Gearbox earth (ground) point - warning

SeanP61

Hi all

thanks for all advice & tips when I was trying to replace the bolt that holds the gearbox earth strap last year

just an update that members might want to consider

to recap:

last year I was trying to sort an electrical problem and started by looking at the earth

I removed gearbox earth bolt to clean up contacts but could not relocate it in its retaining thread 

Thanks for all help and sympathy.

To resolve this I thought I would need to remove the gearbox casing as I couldn't know what was misplaced within the gearbox and had dropped in front of the thread

I removed wheel / pork chops etc to get swinging arm out - as there was a fair amount of corrosion this has taken months - all bolts resisted turning.

With swinging arm out I thought I would try and replace bolt

With more access room  I managed to use a number of progressively larger 'podgers' - cable tie, then wire, then screw drivers and managed to pry up the obstruction and eventually replace bolt as it should be.

As I can't be sure that what was misplaced in the gearbox I will run the bike and check all gears are functioning and no chance of seizing before reassembling the rear end - which will be repainted and cleaned up.

My warning is - if you just want to clean up earth point to the gearbox undo bolt a few turns to get in a small wire brush to clean up the contact area and then replace  - the issue may just be something to do with a fault in my bike - although everything was working fine in the gearbox prior to taking bolt out, but it's a lot of hassle if you are just cleaning up the earth contact

thanks for a great site - see you on the road soon - if you're in Europe anyway

Sean

There are, apparently, more than location for the ground/ earth cable depending on Luigi's whim, perhaps, or subsequent technician's reassembly.

The manual shows it under the 11:00 position looking forward at the output shaft cover.  Although, Kiwi_Roy found his under the seat latch bracket and moved it outboard to the 1:00 position for easy access.

Sean, could you take a photo or describe where yours is located?

Hi 

mine was behind the seat latch - i'll post a picture later today if I get the time if not later in week - as swing arm is off its location should be quite clear

cheers

Sean

image.jpeg

Hi pic attached - looking at it it seems mine is at the roughly 11 o'clock location which seems most usual

perhaps there is another issue with my gearbox - I'll find out soon I guess

worth considering though as it's a total pain to disassemble the rear end to fix

cheers

Sean

That is the usual location per the manual. I suppose we can make this the next Tech Session at the Eleventh South'n Spine Raid and look a few of them over all at once. Or maybe a poll - we haven't had one of those for a while!

When we say "behind the seat latch," the standard location is most easily accessed by removing the seat latch, but the ground should not actually be fastened by the seat latch bolt.

I can't see anything in the diagrams that would block the fastener, or shift, with just that one bolt removed. :huh2:  Maybe someone with gearbox experience (Andy York :notworthy: ) could chime in?