Fuel tank connection

vuzzi

when changing my air filter and fuel filter I found two 'plugs' on the bottom of the tank that where not connected to anything. I suppose they are to let in air to keep the tank from getting vacuum. The workshop manual says "disconnect breatherpipe from coupling E" (see picture), but as I said, there is no pipe.

Question(s):

Is the pipe required?

Where should it lead to? (I did find a possible connection at the bottom of the air filter box)

fuel_tank.jpg

air_filter_box2.JPG

I believe those 2 nipples are for the tank vent hose and the tank overflow hose. Someone probably removed them when they were removing the charcoal canister. Whoever removed that stuff from my bike ran those hoses from the tank down the frame and down to the back of the engine.

Be aware that without those hoses or the tank vent check valve you could have a fuel spill if your bike goes down. We had a member here lose his bike to the resulting fire a few years back.

• 8 months later...

Can anyone confirm how many pipes Guzzi fitted here? ASFAIK my 02 Scura only had the one pipe fitted, with one fitting left unconnected. Workshop manual only shows one pipe, but then it only appears to show one fitting also. Could be different markets, could be only used on US bikes w charcoal gubbins? What's yours got?

Thanks, KB :sun:

The normal number, at least from what I've seen, is two. One is the vent to let air in to the fuel tank as gasoline is removed. The other is to the area around the fuel filler neck and is for overflow/spillage. Both are important.