Cleaning Throttle Bodies

SMDL

Hi, folks.

I'm going to be doing a Decent Tune-Up on my '03 Le Mans shortly, and definitely want to spend some time cleaning the TBs as I have never done this before in the 6.5 years I have owned the bike.  I've read many posts indicating that this should be done, and some indicating some of the tools/solutions that could be used (brushes, etc.), but no real clear guide (that I have found) as to exactly how it should be be done.  Are there any specific areas or items to be careful of?  Anything that should not be hit with carb cleaner?  Any specific type of brushes, etc., that are effective or helpful?  Basically, just looking for any tips from those who have gone before.

My bike is running great, so I don't expect any issues, and would prefer to just clean them on the bike.  Any input would be welcomed.

Apologies if I have missed a thread on this topic.  Feel free to point me to it if there is one.

Cheers,

Shaun

on my Guzzi's I never saw anything that needed cleaning inside the TB's.. on our Mazda Tribute yea, the butterfly got all gummed up and made the throttle pedal hard to push.. a rag and carb cleaner is all I used.

For on-bike cleaning I just used throttle body cleaner spray, a toothbrush, and paper towels to wipe out the worst of it. A little compressed air can help at the end.

Take the air bypass screws out so you clean the passages and the screws, which can get gummy and mess up your idle.

I'd be hard pressed to claim that it made a difference... but I think it's good preventative maintenance.

While you're there... It's worth cleaning and lubricating the linkage and the springs under the TBs.

Thanks, All.  Very much appreciated.

Tim, what did you use to lubricate the linkage and springs?

Cheers,
Shaun

What did you use to lubricate the linkage and springs?

I have used silicone spray and Tri-Flow (a bicycle chain lube). I think the Tri-Flow may be a little better.