Reassembling the Rear Wheel,..Question.

mznyc

Putting the rear back together and the swingarm sits against the inner ring of the LH bearing.Am I missing a shim or washer?in the picture you can see a shim between RH swingarm and rear housing.Does that belong on the LHS?

PS had little difficulty in greasing the forward shaft nipple with a adjustable head and a 12" flexible hose.Thanks Tom! :bier:

DSCN0404.jpg

DSCN0402.jpg

DSCN0401.jpg

Going from memory that looks correct to me Michael. Glad to see you're about to get back on the road :)

I can't take credit for finding that grease gun tip that works on the front ujoint, I just repeated the info that I had saved a while back after searching the forum. You owe the originator of that info a beer, but I'll take one anyway :bier:

Hey Tom,can you,or anyone else take a look at your bike when you get a chance.Just seems weird that it sits up against that,but Guzzi's quirkiness doesn't surprise me much anymore. <_>

I myself never turn a beer down.Waiting on tires,so I'll be down till I spoon them on.Hopefully you can come for a ride up here in the beautiful Catskills and I can buy ya that beer! :bier:

Guest ratchethack
Am I missing a shim or washer?in the picture you can see a shim between RH swingarm and rear housing.

MZNYC, everything in the photo's is as it should be. It's difficult to see in your photo #1, but it looks like the ~41 mm OD flat washer that protects the small needle bearing in the bevel box between the bevel box and swingarm is in place.

Does that belong on the LHS?

No. LHS looks good also. :luigi:

Have no fear, that's the way it is supposed to be, right up against the inner race of the left side bearing. The brake caliper bracket is the spacer!

:bier:

Steve

P.S There is a small (and greasy) spacer that presses up against the inner race on the right side of the wheel as well. It is presses up against another bearing in the bevel box (which ultimately presses against the right side swing arm). This sometimes gets left out accidently and will keep the wheel from spinning as you try to torque the axle down.

Thanks guys makes me feel better,NOW I can take her for a test drive!

No wonder why these things die early!No protection from the elements.

Steve I stand corrected,yes that is the brake mount that sits up against bearing.Thanks for the heads up on the RH spacer(the brass one). I did put it back in place when reassembling. :bier:

Guest ratchethack
Thanks for the heads up on the RH spacer(the brass one). I did put it back in place when reassembling. :bier:

Uh-oh. No brass wheel spacers on any Guzzi -- or any other moto I've ever owned, heard of, or ever will hear of. :(

Wheel spacers are steel unless they've been replaced by custom fitting T6 aluminum, or it's equivalent -- OR, of course, the favorite choice of at least one of our regulars -- titanium (for the purpose of saving at least a few grams of unsprung weight on a rear swingarm/bevel drive hub/wheel assembly that weighs ~50 lbs. :o ). But that's about as silly as a bag o' hammers, ain't it? ;):whistle:

Hmm.I thought it was brass.

I'll be pulling the rear off again to change the rear tire when it comes in but wanted it together so I could roll it back into the shed.I'll take a pic when I get er off. :P No pun intended.

PS In a previous post about changing own tires, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...51&hl=tireI went with the Harbor Freight changer and a Mojo Lever,about $200.00 total.With saving on tire prices(local shop couldn't come close to SWmoto's price),$80.00 installation,and NYS tax,(and hopefully no scratches).It pays for itself in ONE changing.3 of my bikes are awaiting tires

Will do a post-up with pics on how it works.

Thanks guys makes me feel better,NOW I can take her for a test drive!

No wonder why these things die early!No protection from the elements.

Steve I stand corrected,yes that is the brake mount that sits up against bearing.Thanks for the heads up on the RH spacer(the brass one). I did put it back in place when reassembling. :bier:

I don't think it's brass, just that cheezy Italian cadmium plating.

Steve

Carefully reassembled the brake,but now don't have any stop power.Looked OK without taking apart.Any tips on re-installing rear brake that might cause this?

Thanks,

Michael

Guest ratchethack

Michael, if you bled the system with the caliper off the bike and bleed nipple pointed UP, whilst tilting it from side to side and rapping it with a block to release trapped air bubbles, then pumped it up after reinstalling the caliper, it should have a nice firm pedal feel. Otherwise, you could be pumping against a great wallopping air spring due to inadequate bleeding. :unsure:

Oops,wasn't clear.I didn't do brake service,just detached it from swingarm to get to wheel and then reattached it.

I have no rear brake now.Brake was fine before.

Is everything ok and in place at the brake lever / rod / fluid cylinder end of the line?

If it is then you'll just have to work through it section by section. It's a simple system so you should be able to see where the problem is.

Did you clean or look at the condition of the rear caliper / pads / pistons when you had it off? It gets bunged-up with dirt. You should take the opportunity to clean it.

Recently I cleaned my rear rim using de-grease spray (what's it called in english, mineral spirit?) and then immediately went for a ríde. I soon noticed I had NO rear brake. It was so totally gone I did not even connect it to the cleaning. But as the rear wheel brake is merely cosmetical in most kinds of driving, I went on. And soon I realised what was going on and my brake came back to 100% (which is still just a p!ss in the ocean compared to the front) after some violent braking during throttle.

I always try to avoid spraying the rotor. This confirmed why that's a good idea.