passenger footpegs

v11F

hi guys !

I bought a very nice v11 (2001) after returning to bikes thru Ducati (st2), after Le Mans mk1 many years ago (much fun and nearly changing wife ...)

Has anybody managed to move the passenger footpegs forward ? It seems to me the v11 could be perfectly acceptable 2-up thus (I've never thought of getting a Goldwing ...) I did some good 8 - 9 hour days with the kids on the st2, but I think more than 2h on the v11 wuld be tough as is ...

Mine's still wearing BT57's : can I expect a different bike by putting BT010 or 014 or Michelin Pilot Powers ? The last ones seem to get very good reports and I know how tires can make a difference ...

I have fitted a forward-set rear footpeg mod to my V11. I bought a set of Hepco & Becker hard luggage (similar to the cases fitted to Calis) which is excellent kit but it severely restricted access to the pegs and Mrs mtb couldn’t tuck the heels of her boots behind the pegs which left her feeling a bit insecure.

So I designed a new peg arrangement which moved the pegs forward by an inch and a half. Far enough forward for her to get her feet on comfortably but not so far forward for her toes to interfere with my heels. I have said before on these pages that Mrs mtb reckons this is our comfiest ever bike - due in part to the new peg position. Less bending of ze knees you see.

This peg design was rustled up in an evening, parts were made at work the next day and fitted that night. We were heading off on our first Guzzi Eurotour a couple of days later – so the design had to be kept quick and simple. I had planned to make a more sophisticated set-up later using the folding Guzzi pegs but the “temporary” fixed position pegs have stayed on ever since.

If you want a copy of the drawings get in touch.

I could look into having a few sets made if there is any interest. It would probably cost a bit though. Don’t think I could swing a batch being made at work.

I might even be encouraged to design the new improved model at last.

Resize_of_IMGP0292.jpg

I have fitted a forward-set rear footpeg mod to my V11. I bought a set of Hepco & Becker hard luggage (similar to the cases fitted to Calis) which is excellent kit but it severely restricted access to the pegs and Mrs mtb couldn’t tuck the heels of her boots behind the pegs which left her feeling a bit insecure. 

So I designed a new peg arrangement which moved the pegs forward by an inch and a half. Far enough forward for her to get her feet on comfortably but not so far forward for her toes to interfere with my heels. I have said before on these pages that Mrs mtb reckons this is our comfiest ever bike - due in part to the new peg position. Less bending of ze knees you see.

This peg design was rustled up in an evening, parts were made at work the next day and fitted that night. We were heading off on our first Guzzi Eurotour a couple of days later – so the design had to be kept quick and simple. I had planned to make a more sophisticated set-up later using the folding Guzzi pegs but the “temporary” fixed position pegs have stayed on ever since.

If you want a copy of the drawings get in touch.

I could look into having a few sets made if there is any interest. It would probably cost a bit though. Don’t think I could swing a batch being made at work.

I might even be encouraged to design the new improved model at last.

Resize_of_IMGP0292.jpg

60969[/snapback]

hi mike

thanks for the reply : it certainly looks a good mod and the most interesting point is that you say the young lady really appreciates it. If you could post the drawing it would help. I looked again at the pegs and thought it must be possible to make a mounting that allows the original (folding, but also good-looking) pegs to be used. Is there a reason you didn't do that ? Also, have you noticed any movement in the pegs, with the extra leverage (and play ?) due to the additional part ? Did you make the part in aluminium ?

thanks for your help. you'd be welcome to call in on your next tour (good curves around here ...)

I’ve got the “drawings” on my PC at work (they’re actually CAD files) so I’ll get the info converted into a word doc that I can email to you on Monday/Tuesday.

The parts are made in aluminium alloy but they've survived around 7000 miles with Mrs mtb on the back and they’re still rock solid. You could hang the whole bike from them and they wouldn’t bend. I think the design is a wee bit utilitarian but they look OK in the flesh. I wouldn’t have left them on this long otherwise.

The only reason I didn’t utilise the folding Guzzi pegs was simply time – I had to do a quick design that could be knocked up the next day at work and I didn’t have time for the added complexity needed to use the originals. It would be "fairly" straightforward to change the mounting blocks to take the folding pegs.

The only reason I haven’t come up with the new improved design is laziness (and these ones work)

ps 1 coincidently, we passed through Saverne during Eurotour 2004 so next year watch out… Col du Bonhomme - execellent

ps 2 Mrs mtb really appreciated being referred to as a “young lady"........she’s certainly young at heart.

any lady who comes from Scotland any the back of any bike, from Scotland, down the A1, round the M25, thru the Tunnel, down to Saverne and beyond (and back), even with footpegs moved forward, is ... a young lady ! Enjoy your Sunday !

I’ve got the “drawings” on my PC at work (they’re actually CAD files) so I’ll get the info converted into a word doc that I can email to you on Monday/Tuesday.

61155[/snapback]

I'd like a copy too. I think they are great the way they are. Where did you get the pegs if you remember?