Oil seeping from pre-selector cover

Cyborg

After returning from a ride, I noticed a little puff of smoke coming off the exhaust cross over when I parked the bike on the side stand. There seems to be a small amount of oil seeping from what I assume is the "special shaft" (as describe in the shop manual) or spindle for the LH wheel inside the cover. I don't have a parts book to determine what if anything seals that shaft in the pre-selector cover. Is there an o-ring that goes on the shaft or is it just supposed to be a snug fit (with sealant) in the cover? It's not something that warrants taking it apart until the monsoon season is here to stay, but may as well track down the parts that I will need.... along with a parts manual. The shaft that I am referring to can be seen just a little N.N.E. of the neutral switch. Any guidance would be appreciated.

If you're going to remove the cover, check out this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547&hl=%2Bshift+%2Bimprovement

While the sift pawl spring is a common thing to replace, I replaced all three springs. I found that they were weaker, and slightly out of shape - compared to new springs. I also put in a roller bearing instead of the standard disc-roller. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also noticed a small oil leak. I originally noticed oil on the side of the cover and wiped it up, let the bike sit for a few days and checked it again to find some oil where the selector is situated. Is there a o ring on the shaft of the selector that prevents oil leaking from the cover? The picture below shows where I noticed a very small amount of oil. I looked at the parts manual and couldn't tell if there was a o ring on the shaft of the selector.

Posted Image