Thoughts on a Sport 110?

mojohand

Hey MOJO,

I paid about the same for mine with less than 5K miles and much cleaner.

Looks like it has the Staintune exhaust system, aftermarket sump and aftermarket throttle assembly.

Also probably has leaking fork seals do to the fact that someone has rigged up some foam wrapped with wire ties. You could do better for the money. :2c: These bikes are under appreciated, usually do to the poor state of tune from the factory. These bikes require some fine tuning but ounce you get them dialed in they are much fun!

There is this 96 Sport 1100 in Scottsdale going for around $5K:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kelgroupco/alb...385046239#page1

It's got 42K miles, it's not the injected model, and it looks pretty nice. Ideas? Comments? Price?

I am not a fan of the carbs due to their limmiting "fuel-mapping" capabillities, I have the injection and since I have not riden one I also can't tell many about it's performance or quirks if any.

Though I can tell you the differences with the fuel injection model.

Starting from the back wheel wich is 18 inces vs 17 on the injection mode;. Then the fork (second series carbe had this metalic marzocci , not the red one and rummors have them to be better ones than the one with the red) isn't inverted as on the injected model.

The the oil sump is th narrow one like on the calis , that the sump-plate under needs to be removed when changing the oil filter, vs the injected that you only have to remove the round cup on of the oil sump to change the oil filter.

Some magazine tests want it to be less powered (5/8%) than the injected with also not as smooth power delivery as the inject.*perhaps that's too small details.

And I don' know if it has a helical gear box.

Perhaps all these compartions sound like drawbacks vs the injection model but some of them can be corrected (wheel can be replaced, WP inverted fork from the injection modelcan fit in, oil sump with external filter can be also fitted....as I see it is already fitted)), nevertheless , the injected 1100 is a bit better performer in generral by default(though the carb is as great handler as well since they both share the same chasis), :2c: if you have the option for the '96-'98 1100is (prefferable the '97 and latter) go for these.

Other than that, price sounds nice , I would check for leaks and if the clutch is opperating well (no slipping)

as well as the condition of the brake disks, then if possible,I would try doing a cylinder compression test in a dyno shop , or where it would be available.

:bier:

I've had lots of good times on my Sport 1100...

26243970-M.jpg

46255440-M.jpg

A 17" rear wheel would be nice. So, too, an Ohlins front end.

However, the lack of those luxuries hasn't tarnished my love for this, the most beautiful Moto Guzzi...

If I could get away with it I'd sneak a fuel injected one in to my garage. I don't know enough about the carb ones to comment. But I'd go for the i. I'm sure there's a lot of people with that mind set so you'd get a good price on a carb (purchasers view point) I'm sure they can be set up okay.

Regardless it's the best looking Guzzi to me, it's the one I really fell in lust with, might change if I actually owned one.

If I could get away with it I'd sneak a fuel injected one in to my garage. I don't know enough about the carb ones to comment. But I'd go for the i. I'm sure there's a lot of people with that mind set so you'd get a good price on a carb (purchasers view point) I'm sure they can be set up okay.

Regardless it's the best looking Guzzi to me, it's the one I really fell in lust with, might change if I actually owned one.

Go get one, since you like it you won't regret it , since it's problem free behaviour is as good as it's looks.

One of the best Guzzi ever did.

DSCN05CheBella2.jpg

Guest redguzziv10

just my :2c: worth but i couldn't get on with the 1100injected i had, too much weight on the wrists, and a back ache after an hours riding... sold it very quickly and bought the V11. At firt, i missed the power of the 4V, but being able to ride comfortably more than made up for it.

Latest rumour from my local dealer is that they get their first Griso 1200 4V delivered early September. Just a rumour, but i'm saving my pennies just in case :)

just my :2c: worth but i couldn't get on with the 1100injected i had, too much weight on the wrists, and a back ache after an hours riding... sold it very quickly and bought the V11. At firt, i missed the power of the 4V, but being able to ride comfortably more than made up for it.

Latest rumour from my local dealer is that they get their first Griso 1200 4V delivered early September. Just a rumour, but i'm saving my pennies just in case :)

The 1100 inject isn't a 4valver. The riding postion is certianly more racy and the carbed bike lacked such civilties as a cush drive int he rear drive and helical cut gears it is very smash and grab. They don't make them like that anymore and thier is a good reason for that. Niether version ran particularly well from the factory the carbed version benifits greatly from and after market exhaust and if you are cashed up some FCR flat slides prefably with a quick action throttle. The injected version benifits from an after maket exhaust and Cliffs My15 or something similar. Take the time to set the suspension espcailly on the injected bike as once the wp's are dialed in with the lightwieght wheels they work very very well. The seat hieght is pretty high so if you're particularly vertically challenged it might not be for you. At the age they are getting the swing arm bearings and sterring head bearings are probally getting pretty iffy. Some carbed sports had drama's with the gearboxes. The carbed bikes also have a 18inch rear wheel which in some places is tricky to get more sporting rubber for them. Ideally you nail down a Corsa version which had a few extra's. The side stand touches down eventally on the left and foot peg on the right but only ever come across it at the track.

The version pictured is the carbed on but it has a few extra's like deep V sumps manual fuel taps. They are pretty hard on fuel espcailly if you like to punt it along. The airbox has been removed and I suggest you remove the steering dampener as it servs no useful purpose on this bike. WP also make some heavier spring for the front forks if your like me and the static sags aren't quiet right stock.

The side stand looks like it doesn't self retract anymore not sure why it has bar end mirrors the stock ones are quiet nice and pretty effective IMO. 5kUSD seems a little cheap to me but is certianly about right well used basic versions of this bike fetch that kind of money here but I think sports bike are more valued here than the US.

Bike look a bit uncared for I'd say!

Nothing that couldnt be put right wiv bit of time,enthusiasm an $$$$

As someone commented are you sure its value for $$,is it possible to get more for less $$.

Depend if you gonna enjoy tinkering or riding more? Depends if you are guy who takes great pride ith the appearance or jus wants to ride it.

Up to you but whatever you do I sure you will enjoy the riding! Great bike,classic.

It's got 42K miles, it's not the injected model, and it looks pretty nice. Ideas? Comments? Price?

Jeez, Joe.

You passed on the Mille GT, but are considering this thing at twice the price?????

:huh2:

PS: Update your bike list... we know that B750 has been replaced by the B1100!

:D

Unless you guys in the States got a different speedo than the rest of the world (including the UK) that's not the original speedo - the bike's probably done more than 42k miles.

Unless you guys in the States got a different speedo than the rest of the world (including the UK) that's not the original speedo - the bike's probably done more than 42k miles.

USA Daytonas and Sport 1100s got the older black-faced Veglia clock (with 55 mph in red, even), and the newer white-faced tach.

Parts bin engineering. I'm sure it was cheaper to just drop the older speedo into the Sport and Daytona at the time, or hey, maybe it was a styling element. Ol' Skool, baby!

Both the Daytona and Sport were imported to the USA in very, VERY low numbers...

Mine:

124122275-M.jpg

1_1_.jpgBMW of Daytona was trying to sell this one on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $5995 with less than 3K miles. I don't think it sold. This thing is bone stock, so you could do it up the way you like!