2001 V11 Sport injector

sam30328

2001 V11 has been sitting for 1 1/2 yrs.Right side will run,not the left.Has spark so I removed tank,air box,left side fuel injector.Used a syringe filled with carb cleaner and wires to a small battery---got clicking and cleaner spray.Put everything back together--no improvement.

Wondering if signal is not getting to the left injector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I think these parts are switched to ground, so while the relay is activated (i.e. the pump is running) you should see 12V at one of the injector's terminals. Check the schematics for details.

Besides that you can also just pull both of them, leave them connected and press the start button. You shouldn't smoke, btw, especially not then in this moment.

Hubert

• Like 1

Thanks Hubert, I'll try the voltage test.If I don't get 12 volts,where do I go from there?

It could of course be just about anything but I'd focus on what might be wrong after just sitting for a long time.  The #1 suspect in my mind is just that the injector is clogged up with varnish or corrosion and needs to be cleaned (if possible) or replaced.  I'd also check that both injectors are getting fuel.  It may be that the line is blocked.   So check that the injector is spraying fuel, if not, then check if fuel is getting to the injector.

If both of those are good, then check for electrical issues.  Could be the connector is corroded and needs to be cleaned but ultimately you work your way back to the ECU.  It's possible that it's bad but unless the bike was having this issue when last parked, that seems like a long-shot.

You could try swapping the left and right injectors and see if the problem stays or follows.

• Like 1

You could purchase a "noid light" at a good atuo parts store or a tool truck. You will need the Bosch style noid light . It plugs into the harness connector and will flash as you are cranking the engine . If it does you need to look at the injectors . www.lindertech.com  will be the shop you send both injectors to for rebuild and they will fix you up !

This AM I pulled the left injector but left the fuel end connected--got good spray so maybe the carb cleaner finally did its work.Tonight I will reattach injector and see if the left side will run.It has spark and fuel spray so unless the spark timing is off,should see some progress.

This AM I pulled the left injector but left the fuel end connected--got good spray so maybe the carb cleaner finally did its work.Tonight I will reattach injector and see if the left side will run.It has spark and fuel spray so unless the spark timing is off,should see some progress.

Indeed, you now have 3 of the 4 elements required for combustion.  You have air, fuel, and spark.  As long as there is compression, you should have a running engine!

• Like 1

Left side refuses to run even with spark,fuel spray and fresh fuel....

Switch cable, plug and cap from left to right side and try again. Damaged cables, plugs or caps can lead to such symptoms, of course coils too, but again: simplier things first. If you have a car shop near you let them connect the bike to their old-style analog analyser and look for faults in the ignition system.

SUCCESS !!! Got it running on BOTH cylinders !!  With injector detached and laying on throttle body, got fuel spray. With injector plugged into throttle body but mounting screws only halfway in, got no spray.With injector fully mounted,got spray and running.Son suggested it might be a grounding issue.?

Beginning problem was a clogged injector from old fuel residue.