Exhaust pinging at idle....

Richard Z

I started noticing this more and more each time I get ready to ride. Could this be the crossover tube clamps and shims that I've been reading so much about?

And is it a warranty thing or should I just fix it myself? I've seen several variations of the nice shims that have been posted for sale. Maybe I should get busy building my own, or if there are any still available from the initial purchase, I'd be interested.

Richard Z.

Guest ratchethack

Richard, this sounds suspiciously like the kinda grief I've read about extensively here on the '04's with the front crossover. I got to witness how gruesome this can be up close & personal on my Pal's '04 LM. He had it in to the dealer many times with the dreaded sealing problem. They tried wrapping some hi-temp gasket material in there with (as I recall) safety wire a few times, but it never worked. :huh: It was one of the more creative kluges I'd ever seen out of any dealership, and this ain't no slouch of a dealer, either. :unsure:

After way too much time & expense, my Pal was going nuts from the constant sound of the crossover banging on the alternator cover. He finally took it out permanently and had the header spigots welded shut (see photo in my driveway at link in thread below). If it weren't for continuing header cracking problems up by the cylinder head (not related to the crossover), this would've solved his exhaust problems. :doh: He never noticed any change in performance after parting ways with the crossover.

See link here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=109942

Good luck. ^_^