How to clean wrinkle painted engines

helicopterjim R.I.P.

I have been using a small steam cleaner to clean the wrinkle paint on my Rosso Mandello this year. It is a portable home model called the Steam Shark and works fantastic. I spray a biodegradable cleaner on called TCI 104 HD and wait 10 minutes and then using the brush tip attachment I clean it off. Then I rinse with water and so far the engine is staying like new! I have not had any problems with temperature affecting the paint and the pressures are quite low so no seals or gaskets are affected. I havn't found anything that compares to the quality of cleaning.

The manufacturer is EuroPro of Italy and it is model # EP903.

I shall get some photo's and post them when I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like a lot of hard work. My 2003 LeMans cleans is starting to clean the dirt off the engine itself. Previously I had to wash it to. Now the paint just blisters and falls off taking the dirt with it. Talk about technology :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that. I have not had any problems with my paint except that any oil or bugs were hard to get off until I discovered the steam cleaner. If your engine paint is that fragile i would not rccomend the steam cleaner. I hope you find recourse to your problem through the warranty or your dealer.

Guest bshpilot

well im headed to the dealer SOON myself...i hopeful theyll clean my

engine under warrenty.

ive been using soap and water, a sponge and light brush to get the

worst dirt...same i do for all my other bikes & paint...and none of them

are bubblin' or pealin'

Sorry to hear that some of you have problems with wrinkle paint. I have an '01 Rosso Mandello - probably the first of the wrinkle paint and so far it is in fantastic condition. I have used my steam cleaner at least 10 times now and not a single problem with paint lifting off. The only noticeable problem seems to be a small stone chip but it has been there over a year and so far no change.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roadslayer

I've been using Simple Green full strenght on my '02' Lemans. I definetly would not use a steam cleaner. Spray it on with a squirt bottle then hose it off. Roadslayer

• 1 year later...

To the hooligan that posted the clean your engine paint with a steam cleaner.

I only now :angry: read the text correctly.

I thought you were cleaning your engine paint off, with a steam cleaner, and paint remover.

Anyway, I bought one of them machines because of your letter, and paint stripper too.

And, it does not work. the paint just sits there!!!

But after two solid days of scraping and toiling, most of the engine is now clear of the shite paint.

However, the wife loves the steam cleaner. the house is spotless and I haven't had sex for two weeks!!!

Thanks a lot!!!t :drink:

Although my engine paint doesn't have any wrinkles,I use the Autoglym motorcycle cleaner or the Engine cleaner

Lots of km and lots of dirt around but after wash,the result is this

Spray , brush, rince is the name of the game, everywhere concidering hard dirt, even on the brake claws

I have been using a small steam cleaner to clean the wrinkle paint on my Rosso Mandello this year....

I shall get some photo's and post them when I can.

Er... can't wait Jim. Sounds as much fun as, well, watching paint dry. :pic:

Although my engine paint doesn't have any wrinkles,I use the Autoglym motorcycle cleaner or the Engine cleaner

Lots of km and lots of dirt around but after wash,the result is this

Spray , brush, rince is the name of the game, everywhere concidering hard dirt, even on the brake claws

You'll encourage corrosion, Alex: leave it alone!

• 1 month later...