Steering head angle

Admin Jaap

Question from a Dutch Guzzi rider: Did the V11 steering head angle change when MG went from the red frames to the (improved (?) black frames in 2001/2002 ?

Yes. Have it posted here in several threads. I do remember if it is 1/2 or 1 degree different?

Bob

2000-2001 RedFrame specifications: 25 degree caster, 92mm trail, wheelbase:1,471mm (57.9 in)

Oddly, I could not find the caster and trail specs in the workshop manual or the owner's manual, but in the sales brochure. Brochures I have for 2002 and 2004 do not list the caster/trail, only the wheelbase in inches. (59in)

The later wheelbase is, apparently, 1490mm (58.7in) and I had read "somewhere" back in '03 that the caster angle was also 25 degrees, and the trail is 104mm. (Not sure, now, where I got that).

Is there no printed caster specification from Moto Guzzi for the later "braced frame?" (You know, the one they made for the Old Gits :oldgit: since they're so wobbly already!:whistle:)

Pretty scary, you dredged up the Twitchy Vixen thread.:o I hope if my Twitchy RedFrame bites me again, it's not in the @$$.

After re-reading that thread, it's still not conclusive if the actual caster angle changed. When I posted the question in Geometry 101 ,no real conclusion was reached. Really, how could trail be increaseed from 92mm to 104mm with no change in caster angle (or even a half degree)?

I share the inquiry of the Dutch enquirer: did the steering angle really change?:huh2:

After re-reading that thread, it's still not conclusive if the actual caster angle changed. When I posted the question in Geometry 101 ,no real conclusion was reached. Really, how could trail be increaseed from 92mm to 104mm with no change in caster angle (or even a half degree)?

Trail is a function of triple-clamp offset. That's how Harley can get rake #s of 38deg for the V-Rod w/o correspondingly ridiculous #s for trail...