Handelbars

Guest ChrisBer

Guest JohnInNH

Russ,

Now THAT is a good pic of your Verlicchi Clip on install. :D

The "clamp" is upside down, and on the top of the triple tree plate. (your install)

The "Other" ;) way to install is to flip the clamp over (from your position) and mount it under the top plate. This will give about the same location of the pivot point of the bars, and allow you to keep the factory geometry (ride height), or even raise the front end 1/2 inch so the front shocks are flush with the top plate. More ground clearance for off road applications, and gives it that "chopper" look :rolleyes:

We know your way works because you've done it. I think I'll try the other way and see if it works, and how it looks.

Maybe you tried it already and it will not work. If you did let us know.

Either way this will "fix" my riding position. :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I did it the way I did was hydraulic line clearance. It simply is not enough! Riding impressions my way are no change in handling. I am definitely going to get longer lines :ph34r:

I don't know why people are complaining about handlebarheight. I bought a le mans 2001 today. On my daytona the clipons are under the top plate, I never had complaint about that. The V11 height looks very comfortable to me. The more you rise the bars, the more you are upright, having more weight on the back. Nice in the city, but not cornering. I'm 1.90 meters tall.

People have different body shapes and strengths. Paul, you probably ride more than 20,000 miles per year and have arms that could torque a bolt to 20ft/lbs with just a 4inch allen wrench. If you have gorilla arms you should probably go lower, like on the Daytona. I have a long torso and short weak arms. My wrists start to get tired after an hour. After three hours my ability to hold on to the handlebars and brake while going downhill reaches a dangerous level of fatigue. :doh: I like to enjoy riding. I am not a masochist. :ph34r: Tired butts, sore wrists and stiff knees makes the trip less enjoyable. Why suffer????

I'm also looking at options to raise my V11 Sport handlebars about an inch or so and wonder if anyone could offer insight to this (possible) solution.

Suburban Machinary (www.suburban-machinary.com) makes what is essentially a tubular handlebar, but without curves. All of the "bends" are welded angles.

So my q' is this: If I were to cut the Suburban handlebar in half and remove all but an inch or so of the center section, could the remaining center "stub" be inserted into the stock V11 clamp?

By doing so I would have the benefit of a wider range of adjustability through the rotation of each handlebar half in the clamp. I'm assuming the diameters are the same 7/8 inch.

Alternatively, the SUN RISERS look very nice. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

After living with the Verlicchi Clipons for a few weeks I decided it still wasn't to my liking as I was still getting some discomfort in my Wrists, escpecially at low speeds (see ealier posts). I dropped the fork tubes, put the clips under the top plate, rerouted the hydraulic lines to the inside of the tubes and voila! perfection. The bars allow me to sit mostly upright, Rich Maunds seat suddenly doesn't make me slide forward and the Eviluzione peg relo kit is better as well. :blink:

Sometimes I amaze even myself B) The bike is now the way I would have wanted it from the dealer. I also put some formotion gauges on it and a Helmet Guardian to replace the pathetic placement of the factory Helmet Lock. :wacko:

I guess now I would like a set of auxillary footpegs for long trips to have an alternate foot position. Any ideas out there? :xmas:

put 'em in the vacated holes from the peg relocation :lol:

I know, I know...they won't fit, but I had to say it.

Glad to hear it all fits now. I'll probably follow your lead and try something similar.

These bikes have a helmet lock?? Learn something new every day, I guess.

Cheers,

Jason

....just as an aside, whenever any of you swap out the stock bars, and don't want your OEM LeMans bars anymore... drop me a line. I'd love to take them off of your hands for cheap if you were going to toss them or hide them away on a back shelf never to be used again!

I like to keep a spare set or two of things that are likely to "hit the ground first" in an unfortunate tip-over :wacko:

Same for OEM exhaust cans. In fact, I want to tinker with "gutting" them, so a couple spare sets of them would give me stock to work with... and I'm not about to buy new ones for mucho dinero from MG, just to cut-up :lol:

I've got one pair already, so probably don't need more cans right now, but keep me in mind and just touch base if you're looking to unload OEM parts that aren't being used.

thx!

al

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vkerrigan

After seeing their advertisement in the latest MGNOC paper, I contacted Williamsville Competition in Holland, N.Y. (outside Buffalo) regarding their V11 LeMans clip-on risers. I spoke with Al who indicated the risers are machined in their shop from billet aluminum and have a 1 1/4" rise with a 15 degree pullback. Of equal importance to me was that the clip-on fork clamps are the same height as stock, so I don't have to raise or lower the forks in the triple-clamp. He also claims that no modifications need to be made to brake or clutch hydraulic lines as the stock clip-ons will extend to the new clamps. I've ordered a set ($375) for my 02 LeMans and will advise if his claims are accurate. If they are, it should be an easy fix for those of us that need risers.

• 2 weeks later...

I also saw the add in the latest MGNOC for the handlebar risers, but $375 seems a little steep for billet aluminum. So while brousing through Rider Magazine, I saw an add from GenMar for some risers at about $140. Always one to try to get the biggest bang for my buck, I found out they will have a set for the LeMans in about a month. They state their's will raise the stock bars about 3/4 inch. I plan on placing an order as soon as they are available. I'll keep you posted.

www.zianet.com/genmar B)