1200 Sport tested in Bike magazine

Tested with BMW R1200R and Yamaha MT01. Reasonably objective test. Interestingly, the claimed 95bhp "most powerful Guzzi ever" dynoed at 77 rwbhp and 65 ft lbs of torque.

Praised the quality of finish, predictable handling and equipment, but drew attention to the relative lack of poke when compared to the other two.

Guy :helmet:

The V7 Sport was rated 72 hp sometimes then. 52 also could be found, so this could be some sort of heritage. The V11 was much better, nevertheless.

That's the second test to show this lack of power. The first was done somewhere in Spain, same bad result, even with a racing exhaust mounted.

Hubert

and harleys make like 50bhp, so what, thats not what its all about, Although it would be nice if they came out with a MGS-01 street to compete with the duc's ktm's and so forth, it certianly has the looks and heritage but for most ppl looking at Guzzi I don't think the 15less HP will be the deal breaker. Even with the problems Guzzi has had they last for ever, a solid ride, and very unique. I wish I could afford to have the V11, RSVR, AND a Stelvio, (and a harley) I think that would do me, I used to think I wanted more superbikes but this RSVR while a blast is almost scary fast. I find the guzzi is better for a spirited ride in a more comfortable psotion from point A to point B, the Ape is like a hang on for dear life and buy real grippy tires. ;) If everything was about performance we'd only buy STI's Porche's EVO8's so on, so on, some ppl love their Saabs :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I got a couple hrs seat time on the 1200S last weekend. I'm able to compare some aspects of this Breva based bike to the V11 Sport.

The one thing that I noticed was the EFI of the new machine is quite more advanced, with not only automatic high speed idle, but also automatic starter control. Just a quick stab of the starter and the rest is computer controlled. It's the same system that's installed on the Ducati ST3. The throttle response is slightly touchier, but could get used to it.

Delivered as is, the sitting position was very poor, for me. The footpegs are too far forward, and the lower handlebars being rolled forward made it even worse. I'm pretty sure the tubular bars can be rolled back a bit, but this issue is probably the one big reason I've now removed this model from my wish list. Clearly this footpeg issue shows that this is literally just a Breva with lower bars and mini fairing, that no thought has been put forward to adjusting the pegs to suit the new bars. Sorry, it does not work.

Stylistically, the fairing is simple, but brilliant, as it transforms the butt ugly Breva into a quite nice looking bike. I've still got serious issues with the black plastic/chrome appendages below the tank, and their general purpose, other than style. It does not work, and as a result, this bike, in the flesh, fails to garner the appropriate "garage appeal", [ the bike with the look, making you look back one last time as you leave the garage].

The engine appears slightly more refined, I think quieter, but this may have more to do with the naturally quieter single plate clutch. The engine seems to have a slightly stronger mid range, but we are splitting hairs. The top end rush of the V11 is not there however, making the bike a bit a yawn.

The bike has a general feel as though it was designed as a package, where the V11 has the looser feel of a last minute design. The bike has a planted feel at speed that makes for more confidence which will make a better handling bike.

This 1200S will not be enough to trade my V11 in, which still has the elements I'm looking for, a simple reliable retro classic with bags of character, some of which has been lost with the Breva based bikes.

Any direct comparisons a current M.G. has in the power aspect with other makes will most certainly be panned, except maybe the 2 valve Ducatis. Attempts for owners to build up their power outputs will not make a huge differerence, as these engines are still saddled with air cooling, and pushrod valves, so dramatic cam profiles and tighter piston tolerances cannot be taken advantage of. I think a current M.G. owner should be happy with their bikes as they are, perhaps installing a pipe for nicer sound, and the 'mostly' illusion of 'noise=power'. Those looking for more power will be much better off keeping the M.G. and buying a 4 valve Ducati or Aprilia, where the power increase over the M.G. lump is clearly no illusion.

Ciao, Steve

Those looking for more power will be much better off keeping the M.G. and buying a 4 valve Ducati or Aprilia, where the power increase over the M.G. lump is clearly no illusion.

Ciao, Steve

you aint just whistlin dixie there my friend, I still have my goose, but this really has a punch to it.

DSC_2256.jpg

and harleys make like 50bhp, so what, thats not what its all about, Although it would be nice if they came out with a MGS-01 street to compete with the duc's ktm's and so forth, it certianly has the looks and heritage but for most ppl looking at Guzzi I don't think the 15less HP will be the deal breaker. Even with the problems Guzzi has had they last for ever, a solid ride, and very unique. I wish I could afford to have the V11, RSVR, AND a Stelvio, (and a harley) I think that would do me, I used to think I wanted more superbikes but this RSVR while a blast is almost scary fast. I find the guzzi is better for a spirited ride in a more comfortable psotion from point A to point B, the Ape is like a hang on for dear life and buy real grippy tires. ;) If everything was about performance we'd only buy STI's Porche's EVO8's so on, so on, some ppl love their Saabs :rolleyes:

actually for what it's worth I think the big twins are more like 65-70hp. My 1992 big twin HD with some performance hop ups on the dyno makes 92 at the rear wheel. No matter though, like an HD, it's the torque that makes the Guzzi fun to ride.