''TOP TEN''

g.forrest

Guest MotoMessiah
Ugh, why do people think an 180° triple is a good thing. These engines feel like a misfiring four. The later 120° engine is better.

75102[/snapback]

Better is relative. For sheer audacity I think it belongs on a short list. :cheese:

At Idle...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, why do people think an 180° triple is a good thing. These engines feel like a misfiring four. The later 120° engine is better.

75102[/snapback]

Dont agree,Nog. Mine was brilliant,best of both worlds,torque of a big twin with something extra.Roared and bellowed and snarled up to 140( verified by a friendly copper with a hairdryer).

Pity the chassis couldn't cope.

75102[/snapback]

Huh? Do you know what you are talking about? The 120 triple had to be rubber-mounted because of high-frequency vibration. The 180 has way more character - I've heard that from just about everyone who has spent time on both versions. The 120 is certainly a fine machine, but hardly "better".

IMHO the best triple was the very late 180 with Nippondenso ignition on the LHS of the crank.

75102[/snapback]

Of couse I couldn't disagree with you more! While I wouldn't agree that it should be considered on a top ten most noteworthy bike list [yes the short list for sure] , but when someone mentions Laverda, most of the time everyone will think '180', then a toss up between the SFC 750 or the 'V6'.

That it has what you call a 'misfire' I should think you would find that a positive characteristic. Afterall, a Moto Guzzi V-twin also has what one would consider a misfire, a gap of power pulses that is longer towards the end of it's 4 stroke completion caused by a single throw crankshaft. And isn't the character of the Moto Guzzi V-twin one of the main reasons we find ourselves on this forum? It certainly isn't high performance, or we'd all be on the Japanese superbike forum, and riding around on emotionless bikes with no missfire and with incredible performance but no way to tell which bike we were on unless we look at the name on the fuel tank. That misfire you talk about is of course notable at idle, but at speed the sound is unmistakable, emotional, and inspirational to all those passionate about the internal combustion engine. Like the Moto Guzzi V-twin, it is very simply 'alive'.

One think to consider, which among other things makes me place a high regard on these 180 deg beasts, that my 25yr old 180 Jota with over 100,000kms on the untouched engine, will easily pull higher top speeds than my EFI Guzzi. Nothing against my V11, I love the Guzzi just as much, for other reasons.

Ciao, Steve G.

I think their is a big difference between best and favorite.

My best list might read something like:

track2006MotoGP Yamaha M1

touring2006Honda Goldwing

sporttouring2006GuzziNorge

Cruiser2006GuzziVintage

MotoCross 2006helll I don't know

Sport 2006Triumph 675

SuperMoto2006 some KTM thang

Trials bike 2006 Beats me

Dual Purpose 2006 huh?

Retro 2006 Ducati Paul Smart

Antique 1923 technncal marvel

etc.

While a favorites list might include

Guzzi Daytona

Guzzi V7Sport

Guzzi 84LeMans

BMW R90S

Norton Commando

Laverda Jota

Honda SL125

76 Honda Goldwing without fairing

HD Vincent Black something or other

HD XR750

Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica

Ducati999

etc.

One could also do a list for most influential, that could draw a more heated argument than global warming.

To that list I'd put

Harley Panhead,

BMW R60

BMW R100RT

ecycle

Triumph Bonneville

Honda CB 750

Laverda Jota

Kawasaki Ninja

Honda Goldwing

Yamaha YZ125 or whatever motocross bike first had a mono-shock

etc.

But I don't know jack about motorcycle history, so I'll be most of you can put together better lists.

No Contest. No List. The BSA Gold Star was by far the best all around bike ever!

Scrambles (moto cross), TT races, road racing, flat track, touring, cruising - it had it all (for its time period). :2c:

Any of you older riders know what BSA stands for if you had a Goldie with the

1 1/2" GP carb - bastard stalled again. :(:(

Don't think so, this monster has Over 500HP, though heavy at 680kg 500 is 500.  :rolleyes:

Have it on presentation , can post pics.

75270[/snapback]

oh no I think it has a big block in it I know what youre talking about. It wasn't the bike I was trying to find for that pic but it had such a huge ass I settled for it. :huh2:

Hmmm, I think age and bike knowledge will really show on this one, but I'll give it a go, and in no particular order, if i could fill my dream garage....

1 Ducati 996. obviously.

2 ducati pantah, circa 76. Because my big brother had a poster of one.

3 benelli tornado tre. Because I like green Italian things.

4 Guzzi Centauro. in red. 'cause it's mean looking.

5 Suzuki gs1100 Katana '81. It was the mutts nuts when I started reading about bikes.

6 MV Agusta f4 1000. Because of the pipes.

7 Buell firebolt. I rode one once and thought it was a riot.

8 Norton commando. because it's beautiful.

9 Ducati 1000 ds. Because someday I might actually get one.

10 Well, my Tenni obviously!

Only 9 to go then. Must go talk to my bank manager...

This concludes the votes from the Dublin jury.

That's me told then.  :blush:  :homer:

75257[/snapback]

Beware awakening the wrath of a Jota rider, Nogbad. Theirs has not been an easy path. It is a world constantly punctuated by moments of stark fear... forever clenched buttocks echoing to the sound of engine casings grinding on tarmac. If they survive to master their art they become a breed apart, to be honoured... but also - feared!

KB :sun: