Greasing front u joint revisited

Chuck

I just did my front u-joint for the first time, boy that was a ball of fun :bbblll:

I ended up using a flexible hose and ground down the fitting on the end of the grease gun, I screwed around for hours but then just like you said, "snick" and it was on, you know I didn't think the sound of the grease forcing air and moisture out could sound so sweet :thumbsup:

By the time you do it again you will have forgotten how :homer:

well the secret for me was to have it on a work stand. When it was sitting on the wheels, the u joint closed up just enough to keep the nozzle from going in.

Definitely I don't believe you could do it without having it on the stand, well I couldn't

Forget, forget what?

I am able to do it on the sidestand. I use the adjustable grease gun fitting, get the zerk lined up and a few pumps it is done. This was a well covered topic back in 03 / 04?? Pictures etc.Or does my memory fail me.. again... Maybe the topic is lost to the void of the internet? Is my Scura's driveshaft that unique? I am beginning to believe the my Guzzi is really more "one off" than most other limited production bikes. Hmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

What I do is, each time I replace my rear tire (5-6000 mi.) I support the rear drive and pull it backwards to release the splined front half of the drive shaft. It then tips down far enough to allow the front u-joint to be lubed easily. I then replace the splines into the rear half of the drive shaft, careful to maintain the original shaft alignment. Mine has factory paint marks on the drive-shaft for alignment. Easy and well ahead of spec'd service intervals.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

There is an old thread about this from years ago.

I have done this little chore many times on both the V11 as well as the Daytona series. It's as easy as can be and takes all of 2 minutes IF you know what to do and have the right tools.

What you need is an adjustable angle grease gun coupler like this :

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=grease+gun+couplers&view=detail&id=88C2723A6ECA2B6C27CCFFFE2C371A011DA5B715&first=61&FORM=IDFRIR

I got mine at an Ace Hardware. They are common and not expensive. I removed that spring and the sliding collar (that holds the tip straight when you so desire). I didn't wanna permanently attach this to my gun so I bought a 1/8 pipe coupling and a male grease fitting that I attached to this coupler.

Now, turn the driveshaft so that the grease fitting in the front universal joint is on top. Cock the tip of this coupler at about 45 degrees (be sure to have extra grease slathered on it to make it slip on easy). Insert the coupler from the rear of the bike and feel your way onto the grease fitting in the universal joint. Once the coupler finds the male fitting, it will snap itself onto it as you push it forward. I then attach my standard grease gun coupler to the male fitting on the rear of the adjustable coupler and pump. Be careful and dont over-pump it. Doesnt take much. Best is to watch the rubber seals expand before excess grease oozes out of the joint and stop.

Once you've done this a few times, it's a piece of cake.