Running rich...

nudemetalz

Got an issue with my 2002 V11 Sport. It's running quite rich to the point of black smoke when revving it up and also under load.

I have cans on it but standard collector. Have the snorkels removed but standard airbox.

I checked the air filter, all good as was replaced not that long ago.

Cleaned the air temp sensor.

Cleaned the inside of the airbox and checked for anything in there.

Took off the fuel pressure regulator on the RHS of the tank and took out the bowl with the filter to see if anything clogged in there. All good and gave it a good clean.

Plugs are good and starts easily, even when warm.

Tappets are okay

Should I redo the TPS setting?

Any advice appreciated

:thumbsup:

If it is suddenly blowing black smoke, I would be concerned that something has gone awry beyond the basic settings, but they are worth resetting.

Then, it's on to troubleshooting and fine tuning! :nerd::luigi:

Are the cylinders getting to the same running temperature? Rich mixture means cool running, and uneven temps mean uneven mixture between left & right.
What do your plugs look like? A leaky injector will make one plug sooty, while the other remains good.

Both plugs the same probably indicates a tuning problem. 

What Docc said: start with basic tune. Then check the plug caps.

After that, also check the head temp sensor on the right side, see if cracked, or disconnected, etc.

Not sure if your bike has a Lambda in the crossover, if so, check to see if the wire is still connected.

If all of the above is A-OK, try a bottle of fuel injection system cleaner, (there are a few types), followed by "Italian tune-up".

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, guys. Never thought about the plug caps. I think I'll replace the plugs and caps as it has been a while since.

As vuzzi said, you could check the cap resistance. They will unscrew from the lead, and should be 5k ohms.

If you fit new caps, remember that Italian bikes run best with red caps and plug leads. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce,...tank off this weekend again and I will check it.

Marty & Vuzzi - I did an Ohm test on both the plug caps. RHS 4.98, LHS 4.88 so they're not too bad.

Both plugs are sooty so def rich !! Going to replace them.

My V11 doesn't have a crossover (I assume you're referring to the front header one).

So,..next will be Docc's tune up procedure followed by injector cleaner.

Yes. The way it is now , the PCM thinks the ambient temperature is COLD ! This will cause the PCM to give optimum fuel injector pulse to the fuel system .

Reconnect it and install new spark plugs .

• Like 1