Hello everyone, and help required please, broken Scura...

eas1rider

Hi everybody, I am a new member and have been lurking around in the background for a couple of months, taking in some of the great info on the site. Great stuff and a fantastic resource.

I live in the far south of the South Island of New Zealand. Recently I purchased a 2002 V11 Scura, #545, imported from the States, and am really enjoying the change, having come from a background of numerous Jap bikes, a Brit and one other Italian. I have fancied a Guzzi for many years, but always got caught up in the crowd with whatever was the latest and perceived greatest at the time.

Pretty much from day one there was a small, (at first), leakage of gearbox oil coming from around the top mount on the gearbox. I've lived with this, thinking it was nothing more than a leaking joint and would get to it come next winter. Unfortunately after a ride in the weekend the leak was becoming somewhat worse and after closer examination, I discovered a hair line crack around the top mount on the right hand side, fantastic. :o

So I removed the motor and gearbox and have begun stripping the gearbox to remove the case. I was considering getting a weld repair, but I know from past experience and that of others, welding aluminium casings can be a hit and miss affair. Besides I wish to hold onto this bike and don't particularly want an unsightly repair visable for all to see. Therfore a new case is on its way...

During my "lurking" around the site I have read considerable amounts re the Scura clutch / flywheel and was curious to have a look at mine, it had the typical rattle at idle, lever out. Thinking that with 19 mls any issues re flywheel would have been dealt to.

It appears mine was one of the more resilient ones and has lasted a little longer than most. There are a number of cracks running around the outside of the mounting boss, similar to what I have seen of others on the site. :huh2:

I am now at the point where I need some help as to where to go from here. I understand there are a few alternatives, the most popular it would seem is a replacement RAM assembly. There is not a great deal of dealer support here in NZ and the resident Guzzi expert knows of the RAM units, but thinks they are no longer manufactured. So if there is anybody out there that can give me some guidance, as to what I should do, where to go, or the whereabouts of a suitable replacement, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks for your time guys...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there,

welcome on the site.

I would say I have an empty gearbox, If you need the gearing too, I would ship this to you too, but the gearing is not 100%. The box it is! I don't need the lotto price, but I prefer further business in a PM.

After replacing the box, use a silicon pasta which is adherent for both sizes. This pasta must not be sensitive for temperature change.

there alternative clutches being sold buy German dealers try Sein Dinse and Gawa Guzzi the ram clutch is no longer available for six speeds. I will add you to the Scura register, and welcome

Welcome aboard eas,

Well to all who say that the US version is immune to clutch failure,here's an example of probable/possible disaster. :angry:

I'd be interested in how you make out as mine hasn't been done yet and has some "sweating" around case gasket.One of those things I just haven't got(avoiding) around to.Didn't know they discontinued the Ram.Anybody know if there is anyone who has any left?Bummer as it had been getting good reviews as a replacement.MI was making a refurbished clutch assembly available,that I would trust over other sources.Peter at Reboot would also be a good used source if you want to go in that direction.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Michael

I also didn't know the RAM was no longer available. I bought one from Agostinis 18 months ago - it might be worth giving them a call just to check. Their phone number is +39 0341 735448. When I bought mine there was a very helpful guy called Peter who worked there who spoke English (or maybe it was Australian) so I'd give them a call. Even if they no longer sell the RAM they may be able to advise you on alternatives.

I got the Haven boys to gingerly take mine out and throw it in the bin and replaced it with a twin plater. The later model twin plate flywheel assembley is only a trifle heavier than the single plater and is basically bulletproof. I'll probably be shouted down here but I've never really felt that the single platers were anything more than an excercise in extravagance on a road bike. The fact they also had a predeliction for going 'BOOM!' also turned me right off.

Pete

Pete,

Stupid question here,...

Did you send them bike,motor/tranny,or the transmission assembly?

Thanks,

Michael

By the by eas,

You got one of the elite MG experts in the SHemi,if not theee ,expert, in Pete here. :notworthy: (Not A-kising here,just stating fact)That's my (BS) er cough,cough :vomit: ,..story,and I'm sticking to it!

Pete,

Stupid question here,...

Did you send them bike,motor/tranny,or the transmission assembly?

Thanks,

Michael

The story is/was that i could never justify to myself buying a V11 when they were new. I simply didn't reckon they were $20,000 better than my old Tontis. So I bided my time and waited until prices became more reasonable. The long and the short of it is that one of the members here had a low mileage Scura with bar risers, an decent exhaust and a PCIII on it for sale in (New England? Can't remember?) so I bought it last year or the end of the year before for five or six grand when our $ was almost at parrity with the greenback. This was a killer deal as over here a used but good condition Scura is worth at least twice that.

Thing is I knew about the explode-o-matic flywheel and wanted nothing to do with it so it had to go. The simplesty option for me was simply to ship it to one of the dealers who, by long observation of the net, I felt I could trust implicitly and simply asked them to do anything they thought neccessary to make it right like it should be. the main issues were the flywheel and the fact that Scuras are, ex factory, sprung, in the words of the sadly missed Dr.Know, for 'Bullemic Cheerleaders'. Unfortunately this is a category I have never fitted into, even when young. I really wanted the Ohlins suspension so I got MPH to get 'em re-sprung at the same time as they threw out the clutch and put in a 2nd hand Centauro item they had knocking about. It also had some tranny work done and I think the pinion tip needle roller was replaced as well. To be honest I neither know nor cared really. I got the bill, paid it and was somewhat surprised by how small it was given everything involved but that cost me about another $4,500 which put the bike up in the sort of ballpark I'd be paying for a poorly running stocker here in Oz.

I flew into the US just before the National rally in Malibu. picked up the old tart from MPH and then Sean and I thrashed across the country to LA. Apart from a couple of the relays going out, (An oversight that is easy to make on a bike you work on in fits and starts over a period of months and anyway I was stupid for not carrying a couple of spares.) and the fact I tried to throw it down a ravine in New Mexico it ran faultlessly.

Since I left it has been in the 'Tender' care of my mate Father Guzzi O'Brien in LA where it continues to be cared for by being giving regular thrashings while I'm otherwise engaged. Unfortunately I can't bring it back to Oz, (I won't bother trying to explain the byzantine reasoning behind this piece of government f#cktardery!) but since I'm a fairly regular visitor to the US I'm more than happy for it to live with the Father as long as he's happy with that. I can also offer it as a 'Loaner' to mates who may visit which is good.

The long and the short of it is you get what you pay for. The number of people I'm willing to allow to work on my bikes can be counted on the fingers of one thumb. MPH, Micha at Moto International, Sean at Guzzi Classics in Long Beach are three that immediately spring to mind a as being people I can *Know* from either having met them or read and ingested what they have offered publicly on the net are a cut above the common herd and who actually LIKE Guzzis and that is very, very important. Guzzi owners are notoriously tight! :lol: I'm no exception. I can peel and eat an orange without taking my hands out of my pockets! But I'm always MORE than willing to pay the bill without even looking at it if I know the job is going to be done right. Shipping the Bike to MPH gave me the confidence to simply get on it and go. Last thing I wanted to do while I was on 'Holidays' was to sort out my own poxy bike! Good grief! I do that for a living! Given what I paid and the parts and labour involved in the job I think I was treated very leiniently cost wise but even if it had cost me half as much again it would of been worth it.

One final item. DON'T, PLEASE, ever think that if you take a bike apart and then ask someone else to put it back together you will be doing yourself a favor or saving yourself money. NOBODY likes a 'Sugar-bag Bike' ie, one that comes in in bags and coffee jars. I personally refuse to even look at them now as they are ALWAYS trouble. Make the decision BEFORE you embark on the work whether you have the skills and tools to undertake the task. Any doubts? Take it to the workshop as a complete lump. Believe me, it will cost you less in the long run. Not only because of the time involved identifying everything and finding out what goes where but because of the 'Hassle Tax' that will ALWAYS be added to such a s#itfight and the sense of utter loathing you will have to endure even if you do find someone to take it on :lol:

Pete

Hi again, thanks for all the help thus far. A deposit has been made re the case and the order placed last night, so it should be here 2-3 weeks, cheers Antonio for the offer...

Spent the day at work today following up on the advice so far, (Saturday so no management lurking about...). I have thought about going to a traditional 2 plate as some suggested, I understand these are "indestructible", but our local Guzzi guru has recently set another up at a cost of around $2500.00. With the way our dollar is going at the moment, I shudder to think what would be the final costs, (yes Pete, although new to the Guzzi fold, I to am told I'm tight...), but this may still yet be an option.

I have sent away an email to Agostinis, (thanks "moscowphil"), as I see they still list a single plate being aviliable on their website, so am waiting to hear back from them. I will also send an email to Stein-Dinse who also happen to be in Australia, (first I've heard of them, cheers "macguzzi"). But please keep sugestions coming as I want the bike back on the road asap, (summers almost here, although we had snow on the ground here this week, unheard of in November, must be global warming!!!)

And "mznyc", I'd have a look at your flywheel when the oppurtunity presents itself. I've spent the last few months reading up on the forums and must admit to thinking there was a bit of scare mongering going on re the flywheel issue, as irrespective of what you ride there will always be those that exaggerate a perceived common fault. But, as you know, after thinking mine was ok,(hoping), it ain't. <_ the bike has and apart from leaking case was doing all it should i wouldn have bothered otherwise. but am very glad circumstances allowed me to look into matter further.>

I'll continue to keep you all posted as to how things are progressing, and please any more advice would be gratefully appreciated...

I like the single plate as well.

My flywheel started to go balls up at 22000km.

The Ram replacement has had 30000km so far with no problems.

Hey Pete- Sorry you couldnt get that Scura back home. I recently had a look at the rules in regards to bringing bikes in Australia......- :o Ridiculous.

Cheers

Bruce

Pete when you get sick of those endless twisty California roads you could leave her here in the northeast.Promise my Scura would keep her good company,here in the Catskills.

Could you ship into NZ through a dealer and then float it over to Aus?Are the import restrictions between the two looser than coming from the US?

I would look closely at the frame. A crack where you describe the crack to be is almost always indicative of an accident in which the frame and powerplant were tweaked in opposing directions. Look very, very, closely, using strong side light, at the front engine mount for cracking, too.