Handelbars

Guest ChrisBer

...well, it's going to take degree or three out of your front rake, making turn-in a bit faster. Basically you will be negating to some extent the "more lazy" handling of the 2002+ bikes as compared to the '00/01 Sports.

You'll get a bit faster handling, but that should be it... if you notice it at all. You may not.

al

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this a bit further. 15mm, is 1 & 1/2cm(I know, no :homer::lol:) Anyway, while still not a huge amount, that's more than I was thinking at first. I don't have a schematic of the rake, trail, wheelbase, etc of the V11 LeMans, but trying to imagine the amount of change, I would say you are probably likely to notice this change.

Paul, Carl, Lex, etc... may want to chime in on this as they seem to have some more data on the actual dimensions of the bike.

But although I believe it still won't matter much, I bet you will notice the quicker handling. Some might caution that it will make it less stable at speed, more prone to wobble, etc... but I doubt this small change in geometry will make it any less stable that the '00/01 V11 Sport, and I haven't really heard any complaints from those owners in that extent.

Bottom line, let us know how you perceive, if at all, any change in handling, good or bad. I'll be very curious as I'm sure others will be performing similar modifications over time for bars, or just out of curiosity to quicken the steering.

al

Guest russ

In my first install with my Verlicchi clip ons I did it over the top clamp and I thought it made the steering fall into turns a little quicker which for me was not desireable. I then reinstalled under the top clamp and like that better. :luigi:

Guest JohnInNH

To bad the new "risers" from NY don't angle back. If they came back ... say to about 1/2 way over the fork tube to the point you can just manage to adjust the fork screw, or even right over the screw and use a right angle screw driver (L shape) to adjust, it would be a LOT better. WTF did they just go straight up?

You only get 1" and no pull back(except for the fork tube angle). If they came back 1/2" and up an 1" in would be a lot better IMHO, and the clearance issue would be easier to deal with too. :angry:

I really need to move my bars back 1" and up 1". Up 1" and back 1/2" would be liveable.

We also need a KIT to move the foot pegs forward and down which has all the parts needed Brake Lever and Shift Lever and the needed bits to mount the stuff.

It's the last thing I need to do to my bike to make it perfect.

To bad the new "risers" from NY don't angle back. If they came back ... say to about 1/2 way over the fork tube to the point you can just manage to adjust the fork screw, or even right over the screw and use a right angle screw driver (L shape) to adjust, it would be a LOT better. WTF did they just go straight up?

I completely agree, and asked them if they offered any modified versions in this vein. They said they didn't.

Maybe if a couple or more of us called them and asked about a version as you describe, they may be a bit more inclined. I agree, just a tad back over the fork-tubes would be perfect.

Maybe a "group buy"?

al

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Texas Boy

Jus completed the install of the Verlicchi (thanks Russ) and am very happy with the way they slipped on. The quality of the risers is excellent and I didn't need to change the wiring other than reposition the way the wires run by the forks. If you are looking to move the bars back a few inches and up several inches, this is a fool proof way to do it. Total cost for this project was $290.00 which included a set of billit bar weights by a company called Rizoma. These weights fit perfectly in the hollow end of the Verlicchi clip ons and look great! If you want to see any pictures just shoot me an email.

Ride safe,

Jeff

Guest Texas Boy

I noticed after installing the risers, that the bars had more vibration than they did when they were stock. I took a piece of plastic tubing and filled it full of sand, and inserted it into the hollow bars. This lowered the amount of vibration by a noticably difference.

Guest Brent

Here's the latest on what's happening with the GenMar risers. I spoke with Scott, who said that they're still testing and working out some kinks (such as reservoirs hitting fairing, and short brake line). He estimated at least 3 more weeks of testing, then about 2 more weeks to setup for production. Along with the risers, they may also offer (or include) replacement reservoir brackets and a steel-braided brake line (for about $30 extra). In case this hasn't been posted before, the risers will move the bars about 1.25" (3.8cm) up, and 7/8" (2.2cm) back.

Since Scott might get a lot of business from the people on this forum, I asked him if he would'nt mind updating us directly when he has more news. I gave him the URL, so we'll see...

Geez!

All you Lemans owners going on and on about new handlebars!

Simple solution! Just remove your fairings! <_>

Seriously though, y'all make me glad I bought my V11S. Those wide adjustable clip-ons and the best bars I have used since BMW invented their R90S bar! Changing the bars on my bike is the last thing I would comtemplate!

Guest k.tx

I agree with Rich, the handlebars on my V11S are all the way out now and it's just about right. I'm going to tinker a bit more with the springs (e.g. suspension) next and I'm almost sure if I would have one of the Ballabios or similar I would ask for lowering the handlebars.

The flyscreen on my V11S does a decent job, updrift is enough starting around 75 mph and once I have a loaded tankbag on I'll manage even 600 mile and more without running into problems like loosing concentration.

Konrad

P.S.: If anyone knows about a shop dealing with Ohlins in the DFW area please let me know, thanks.

Guest R Edge

I am looking for someone in the Columbus Ohio area to visit Cycle Cat center. They specialize in custom bars, clip-ons rear-sets. etc. They make a very high quality product and can certainly come up with a product to solve the ergo problems of the V-11. Thier web is:

http://www.cyclecat.com/BR1-new.htm

I have talked with Alfred Kobacker, President of Cycle Cat Division, Ideanamics, LLC, 800 Morrison Rd. Columbus, OH 43230 USA. He is very interested in getting his hands on a V-11 lemans so he can work a Guzzi kit. Any takers?

:luigi: