior to a test ride, if the transaction has not taken place and ownership been transfered, your company will not pay... they always look for a reason not to pay, and you not owning the bike at the time of the accident is a pretty big reason.

Garsdad

I just spoke with Progressive. I'm interested in picking up a bike on Sunday. The owner has agreed to a 30-mile guided test ride. I asked Progressive whether my policy I have with them (on my Breva 1100) covers me. They said, "Yes." They also recommended that I call Progressive before Sunday, add the (potentially) new bike onto my policy effective at 12:01 a.m. Sunday. If I don't buy the bike, I can call them back and cancel it within three days for no charge.

So, that's what Progressive says, anyway.

Guest ratchethack

You've gotta like wot Progressive has done to the entire vehicle insurance industry through competitive pressure. IMHO they're a yardstick by which all others may be measured. My experience with them goes back 6 years over 4 vehicles. I note that the industry is subject to cyclical influences, where every carrier I've ever had (with the exception of Progressive -- so far.....) goes through periodic phases when they let their customers know exactly when they're no longer interested in their business. This is the message that arrives with jacked up rates and dropped customer service levels. <_<

If you do choose to give a test ride... make sure the test bike has no more than 1 gallon of gas in it... and use your other bike (with a FULL tank of gas) of equal speed and agility to follow the rider on a predetermined course.

I also like the idea of a security deposit of 100%.

If he dumps the bike, you keep the money.

If he likes the bike, you hand over the pink slip.

If he doesn't like the bike, you hand back the money.

Best to have a short contract written up in very unambiguous terms.

:bike:

No rides!!

If potential buyer hurts themself, or worse someone else ,you could be sued!I let buyers take bike for a ride after I'm paid in full, cash or check that clears and give them an hour to check it out.Most legitmate buyers will agree to this.Also a V11 is not for a rookie or inexperienced rider.Unless you personally know their riding skills you may be taking a big chance.We all know stories of accidents of safe ,experienced riders,..stuff happens.Do you really want to hand your keys over to someone you don't know?

Think twice my friend.