Alpina spoked wheels

mdude

Fak! $3K for a set of wheels that are heavier than stock?? May as well buy a Harley if you're going that road. Not fer this cowboy.

Rj

Using that same reasoning, you might as well buy a Suzuki if you are so concerned about the weight of your wheels. :grin:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stainless spokes are heavy. I'm making an experienced assumption that I doubt will be proven wrong. Order a set and find out.

Same weight in hub. Similar weight in rim. Same weight in brake bits, bearings and tires. 3 hollow alloy spines Vs weight of SS spokes. I expect these will be heavier for sure. Certainly won't be lighter.

Rj

Stainless spokes are heavy. I'm making an experienced assumption that I doubt will be proven wrong. Order a set and find out.

Same weight in hub. Similar weight in rim. Same weight in brake bits, bearings and tires. 3 hollow alloy spines Vs weight of SS spokes. I expect these will be heavier for sure. Certainly won't be lighter.

Rj

First off, the rim section of a spoked rim is extruded aluminum. The three-spoke Brembos are cast and much thicker/heavier.

Same for the hub section. The cast Brembos are going to be heavier.

Forged aluminum or forged magnesium are the way to go for the lightest weight, but I guarantee you these Alpina wheels are several pounds lighter than the stock cast Brembos.

Any weight that can be removed from a wheel on a motorcycle will help improve turning characteristics and suspension performance.

I've not yet weighed the wheels on my Nero Corsa, but the OEM front wheel on my Sport 1100 weighs 14 lbs without the brake rotors. I'll bet the OEM V11 wheels aren't much lighter than that. Maybe 12-13 lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if the Alpina wheels weighed somewhere around 10-11 lbs.

Forged aluminum or forged magnesium are the way to go for the lightest weight, but I guarantee you these Alpina wheels are several pounds lighter than the stock cast Brembos.

Several pounds??? Excellent! You're guessing too! I see a bet coming on - say $50US?? What's $50 between rockers?

Definitive proof will be required however. I never welch.

Rj

Guest ratchethack

Hm. Interesting. . .

Now this is just me, but I'm pretty sure I've never hefted heavier wheels than the Guzzi cast Alu Brembo's, and I've hefted a heap o' far, far lighter extruded rim spoked wheels.

Never weighed 'em, tho -- and I ain't a bettin' man.

But I'd expect the Alpina's to be MORE THAN 2-3 lbs. lighter. :rolleyes:

Now who's gonna do the honors with certified calibrated scales, witnesses, and process the signed & notarized documentation? :grin:

Just a bit curious...

How much weight could the average V11 shed if the rider stoped eating cheese burgers and drinking beer?

Two or maybe three lbs.?

You may have a point, but they will just answer, in chorus, it's all about unsprung mass :P

According to someone here,

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1265210

the Alpinas saved an Aprillia 7 pounds, presumably a good deal of that from the lack of tubes over the stock "light alloy" wheels on the SVX.

I'll bet the front saves at least 3 pounds and the rear at least 4 pounds over the Brembo cast tin foil.

But damn that price is higher than I had hoped.

You may have a point, but they will just answer, in chorus, it's all about unsprung mass :P

...and rotational inertia. RoI.

Reducing weight at the rim will improve/quicken steering. Something that the average Guzzi needs.

Just a bit curious...

How much weight could the average V11 shed if the rider stoped eating cheese burgers and drinking beer?

Two or maybe three lbs.?

I lost 20 pounds when I gave up cheeseburgers, fries, and regular soft drinks.

You're right. Some of the biggest performance gains can be had by reducing the weight of the rider.

Back in 1994, my cousin and I bought identical Harley Sportsters. I weighed 50 lbs more than he did, and although I had modified my bike a little, he was still faster than me in a drag race. Weight is important no matter from where you remove it.

Rotating mass is very important in motorcycles. Anything rotating that can be lightened will improve performance in a tangible way.

According to someone here,

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1265210

the Alpinas saved an Aprillia 7 pounds, presumably a good deal of that from the lack of tubes over the stock "light alloy" wheels on the SVX.

I'll bet the front saves at least 3 pounds and the rear at least 4 pounds over the Brembo cast tin foil.

But damn that price is higher than I had hoped.

Some guys that are obsessed with RoI weigh the tires.

It is my understanding that tires can vary a couple pounds between manufacturers.

Michelin Pilots are supposed to be among the lightest.

Just a bit curious...

Two or maybe three lbs.?

Hey, for $3000 I'd shed some pounds. IF and IF these wheels do prove lighter, it won't be by more than 10%. And the weight savings won't be at the outer radius where it would do the most good. Them SS nipples is heavy too!

And as for the bet, now that Rocker's read it, posted, and not responded I'll take that to mean he's not interested in it or is off looking for definitive proof. Either way the offer is now void. I'm not entirely stooopid. :whistle:

I sure do like the look of spokes on a bike but not $3K for no performance gain. Can't justify that for something that only makes the bike look good standing still.

:bier:

Rj

Hey, for $3000 I'd shed some pounds. IF and IF these wheels do prove lighter, it won't be by more than 10%. And the weight savings won't be at the outer radius where it would do the most good. Them SS nipples is heavy too!

And as for the bet, now that Rocker's read it, posted, and not responded I'll take that to mean he's not interested in it or is off looking for definitive proof. Either way the offer is now void. I'm not entirely stooopid. :whistle:

I sure do like the look of spokes on a bike but not $3K for no performance gain. Can't justify that for something that only makes the bike look good standing still.

Rj

I'm not generally a betting man. I'm afraid that there may not be an acceptable answer available any time soon and don't want either of us to be dissatisfied with that.

We are having a great discussion here with some divergent opinions. Hopefully we will be able to determine from Alpina or Rosso Puro what these wheels weigh.

Time will tell.

No worries Mike! FYI - people have made a lot of money betting against me! I also know people who base their financial life strategy on doing exactly the opposite of what I do. They're getting rich too.

I'm certain that my Irish heritage includes some kind of perpetual poverty clause. :) Although recent family detective work has uncovered that my relatives in Ireland were quite wealthy at one point - one started the Barton & Guestier wine/shipping company in the early 1700's. Still in business today.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough wine. No, that can't be it... :drink:

Rj