Nasty Hiccup

docc

g, I PM'd my #.

I checked plug wire resistance. The wires were OK, but the 90 degree resistor cap was 5,000 ohms left and 19,000 ohms right. I swapped for an extra that has just under 5,000 ohms.

This bike's gonna run so good when you guys are done with it! :nerd::luigi:

I forgot to mention, when working on ANY hydraulic brake parts DO NOT use any petroleum products on any rubber parts or honing bores or anything whatsoever. If you do this you risk getting petroleum on the rubber parts and BAD things happen!

Resistance across the power input to the coils (primary) is 0.5 ohm both sides. There is no continuity between the primary and secondary coils ( I think 'good').

I think I'll bleed the front brakes and change the fork oil while I wait for clutch and throttle parts.

To mske sure we are on the same page.....measuring the resistance across the two terminals at the coil plug-in I get around 1ohm of resistance. Measuring from either of these terminals to the coil tower (plug wire connection) I get approximately 3 ohms of resistance. If any of these are open, replace the coil.

p.s. 1ohm variation in the resistance is not extraordinary.....

I got 1.0 ohm also, but checked the resistance through the leads and found 0.5.

With the primary and secondary coils set up for induction, it seems like there would be no contact between them. :huh2:

The primary and secondary windings share a common connection. That is why all 3 of these should read continuity. This "coil" is a transformer that steps-up voltage through induction and turn ratio in the windings. That is why you will get a reading at all 3 connections. You are testing this without the coil wire plugged in ?

Hmmm, I see. The coil was unplugged, but the spark plug wire was not attached to the plug. I'll try to get a better connection and see what reading I get on the secondary.

I guess anyone looking at theirs needs to also check the mounting pucks as they are known to let loose.

NoNoNo!!! Check it with the coil wire disconnected,unplugged,removed not in series,etc. You will put one test lead in the cavity where the coil wire WAS and the other test lead where (touching the wire pins) the wiring harnes was plugged in. This is where you are looking for contniuity of around 3 ohms.

The hiccup was gone today after replacing the TPS and repairing the bad coil wire. :sun:

Of course I also cleaned the throttle bodies, replaced the intake gaskets and rubbers, changed the plugs, and adjusted the valves. The air bleed screws were particularly crapped up with black gunk.

I'm ready to ship Omron high reliability relays!

I'm happy to say I have Dan Pruneske's blessing. I didn't want to interfere with his livelihood, so I offered to supply him as an exclusive distributor. Dan declined because he does not want to add to his retail business. He's making $150/hour on CE consulting, and it isn't worth it to him to expand it and take more of his time. On top of that, he has plenty of outside activities. Dan even offered to set up a link to my website once I get some info on the relays there. He's a good man. My field is mechanical, electrical and hydraulic, which depend on the U.S. manufacturing base. That's been declining fast since China was given most favored nations status, so I'm hungry.

Interestingly, Dan's view on specs is pretty sceptical. He gave me no pushback on the relay comparison I did. He feels manufacturers can put out any specs they want. In my case, I believe Japanese and U.S. makers are more credible than the notorious Chinese.

My introductory pricing is $8 for the sealed version and $5 for the unsealed for my friends on this forum that have waiting patiently. I can only offer the SPDT version, which will work in all positions. This is basically at my cost. If volume builds, I'll keep the prices at that level. If not, I will consider raising prices later on. Shipping and packing cost will be $5.00 regardless of quantity, because I can fit lots of them in the US Postal Service mailer.

Please send check or money order payable to Matra Inc., addressed to:

John Mickowski

50 Walling Road

Warwick, NY 10990

Remember to include your shipping address and how many of each type.

Thanks for your patience. :bike:

Hey Ryland,you still doing thoes sealed Omron Relay's cheers Mark.