Round Britain Rally 2006

Martin Barrett

You may have seen my Thread on the 2005 Round Britain Rally but if you've not and would rather find more about the event try here - www.roundbritainrally.co.uk

A photographic and touring event for motorcycles held between April and October. You can do as much or as little as you wish. I know there are some here who dabbled last year.

So whilst it can be addictive for those with obsessive compulsive disorders :( I did 5,600 miles over 12 days to visit all the points. But YOU don't have to.

It starts in a little over a month and the landmark list will be published just before then. So now is the ideal time to send off.

It's a good opportunity to find out a little more about our country and visit some places you perhaps wouldn't ordinarily.

So join up and post your trip reports here (but no photos of landmarks till November).

Please don't let me be Norman No Mates this year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, following one of Martins postings last year I had a look at the site myself, entered and had a great time. As Martin says, it's a great way to see places and ride roads you would not normally see and I did a fair few miles myself. I did not achieve Martins allrounder award :notworthy: myself, only qualifying for a silver award but really enjoyed the event and will attempt to do better this year :P -hopefully.

Cheers Gary :bier:

• 1 month later...

The landmarks arrived last week and I've spent every free minute

Plotting the 84 landmarks rough position on my copy and stuck together Road Atlas index pages.

Then using Google and online mapping to fine tune the landmark. I've made a single sided sheet of A4 on each with a photograph and detail map 1:25000 and a bit of free text if needed. There are a few where I've not been able to do both. But I'm happy enough that I'll be able to find the landmark.

However two landmarks are causing me some difficulty.

One is my local (within 10 miles) landmark and I think I'm in the right area so should find it when I turn up - I hope. But no problem doing repeat visits.

The other unfortunately is nr Plymouth. I've found a dead ringer at another location and thought they might have mixed the clues up, especially when I couldn't initially find marked on the map that locations feature, but have subsequently found something that matches. I have one suspect location but otherwise it will be turn up and search. I only want to make the one trip.

I've then put all the landmarks in to autoroute, not so much to route plan but to produce maps to post here ( I know you're that interested)

Roll on 1st April. I did spot one on the Welsh Waltz 2 but was good and didn't cheat.

RBR06_Landmarks.JPG

For a moment I thought that the dotted line on NW of the map indicated a point in N.I.

Disappointed to realise that it's just the ferry route and the point is at the Scotland end of the line.

I thought that I might have got one point – and you know how much I'd like that.

Guest Nogbad
For a moment I thought that the dotted line on NW of the map indicated a point in N.I.

Disappointed to realise that it's just the ferry route and the point is at the Scotland end of the line.

I thought that I might have got one point – and you know how much I'd like that.

84074[/snapback]

You could get a day ferry ticket and get your point though....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I've started my quest for the RBR event, I deciphered the clue list(well all bar 2!), plotted the places and sat and looked at them. Today was my second outing, first one was fairly local, from Liverpool up to the lakes and then across to the pennines and scottish border country, returning via yorkshire and the dales. All together 440 miles, bright sun and dry roads, have finaly reduced the winter induced chicken strips, last hour after sun went down was a bit cold but what the hell. I can't post actual pictures of the clues but here is a few other pics, despite the bright sun there was still a fair bit off snow on the tops.

web1.jpgweb2.jpgweb3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I’ve started my 2006 RBR campaign this last weekend with the 2nd Buell and V11 Highland Fling. I again decided to stage through my sister’s and tackle the RBR points on route.

Day 1.

I again planned an early start leaving around 0515 but with all the excitement I couldn’t sleep and kept waking up through the night. Enough was enough and I got up and hit the road at about 0445.

Having this extra ½ hour in hand I decided to do an extra point (1), and stopped near Peterborough to visit a column that commemorated a Napoleonic Prisoner of War camp. The A1M runs right by this point and I had planned to do it on the way back if there was time or leave it for another day as is less than 50miles from home.

I continued north up the A1 reaching South Yorkshire turning west, stopping of at a Memorial for a colliery disaster(2), then skirting Barnsley going across the Peak District. There were a few spots of rain and some very dark clouds so I slipped my waterproof over suit on. Just a few showers. On to Manchester where I started to get snarled up the morning rush hour traffic. I hung back a bit in the traffic line not wishing to filter past on a blind bend past a couple of heavies. Once the bend opened up I could see it was a very long queue and then started filtering with earnest (a local bike that I let past me who I kept with until well on to the Manchester ring motorway) my next point was memorials to the 1967 Stockport air disaster (3). Then on to the portal of a canal tunnel (4). I took the chance of dispensing with the over suit. The next landmark was a standing stone (5) and then on to another canal feature, a strange double arched bridge, two bridges one on top of another (6).

I was now away from the industrial towns and enjoying the more open roads, and headed in to Cumbria. Here I saw my first speed camera van of the trip, I was in traffic and leap frog when gaps appeared in the on coming traffic so nothing to fear from this van(I hope) My next point another canal (7), this time one a mile long to provide a sea access and basin only. I now headed up through Windermere and over the Kirkstone pass. But I had to stop to put my over suit back on and pull the rain cover over my tank bag. By the time I had done so the rain had all but stopped but I did pass through some very wet roads so was probably time well spent causing me to actually miss the heavy showers. My next point was just the other side of Penrith a Roman milestone (8),

I was about 5 miles from my sisters and it was only 1545, so I decided I should nip up to Scotland and do a couple of points, this was what I’d done the previous year and proved useful as save time then on the following day when I’d planned to do them. This year they were pencilled in for Sundays return journey, but if I’d do them now it could save time on Sunday which I could use to pick up a point I might not be able to make on Saturday. I did have my doubts about Saturday’s planed route of 700miles.

A quick zip up 25miles of motorway and then turn off into the border hills, some nice roads and two land marks a memorial bench seat to Thomas Telford (9) and a Cross (10), then return to my sisters for 1830.

I wasn’t to damp having only run into the odd shower, but after a nice shower, (why does it feel so good when been out in the rain on and off during the day?) and a hot drink, Done in time for a G&T and a couple of glasses of wine over diner, by 2130 I was ready for bed.

Just under 12 hours on the road and 505 miles done collecting 10 landmarks worth 190 points of the target 1800.

d1.jpg

Sorry no photos of landmarks allowed till November (when I’ll put links in) there are photos to go in the rest of the trip report, but no more tonight.

Landmarks:

1- Stilton, Norman Cross Memorial

2- Darfield, Memorial to victims of Lundhill Colliery Explosion

3- Stockport, Memorial to air disaster

4- Marsden, Eastern portal Standage tunnel

5- Mereclough, "stumps cross" standing stone

6- East Marton, Double bridge over Leeds and Liverpool canal

7- Ulverston, Canal foot and basin

8- Temple Sowerby, Roman milestone

9- Bentpath, Thomas Telford memorial seat

10- Newcastleton, Milnholm cross

and as a video

th_rbr06d1.jpg

click to play

Day 2

Having had an early night I woke up before I’d planned at 0500, so nothing for it so I snuck out of the house and hit the road. I’d picked up the 5l jerry can I’d left behind after last years trip and repacked my luggage expanding the Teknos to take the can and new distribution.

I headed of to Stranraer where I’d had to find a memorial to the Princess Victoria which was the first roll on ferry to sink. Belfastguzzi was also due to land at Stranraer at 0930 so I could meet up with him and ride together.

I caught up with a group of Kawasaki Ninjas, I think one was poorly as seemed to have difficulty pulling away at a roundabout. I snuck past and a few miles later down the road having seen the dark clouds ahead and a few spots of rain I decided to stop and put my over suit on. In the lay-by was a Hyabussa who seemed to having difficulty with his alarm as kept beeping. He seemed to have sorted it out and was donning his waterproofs as I enquired of him. He asked if I was going to Ireland for the racing, and if I’d seen the Kawasakis. I explained that one seemed to be having some difficulty but were coming.

They managed to pass before I’d finished kitting up, but I did get out before the Hyabussa. I caught them up again, he didn’t seem to be having difficulty, I again slipped past in the rain.

I arrived in Stranraer, which was just beyond the rain. I rode past the port towards my landmark and identified a good feature to meet BFG at. Having sorted out the landmark it was now 0845 so I started to text him. I hate texting so slow and cumbersome. Message prepared about to send it and his numbers not in my address list. I had to ring home to get Debs to find it in my PMs, but I had to wait till she’d finished the school run, but it did mean I’d lost my original message. Having got the number there was now a message on my phone from BFG saying he’d missed the ferry. Quick reply saying I’d see him when he got to Spean Bridge.

So set off had lost about 45 minutes but was about ½ hour earlier than if had met up with BFG. Straight in to heavy rain as followed the coast road north. I was able to keep ahead of a black VW Golf (Rabbit in US) I’d like to think it was a V5 syncro (4x4) but could have been a 1.4, Caught up with some heavy traffic on a very twisty bit and I was easily able to get past where he didn’t and then we were in to a stretch of road on which there is “SPECS” a ANPR based average speed system. They seem to be forward facing only but I didn’t take the chance.

I found my castle (2) and headed east to find a historic church (3). I stopped in an old disused black smiths work shop and was able to ride in under the roofing so I could check my maps in the dry.

Having found my point I continued towards Stirling where I’d planned to meet up with JockGuzzi who lived near there and ride together. As I came to the M74 the rain had eased almost completely but the roads were wet. The road I was on came to a mini roundabout where was joined from my right by a minor road or the off slip from the motorway. As I drew up I noticed a large amount of diesel on the roundabout. I had eased off completely and gingerly made my way across and down to pass under the motorway to a large round about the other side. At this point I noticed that it wasn’t a simple diesel slop on the tight roundabout but the whole road was awash in the stuff. I braked to slow for the roundabout The front locked and I lost it left, off the brake was able to catch it and pull it upright brake again and lose it to the right, off the brakes and upright again, there’s no way I can stop before the roundabout I’m running straight on to it. There’s a heavy tipper on the roundabout, this passed in front of me as I enter the round about, luckily there’s nothing following it. Now I’m going straight on, the diesel slick goes off to the left to join the roundabout normally. I’m able to brake normally now and can easily stop in the width of lane on the roundabout. I make my way gingerly around the roundabout, unfortunately I have to follow the diesel slick up the hill, a couple of 100yds there’s a service area. I pull in there and see a marked Police van in the car park. It’s marked up as Accident Investigation Unit, how ironic; I pull up along side it. There’s no one with it and its on trade plates (trade plates – used by motor dealers for testing or delivering a vehicle that is not currently taxed) I then phone the police to advise of the slick. I phone JockGuzzi to say I’m about an hour away.

I get to the memorial to the founder of the SAS (4) and call JockGuzzi. I shed my over suit, but there is still the odd spot of rain. JockGuzzi arrives on his new red Ballabio he has only 700 mile on it and still breaking it in up to 5,000RPM. We top up with fuel and set off. My last point of the day is on the west coast and there is a very nice road out that way, best road of the trip so far. I’d used it last year and engineered my route to take me down it again this year. We stop after what shows as 84 miles for me and top up. JockGuzzi has only done 80miles and used 10% less fuel than me. My standing stones are 8 miles up the road (5)

At last a picture-

060523042.jpg

We then head up to Spean Bridge again topping up at Fort William gives me a full tank to start the next day and again JockGuzzi has done 5% less miles and used 10% less fuel.

We there for 1730 and I’ve done 520 miles in 11 ½ hours and done 5 landmarks scoring 90 points

d2.jpg

Landmarks:-

1- Stranraer, Memorial to MV Princess Victoria

2- Maybole, Maybole Castle

3- Douglas, St Brides church

4- Doune, Sir David Stirling statue

5- Kilmartin, Templewood standing stone circle

th_rbr06d2.jpg

Day 3

I again wake before my alarm and sneak out at 0600. I make my way up along side Loch Ness. There is one Bambi moment as a pair appear in the road in front of me. I brake I’d be able stop in time but it jumps clear. The rain now starts to appear again so once I reach my first point a chambered cairn (1) I put my over suit on again. I’ve also noticed that my rear brake pedal seems not to be returning freely. I check the pad depth, not much left there; I’d save the rear for when really needed then and dowse the pivots in WD40.

At the first fuel stop of the day I check my tyre pressures using my right angle adapter. I head up to Ullapool where I take more fuel on board as I know it’s going to be a rare commodity ahead and up around the North West coast roads. The rain has gone a bit overcast and very rarely a few spots. The roads are fantastic, there is a bit of single track as well.

I have a memorial at the Kylesku bridge (2)

IMG_0047.jpg

and as I make my way around the north coast I have to stop for another photograph

IMG_0051.jpg

I’m getting conscious of the fuel level is low and doing the maths Have I got enough to reach the next fuel. There is no fuel in Tongue the village I’d hoped to fill up in. I should make it to Thurso but I might need my jerry can to do so. In the end about 10 miles short of Thurso I find fuel at a small village shop. More than happy to pay £1.05 a litre.

I get to Thurso you can’t move for petrol stations! There’s even a bike shop I stop to see if they have brake pads for the rear, none in stock.

I’ve two points at or near Dunnet Head (3&4) the most northerly mainland point

IMG_0055.jpg

It’s now 1300 I’m happy with the progress.

Head back down the east coast road, lots of new road built, very good, as get further south really opens out. I pass back through Inverness that’s the northern loop of my figure of eight completed.

My next stop a stone that cracked when they burnt a witch in a barrel of tar on it. (5).

Then on to an old market cross (6), as I’m going along the minor roads cutting cross country to this point I notice a slight weave in the handling. I think tyre pressures. I think that perhaps where there is a slight delay in taking the right angle adapter off its allowed some of the ultra seal to be blown out and perhaps block the valve open. Whilst taking my picture a local approaches he used to have a MK1. He advises where I can find fuel on my route, I head his advice and gingerly weave there, I reinflate the rear tyre, I find that I’ve a puncture, the ultra seal seams to be holding it, but I pick up a can of tyre weld as well. I decide not to plug the hole and see if the Ultra seal can do its stuff. I make my way to Braemar where there’s a memorial made of an aircraft engine to a crashed aircrew (7). The tyre seems to be holding, but shortly afterwards I notice that it’s going off again.

I see a couple of sports bike riders pulled up I stop and speak and confirm where I can find petrol and an air line. I fill up at Pitlocry it’s 1930 I decide I’ll push on to Rannoch Station, this is isolated 30 miles down a road only approachable from the one direction and I’ll have to back track 20 miles before I can loop around and head back to Spean Bridge. Having committed myself the rain starts again. It’s no fun in the rain aware that I’m on a softening tyre. Due to this I end up following a car not wishing to push it and it takes over an hour to make it there (8). The rain has actually stopped there but starts again on my return and is now getting dark.

I reach the A82 and head back towards Spean Bridge, there’s a notice about the road being closed overnight due to road works, I’ve 10 minutes before the closure goes on and its 20 miles. I press on. I hope that they’d close the road behind me at 2200 and not where the works are. If I’m wrong it would be a 130 mile diversion. I make it back to the hotel at 2215 no sign of the roadworks.

I decide that I won’t head down to Fort William for fuel but will have a leisurely start and attempt to plug my tyre in the morning and have breakfast.

I’ve done 720 miles, the last 200 with my slow puncture. I’m sure the Ultra seal helped keeping some pressure and slowing the rate of loss. I’d been gone for over 16 hours with no major rest breaks, only stopping for fuel, air and photos. I’d visited 8 landmarks and scored 285 points.

d3.jpg

Landmarks:

1- Cannich, Corrimony chambered cain

2- Kylesku, Cairn memorial to XIIth Submarine Flotilla

3- Dunnet Bay, Millenium dyke

4- Dunnet Head, Plaque "most northerly point Mainland Britain"

5- Forres, Witches Stone

6- Turriff, The old cross

7- Braemar, Vickers Wellington R1646 Memorial

8- Rannoch, Renton stone

th_rbr06d3.jpg

Day 4

Had a lie in didn’t get up till 0600. Pottered about and went out to fix the tyre at 0700. This is the first time I’d used the plug kit had I known how easy it was I’d have done it in the rain the previous day.

060523062.jpg

060523063.jpg

The three CO2 bulbs wasn’t enough to get it up to full pressure, and you can’t see the provided blade used to trim the protruding plug, It got covered in the vulcanising rubber glue and stuck to the back of the instructions. Tyre fixed within ½ an hour and now time for breakfast.

I had planned to retrace my steps and loop north of the Grampians to head out east, but as I needed fuel and air I had to go to Fort William so took the southern loop. Nice roads through Glen Coe making good progress and the weather is fine. I’ve overtaken a coach and crest a sweeping brow leading on to a long straight. I can see about 400yds down the straight a lay-by on the offside, there’s a couple of vehicles parked there including a high topped panel van. I ease looking for passengers; I notice that one of the rear doors of the van is open. I’m on a closed throttle now and slowly losing speed, as I close I can now see it for what it is, there’s a laser camera operator sat in the rear. No point braking now I’m only just over an indicated 60 (national speed limits for single carriageway) and he’s probably got his fix on me a 100-200yds previously. As I go past his colleague is stood at the front of the vehicle ready to record my number plate.

I’ve no idea on what speed he’s got me at, could be anywhere from 80 down. I’m sure he would have got me above the limit. These things do nothing for road safety I spent the next few days worrying about the ramifications and not concentrating on my riding. So far nothing through the post, they’ve another week and then it’s out of time. I hope for a fixed penalty notice £60 and 3points (get 12 points in 3 years and you’re going to get a ban), It could be a summons, if the speeds not to high it could be dealt in my absence the fine would be bigger and could be up to 6 points. If its too fast and the court would want to consider a ban I’d have to attend in person. It’s a very long way to go and expensive. I’d also have to declare anything other than a penalty notice to work and could receive additional penalty. I know “if you can’t do the time don’t do the crime”

There’s another one of the bloody things right at the start of the 30mph limit as you round a bend in the next village, though to be fair it appears to be a different constabulary area. No concerns over this one.

I continue looping east and have to put the over suit back on at my next fuel stop, but the rain is only intermittent showers. As I’m headed towards Forfar I see coming towards me a Green V11. This is the first time I’ve seen a V11 on the road other one that also attending a rally, and a Scura in the bike park at a show.

I reach my first point a statue (1) at 1230 and I’m glad I did those two points on Friday and Rannoch Station the previous night. I ring my sister to advise that I might not get there till gone 2000 and not wait for me for dinner. We decide I’ll update them with my progress.

The weather improves and I make good progress to my next points: a memorial stone to the first Scottish balloon flight (2); a castle (3); a dovecote (4) and a memorial to Richard Hillary (5) think of Douglas Bader but with serious burns and you’d not be too far of the mark a real hero.

Whilst making my way south I did come across another speed camera van, again in a national speed limit but sighted at a cross roads and noticeably at the junction there was a floral tribute. I have no qualms about the sighting of the van here, provided they weren’t picking people off at long range before they had time to adjust for the “hazard”. I was in heavy traffic and only able to put in small over takes so again have no concerns about this one. I even think it was here when I came down this road last year.

Having reached my fifth point it’s only just gone 1700, I ring my sister I’m only about an hour and a half away if make good progress. I now notice that the handling has gone a bit weavy again, I think I’ve lost a bit of tyre pressure. The repair is only supposed to be a temporary repair for 400km and 40 mph. I press on the rain has appeared with vengeance. When I slow there is a rumble from the rear end. I have a look, the UJs and bevel box appear okay I suspect a wheel bearing. It’s 1730 on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere and it’s pissing down. I decide to press on. I make it to my sisters for 1900.

That’s 10 hours and I think about 400 miles, 5 landmarks earning 115 points.

d4.jpg

Landmarks:

1- Montrose, James Graham Statue

2- Pitscottie, Memorial to Vincenzo Lunardi

3- Winchburgh, Niddry Castle

4- Bolton, Doocot

5- Greenlaw, Memorial to Richard Hillary RAF

th_rbr06d4.jpg

Day 5

I take the bike first thing to Penrith Motorcycles, the top chaps there replace my left rear bearing. Need the tig welder to get it out.

060523073.jpg

But I’m all sorted by 1000 and back on the road. My gloves haven’t dried out so I’m using my spare set. I set of to Northumberland and as I leave Penrith I’m into constant rain. It takes me three hours to get to my first point a castle (1) Then down into South Shields for a life boat memorial (2) and then to a priory near Durham (3). I press on to Scotch Corner, it’s now 1500 I’m cold and my hand are wet, though the over suit has kept the worst out. I decide not to do the three points I’d planned to do in North Yorkshire despite two are only about 15 miles of the A1, It’s no fun in the heavy rain. I’ll comeback on a better day. I press on home heavy rain until I’m about 20 miles from home.

I’m home by 1830 again about 400 miles, only 3 landmarks scoring 55 points.

d5.jpg

A total trip mileage of 2510 miles. A mixed bundle of experiences

Landmarks:

1- Warkworth, Warkworth castle

2- South Shields, The lifeboat "Tyne"

3- Newton Hall, Finchale Priory

th_rbr06d5.jpg

I  was about 5 miles from my sisters and it was only 1545, so I decided I should nip up to Scotland and do a couple of points, this was what I’d done the previous year and proved useful as save time then on the following day when I’d planned to do them.

90209[/snapback]

Interesting to read about the "timekeeping" aspect of your ride.

kinda like an off-road enduro.

I might fancy a go at one of these things one day :grin:

My next stop a stone that cracked when they burnt a witch in a barrel of tar on it.

90399[/snapback]

y'all don't mess around with that "see if she floats" method they use in the states :D

720 miles on day 3...crickey :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

From the map it looks like you covered all of Scotland in one day! You don't mess around :bier:

my longest day ever was 675 miles in 12 hours and they had to peel me off the bike after that!

Well done! :mg:

Will, you should consider it. especially if your going to keep your bike over here. You could do as much or as little as you wanted. Could give added incentives to explore the far reaches. The planning stage is quite intresting and would help fill up any dead time you experiance whilst on the rig. Gary has something similar on his website but covers Wales only.

I've been working on my route to Ireland and this is what the computer reckons.

w1.jpg

866km and 12 1/2 hours

I was thinking going 4-6 -7-5-11-10-9-8 and 12, 100km longer but probably gives me more time in the hills and I could do 8-12 in the dark if need be, so gives me more daylight and if well ahead of the game it would be easier to sneak up to Oswestry.

Gary how are you doing?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin just found this thread again (been having a blonde moment). I,ve done 6,9,10,11,17,22,36,48,49,58,60,72,73,77,78and 79. Had some good runs and a bit of naff road around stafford but enjoying it.

one long day to do cumbria, and north to the seat and cross in the borders then back across to reeth and down to the double bridges over the canal, 440 miles cracking roads but a bit cool snow still on many off the tops including the carpark at hartside!

Have had a lot on and not able to get out as much as usual, but after Erin and french holidays following couple off weeks will get down to it in earnest. As you say no pics of landmarks but here is a couple of pictures from my travels.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Cheers Gary--See you in Ireland