broken exhaust supports

docc

The night before I took off on a pretty aggressive 1200 mile weekend sport-tour, I found the left bag mount loose. On closer inspection I found the mounting tab and the rear sub frame had come from together. Home now and the "paddock weld" has held, but now to figure out a more proper fix.

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

Unlucky docc, I saw the photos and went straight out to check my exhaust supports :luigi: , although i dont use the H&B bags, so is that the subframe cracked or a H&B bolt on part!!!.

Gary

That's actual subframe tab for attaching the bracket for the passenger footpeg and the exhaust canister. The carrier for the TEKNO pannier bolts on here also. I believe I have seen reports of its actual wire frame coming apart at welds, but never heard of this one.

The Sport just turned 75,000 miles (120,000 kM) and I've used the bags since the beginning. (I never heard that TEKNO is made by Hepko and Becker. Is that so?)

I'm riding to Barber's Vintage Festival in ten days, but that's only 220 miles and a much more leisurely pace than this ride I've just returned from, so I think I'll run my "paddock weld" a little longer before deciding on a permanent fix.

I'll just have to price the thing new. Probably should drink single malt first!:drink:

I never heard that TEKNO is made by Hepko and Becker. Is that so

I'll just have to price the thing new. Probably should drink single malt first!:drink:

No thats just a :whistle: typo from me , sorry to add to the confusion, have another single malt and have one for me as well. :drink:

That's steel, so it should be easy to weld. PITA to get all the plastic out of the way, though.

I just checked rebootguzzispares.com and they have a '06 sport, so if all else fails, you won't have to buy new.

I've been drinking Germain Robin Alambic Brandy recently (just as something different than single malt). Worth a try- it's good stuff. Costs about as much as single malt. Eases the pain just as well. :bier:

In the meanwhile, search eBay for a tail section or find a GOOD welder who you know can or has a wire feed welder. Believe it or not an exhaust shop can probably do a good job. It will be up to you to dismantle things to where it can be welded. Disconnect the battery before welding or you'll be sorry.

Sounds like a winter project to me. Lot's of little stuff stuffed in that tail section over the rear subframe.

Might should add this inspection to "What to do while the wheels are off.":luigi:

• 3 years later...

Well, this is my big push to take care of this niggly broken hanger bracket. Basically all afternoon uncovering the rear subframe.

Major setback now that the harness is fed through the tubes and I cannot figure out how to get it apart without taking the harness from the forward components (coils, fuel pump, and injectors). I'm bummed. :mellow:

I've fished the entire FI/ignition harness off the loom and removed the subframe. For the record, the bracket's welds did not break, but the bracket itself:

DSCN1058.JPG