repaint tank?

wheelsucker

I thought that I had escaped this problem since I haven't experienced most problems talked about on this forum, guess I've been lucky up till now. I noticed my tank paint is starting to peel/crack on the bottom side near the front of the tank. I'm wondering how some of you if any have fixed this problem before it got too bad. And for those that have gotten thier tanks repainted, what did it cost you and where'd you take it? If it needs to be repainted, I want it done by someone that can paint it like the original paint scheme.

I thought that I had escaped this problem since I haven't experienced most problems talked about on this forum, guess I've been lucky up till now. I noticed my tank paint is starting to peel/crack on the bottom side near the front of the tank. I'm wondering how some of you if any have fixed this problem before it got too bad. And for those that have gotten thier tanks repainted, what did it cost you and where'd you take it? If it needs to be repainted, I want it done by someone that can paint it like the original paint scheme.

Good old Guzzi! can't imagine Honda having problems like this......Guzzi should p :luigi: ay!

wheel, I had the same problem. Lost about a 4 x 2 inch strip of paint off the front inside (facing the forks). I have heard of others getting their's replaced by Guzzi.....but unless you have a wonderful dealer (MPH, MG, Moto Int, etc) then I would just take care of it myself. Unfortuneatly I had horrible dealer support where I used to live (huge 4-banger shop that carried Guzzis on the side) and ended up taking care of my engine case paint and tank myself. I had my entire bike (tank, rear cowl, cowl seat cover) prepped and painted a custom color for $450. Mine is a satin finish, so no wet sanding....so was much cheaper. My guy is local and just does bikes.

If you don't know of anyone, you should stop by a custom chopper shop (seems they are every where these days) and ask them to recommend a local few painters. You could just have them patch the bad spot and blend it in.....but if you have 1 problem....it probably means that there is a deaper pait issue and other areas may start to pop up. If I were you, I'd just have the entire tank re-prepped and painted.

good luck

Its not just a guzzi thing I have seen other plastic tanks with similar issues. Most any good paint or body shop can paint cycle parts especially plastic using the proper hardeners and flex aditives. I had my 03 done for about $650, much better quality than the factory.

Wheelsucker-

If youo find a painter in the area (VA, MD, DC, etc.) that you are happy with, and who does a great job for you, please let me know... and post pics!

Its not just a guzzi thing I have seen other plastic tanks with similar issues. Most any good paint or body shop can paint cycle parts especially plastic using the proper hardeners and flex aditives. I had my 03 done for about $650, much better quality than the factory.

Well that's the problem with plastic stuff, theere should be good quality surfacers applied before painting and at certain temps and even then the paint job is done OK, it won't last as much as on a metalic surface.

Guzzi have false choice on getting plastic stuff on their bikes.

I would suggest Createx auto-air series for painting plastics as well , hands down.

I just plan to get one of these and be done with it at some point. prolly 2 years. Sell my Rosso red or the silver at that time and find a way to mount up one of these. I love the classic polished silver look.

guzdif.gif

:food:

how exactly does the monza cap work, does it just flip up? he offers a screw cap(I'd lose IT I swear) a monza and a fancy aircraft style.

I'm sorry but those chrome tanks are HIDEOUS :bbblll: I'd be blinded by the reflection from the sun, not to mention that tank would be the definition of the word "bling" You might as well chrome your rims and frame too. I love my "arrest me" red paint job. Nothing says Italian like red :mg:

I love my "arrest me" red paint job. Nothing says Italian like red :mg:

Agree with this, I love my red sport; but these polished alloy tanks are beautiful, too. Nothing says 'cafe' like a beaten/wheeled plain aluminum tank. Have you seen that ad for, I think, Davida helmets with a model named Katrien astride an alloy tanked Guzzi cafe bike? Extremely agreeable models, both bike and rider. Perhaps someone might post the image... :wub:

Agree with this, I love my red sport; but these polished alloy tanks are beautiful, too. Nothing says 'cafe' like a beaten/wheeled plain aluminum tank. Have you seen that ad for, I think, Davida helmets with a model named Katrien astride an alloy tanked Guzzi cafe bike? Extremely agreeable models, both bike and rider. Perhaps someone might post the image... :wub:

here you go:

KatGuzDock.jpg