New V11 - BACKFIRING & BLUING on header...

v50man

Hey everybody --

I've been lurking about this forum for a few months to gather all the information I can before making a purchase -- and I just took delivery on a black 2003 V11 naked yesterday afternoon.

It's the "new" 2003 (no wrinkle black paint and the front balance pipe).

Anyway, as I've been slammed with work, I had time only to toss it around town and get it home before getting back to work (about 25 miles). During my initial run I experienced some backfiring -- very unusual for a new bike.

Additionally, I noticed a bit of premature "bluing" of the left header (nothing too severe, but more than the right header).

As a longtime Guzzisti and multiple-Guzzi owner, I decided to park it until I can run it back to the dealer (Atlanta Triumph-Ducati) and get an idea what's going on.

Any ideas? This is a NOS, brand-new bike, BTW.

Thanks

P.S. LOVE the bike. Light, balanced, (relatively) flickable, with a much smoother power delivery than the 4-valver.

Sounds like the fuel injection is set up badly, seems to happen a lot in the States. Dealer shouldn't have sent it out like that, he may/may not be the man to get it sorted ? Anyone in the area good with FI set up?

Welcome, they're great bikes once you get them sorted!

KB :sun:

Sounds like the fuel injection is set up badly, seems to happen a lot in the States. Dealer shouldn't have sent it out like that, he may/may not be the man to get it sorted ? Anyone in the area good with FI set up?

Welcome, they're great bikes once you get them sorted!

KB :sun:

41156[/snapback]

Thanks. I've actually been working with the guys at Atlanta Truiumph-Ducati for over 10 years, and I'm confident that Michael is among the smartest mechanics alive.

For some reason, the bike was only ridden to get gas prior to my picking it up.

Disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Does sound like it's running a bit lean. If you're a diy'er (and I hope you are), then do a search on 'TPS' or 'setting TPS' to see how to richen it up a bit- it's easy.

I've noticed on ALL my Guzzi's that one header blues more than the other. Not usually by much, but a little.

Congrats, and welcome!

Jason

Does sound like it's running a bit lean.  If you're a diy'er (and  I hope you are), then do a search on 'TPS' or 'setting TPS' to see how to richen it up a bit- it's easy.

I've noticed on ALL my Guzzi's that one header blues more than the other.  Not usually by much, but a little.

Congrats, and welcome!

Jason

41161[/snapback]

jrt --

Didn't turn up much with a search of the site.

On the Centauro, it's quite simple (the turn of a small screw). I'll have to sort it out.

Thanks

My left hand header blued more than the right. The popping started at 3,800 miles and was diagnosed as cracks to both headers, but I think the right was worse.

I wouldn't have thought your headers would have cracked yet, could be leak around exhaust gaskets. If its not the fueling the other common fix is to set tappets at european specs (looser). Seems to keep the bikes happier by all accounts.

I love mine. Up untill the shock broke (only two reports- not endemic) the only faults were minor niggles which didn't stop me riding it. Currently off the road (1st week elapsed) waiting for the shock ( could be a while piss poor general parts supply) being dealt with under waranty.

I've not laid a spanner on mine (other than to fit pannier frames, re fit starter cover correctly, and rear light bulb), falsely beliving it would have been put together right. How ever the failed shock indicates a possible contributing cause as lack of grease on suspension. I would recommend a check of all spindles and bearings etc.

Can't wait to get her back :wub:

My left hand header blued more than the right. The popping started at 3,800 miles and was diagnosed as cracks to both headers, but I think the right was worse.

I wouldn't have thought your headers would have cracked yet, could be leak around exhaust gaskets. If its not the fueling the other common fix is to set tappets at european specs (looser). Seems to keep the bikes happier by all accounts.

I love mine. Up untill the shock broke (only two reports- not endemic) the only faults were minor niggles which didn't stop me riding it. Currently off the road (1st week elapsed) waiting for the shock ( could be a while piss poor general parts supply) being dealt with under waranty.

I've not laid a spanner on mine (other than to fit pannier frames, re fit starter cover correctly, and rear light bulb), falsely beliving it would have been put together right. How ever the failed shock indicates a possible contributing cause as lack of grease on suspension. I would recommend a check of all spindles and bearings etc.

Can't wait to get her back  :wub:

41166[/snapback]

Martin --

Been following your saga. Hope you're up and running soon.

I'll check the headers (hope they're not cracked) and re-set the tappets once broken in.

Will let everyone know when diagnosed.

Thanks.

It's probably something simple. Possibly an air leak.

I love my bike but I love it alot more now that its pretty well set up. If I had it to do over again I'd start day one with a tune up; ie valve setting, balance, and, as Jason pointed out, TBS setting. You might want to have a look and see if the paint is still on the various adjusters which would indicate whether anyone has touched it. Mine were virgin after two services.

Enjoy

It's probably something simple. Possibly an air leak.

I love my bike but I love it alot more now that its pretty well set up. If I had it to do over again I'd start day one with a tune up; ie valve setting, balance, and, as Jason pointed out, TBS setting. You might want to have a look and see if the paint is still on the various adjusters which would indicate whether anyone has touched it. Mine were virgin after two services.

Enjoy

41175[/snapback]

Will do.

Again -- thanks.

v50

Here's a couple of places to check-

Guzzitech is a clearinghouse for all sorts of good stuff:

http://www.guzzitech.com/EVTuneup-Jeff_B.html

It's for an EV, but works for the LeMans as well. The three wires *may* be different. Also, there's probably no reason to torque the heads as described.

Here's a good thread (and Carl has a link inside the discussion) on this site:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3228

I've found in practice that if you don't bother to take the injector links apart; just measure the TPS without mucking with balance, it works pretty well and is very quick. Depends on how much time you want to invest.

And- check for air leaks- that's a good idea, too.

Hope that helps-

Jason

Here's a couple of places to check-

Guzzitech is a clearinghouse for all sorts of good stuff:

http://www.guzzitech.com/EVTuneup-Jeff_B.html

It's for an EV, but works for the LeMans as well.  The three wires *may* be different.  Also, there's probably no reason to torque the heads as described.

Here's a good thread (and Carl has a link inside the discussion) on this site:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3228

I've found in practice that if you don't bother to take the injector links apart; just measure the TPS without mucking with balance, it works pretty well and is very quick.  Depends on how much time you want to invest.

And- check for air leaks- that's a good idea, too.

Hope that helps-

Jason

41219[/snapback]

Jason --

Again, thanks for the links and the thoughts.

Called Atlanta Triumph-Ducati and advised them of the situation and they were ANXIOUS to get the bike back -- drop everything -- and get it perfect. I've been dealing with these guys since they were in a little metal building in Athens (GA) -- and this is one of the reasons why.

For now, I'll leave it to them for a first look (on Saturday, sadly the earliest I can break away).

After that -- if necessary -- I'll dive in.

Just wanted to extend an "attaboy" to a group of guys (ATD) trying to make an honest buck in a business that ain't easy.

Again, thanks. I cannot wait to get back on this bike -- it is the perfect blend of old and new.

Safe riding...

V50

That's cool- props to ATD for good service.

One thing I didn't notice that will also make a difference- tight valve settings. Ask ATD to use 'world settings' for valves (if they don't already).

Jason