Fuel injector seals

czakky

After seeing Scud and Marty's super fuel injector cleaner at work and my bike being torn down for a mini refresh this winter. I decided to have a go at cleaning mine. It's a bit of a pain in the butt getting those snap rings and aluminum holders in place.

Other than that, has anyone sourced the seal and o-rings? Not so much the o-rings but the seal around the injector itself might be harder to track down.

I got the o-ring seals from Moto International for my injectors. The guy just grabbed an injector from the workshop, and selected seals from a box of assorted seals. I thought "I could have done that myself".

But not the wide flat seal in the middle of each injector. I couldn't find a source, so I cleaned them, looked for cracks by stretching them a little, then lubed & refitted.

I did sand down the top and bottom faces of the plastic Injector Housing Blocks so that there was some clamping of the o-rings when the screws were tightened. I did this to make sure that the injectors don't jiggle too much under manifold vacuum pulses.

BTW, do you want to borrow an injector cleaning kit so you can backwash and check spray pattern?

+1

Get yourself a nice pair of ring pliers. I recently got a Craftsman tool that comes with a bunch of different tips. So easy with the right tool.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-retaining-ring-pliers-internal-external/p-00947412000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Also - those half-moon aluminum holders go in way easier if you pull the fuel lines back a little - then snug them up after the injector is in place.  And hey - why not just throw in some new high-pressure fuel-injection hoses while you're in there? This would be the time to do it.

@Marty, I'm pretty sure I got a good back flush with my clumsy and less elegant sprayer. It was certainly inspired by your design just more hastily concocted. They really looked clean and I didn't notice a difference in spray pattern.

@Scud, I know I've purchased one of those pliers but of course when I need to use it goes MIA.... Yeah that's what I ended up doing with my fuel lines. It just makes no sense how that can make a seal...

I've got an order with MI already I can see if they can throw those in.