odyssey battery

zoltan c

QUOTE(dlaing @ Jan 27 2007, 02:52 AM) *

No, I can only delete spam, not ignorance laugh.gif

That is painfully apparent.

Sorry, I had no intention of slighting anyone for making ignorant posts, atleast not consciously.

The pun came out all wrong.

I would only have intentions to move the thread, not delete it.

I meant that political threads delete the ignorance, or so I would hope.

Moving the political content of the thread would allow the conversation to continue.

My apologies for writing something that obviously read differently than I intended. :homer:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gary Cheek

QUOTE(dlaing @ Jan 27 2007, 02:52 AM) *

Sorry, I had no intention of slighting anyone for making ignorant posts, atleast not consciously.

My apologies for writing something that obviously read differently than I intended. :homer:

" atleast not consciously." :huh2:

Chalk up another one for Sigmund.

Read differently than intended.?....fer sure

Odyssey, Yuasa, Hawker, Westco and all similar are not good because reverse polarity, not really the right size etc. That is why almost everybody has problems with these overpriced unfit batteries.

In fact the battery was fine- I eventually diagnosed the problem to be the starter solenoid. Swapped solenoid for a good one and the bike starts first time again. Initially symptoms were similar to weak battery but I ruled that out when I took a multimeter to it.

Myself and several other riders I know have been using these batteries for years with no problems.

The Hawker fits indside the compartment exactly like the standard battery, so no problem with size.

Just wondering how a battery thread turned into a political debate? :huh2:

Guy :helmet:

Guest Gary Cheek

Debate? There was a reference to the countries of origin for the different batteries. That moved over to labor unions. More of a discussion than a debate. The ongoing struggle of the ignorant VS the gifted. :notworthy:

Debate? There was a reference to the countries of origin for the different batteries. That moved over to labor unions. More of a discussion than a debate. The ongoing struggle of the ignorant VS the gifted. :notworthy:

I can delete the Wanted, but not The Gifted. :P

Didn't God create the Moto Guzzi to keep the truly Gifted too preoccupied to rule the world? :D

Guest TheRedBaron

I can delete the Wanted, but not The Gifted. :P

Didn't God create the Moto Guzzi to keep the truly Gifted too preoccupied to rule the world? :D

Hi, I am having a problem with my electrical system. Currently on 2nd battery just installed new pc545 and am now finding the voltage at installation 13.80 has dropped in about an hour to 13.36 and still dropping, any ideas on where the leak may be?

Thanks for your help John. h

Hi, I am having a problem with my electrical system. Currently on 2nd battery just installed new pc545 and am now finding the voltage at installation 13.80 has dropped in about an hour to 13.36 and still dropping, any ideas on where the leak may be?

Thanks for your help John. h

OK time is up for the gifted to answer, maybe I am the gifted.

According to Gary and Ratchet I am often wrong, but here is my gifted answer:

Dropping from 13.8 to 13.36 after the engine is running or the battery was just charged is normal.

But if it went from 12.80 to 12.36V you have got a leak.

If that was the case, the simple slow approach would be to pull the fuses and relays and see if that helps.

If it helps, put the relays back in, and wait, if OK start putting the fuse back in.

I bet that you will see a leak through either the ECU or Charger fuse.

You can diagnose the path of leak more quickly with a voltmeter....but I am not gonna bother explaining that unless you are below 12.8V

Guest TheRedBaron

Dropping from 13.8 to 13.36 after the engine is running or the battery was just charged is normal.

If that was the case, the simple slow approach would be to pull the fuses and relays and see if that helps.

If it helps, put the relays back in, and wait, if OK start putting the fuse back in.

You can diagnose the path of leak more quickly with a voltmeter....but I am not gonna bother explaining that unless you are below 12.8V

O.K, since my last post, voltage is at 12.65. I pulled the fuses but not relays. Did that just now. I did not notice any voltage across fuse terminals that left me confused. And the last battery was a yausa and lasted only 2 months

O.K, since my last post, voltage is at 12.65. I pulled the fuses but not relays. Did that just now. I did not notice any voltage across fuse terminals that left me confused. And the last battery was a yausa and lasted only 2 months

Just pulled head out and I am seeing more clearly now. Pulled ALL the fuses and checked voltage. BAM ecu drop of 7.88 , does this mean that the ecu is bad?

I don't know if the metals used in the PC545 are different from a typical lead acid battery, but I think they are chemically very close, based on what I've read about them.

Ordinary lead acid batteries will take on a so-called "suface charge" when fully charged. It takes very few amp-hours to discharge this down to the range of 12.6 to 12.85 volts. At point, the rate of voltage drop versus amp-hours decreases much slower. This surface charge will usually dissapate merely by leaving the battery at rest, engine off, for a few hours. Then the voltage will give a true indication of battery state of charge. When I'm in a hurry, after the engine is off, I'll turn on the headlights for 3 minutes, turn them off, wait a couple more minutes, then check the voltage.

A rule of thumb is that battery voltage is 12.8 at full charge, and 11.80 at close to zero charge. Temperature effects voltage, too, but not much. There are other threads that get into these second order details.

I've had a new Yuasa YTX 15L in my bike in drydock for about 3 months. The bike is virtually new, so I didn't think there was signficant electrical leakage. That battery discharged down to 12.05 volts in about 3 weeks, which is a lot faster than any of the car batteries I have stored for the winter. That calculates out to a leakage rate of 22.3 milliamps. Since I discovered that, I disconnected it.

I'm interested in the Red Baron's leakage current measurements. I wonder if the Yuasa failure after only two monts was caused simply by a relatively fast leakage rate. If the battery heavily discharged in between rides, it would have been jolted with a major current dump once the bike was started. Letting a battery discharge let's say to about 25%, and then recharging it many times will not do any battery any good, especially if given a fast charge. Unless I'm in a desparate hurry, if I know a battery is seriously discharged, I'll recharge it at 1/10 its amp-hour capacity or less instead of jumpstarting. This avoids the charging circuit hitting the battery with high amps when the engine starts. My batteries usually last 8-10 years on cars, and 5 years on bikes.

Even longer on my Norton Commando once I installed a battery cutoff switch. It was where I could reach down to it while seated. Until I did that, the Zener voltage regulator diode and alternator rectifier leakage reduced life to two seasons at best. I had the bike for 30 years, and all that data is on unsealed Yuasa Batteries.

If the Guzzi didn't have so many connections to the battery terminals, I'd set up a cutoff switch for sure.

Just pulled head out and I am seeing more clearly now. Pulled ALL the fuses and checked voltage. BAM ecu drop of 7.88 , does this mean that the ecu is bad?

12.65V is not bad, a little over 80% charged.

hawkerstatochargpf8.png

So with an ECU fuse socket difference of 7.88V, you apparently have a slow leak.

I have a voltage difference of nearly 10V.

Ryland was talking about getting a battery disconnect. I think if one just put a switch for that fuse the discharge problems would vanish for people with healthy batteries.

I have been pulling my fuse if I am sitting more than two days, but a switch would be more convenient.

The thread I posted about the leak is here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=ecu+fuse

Apparently some have the leak and some don't :huh2:

If someone could find out why, that would be appreciated!!!

Any truly gifted out there????

Guest Gary Cheek

A truly gifted person may prefer to sit back for a while and watch how others sort it out. It's so entertaining! :grin: Mere speculation of course.

A truly gifted person may prefer to sit back for a while and watch how others sort it out. It's so entertaining! :grin: Mere speculation of course.

That would not be very nice. :angry:

Vindictive over a POSSIBLE Freudian slip and partisan differences :huh2:

How about if we come begging, THE GIFTED, we need you!

All I know is I never would have completed a wiring diagram on headlight relays, nor a wiring harnass, nor managed to fix other problems without the help of the gifted on this forum.

There is probably nobody gifted enough to fix the ECU drainage problem....(that is a challenge to both gifted and ignorant :grin: )

Guest TheRedBaron

That would not be very nice. :angry:

Vindictive over a POSSIBLE Freudian slip and partisan differences :huh2:

How about if we come begging, THE GIFTED, we need you!

All I know is I never would have completed a wiring diagram on headlight relays, nor a wiring harnass, nor managed to fix other problems without the help of the gifted on this forum.

There is probably nobody gifted enough to fix the ECU drainage problem....(that is a challenge to both gifted and ignorant :grin: )

Update: I came home for lunch today and low and behold battery is now at 11.8V, this is with all the relays and fuses pulled. I’m stumped. This problem seems to be above my pay grade and I would happily send the bike to a shop to fix if I believed they could fix it. As a mark one mod zero nail masher I am close to the point where I reach for a bigger hammer. If I didn’t love this motorcycle so much id shoot it.

John. H.

:(