spring question

bigbikerrick

after reading here that on some bikes the factory put the "choke" spring in the seat latch,and vice versa, I noticed my choke/fast idle button required herculean strength to fully activate, I felt the springs and the seat latch spring was much weaker, so I swapped them, the smaller spring in the seat latch had to be "threaded" to get it to slip off the cable, the one that was on the fast idle slipped right over the seat cable end( I dont see how the folks at Mandello screwed the pooch on this one!) now my fast idle button is nice and smooth, but the seat removal is so stiff it feels like Im going to break off the key in the lock. Is that how its supposed to be??? Thank God for this forum, or us newbies would be up $hit creek! :grin:

Guest Nogbad

My fast idle won't always stay put either, but I have not been tempted to swap the springs because the seat latch works just fine with the spring that is on there.

IMHO the fast idle does not actually seem too strongly sprung to make operation unreasonably heavy, it seems more to be a matter of too little friction at the operating lever.

Having said that, who ever uses it anyway, I just start it up on the throttle, and hold it for about 10 seconds or so at 2K rpm before setting off. Seems enough to warm the engine. In the winter, by the time I get to the top of the hill on my way to work, the engine is warm.

I can't think of any circumstances where I would care enough about the fast idle lever to be bothered with fiddling about trying to fix it. Unless I develop some weird obsessive compulsive disorder where my bike has to be perfect I guess my fast idle will never be fixed.

:2c:

Having said that, who ever uses it anyway, I just start it up on the throttle, and hold it for about 10 seconds or so at 2K rpm before setting off. Seems enough to warm the engine. In the winter, by the time I get to the top of the hill on my way to work, the engine is warm.

I can't think of any circumstances where I would care enough about the fast idle lever to be bothered with fiddling about trying to fix it. Unless I develop some weird obsessive compulsive disorder where my bike has to be perfect I guess my fast idle will never be fixed.

58633[/snapback]

Glad you mention that. I never ever use the fast idle lever (although it operates fine) and I'm not exactly in the warmest, driest climate.

Being a research chemist do you make your own or use propriatory brands?

58670[/snapback]

Didn't you see his photo on here a while ago? The man's a walking experiment.

Guest Nogbad
Being a research chemist do you make your own or use propriatory brands?

58670[/snapback]

Yes. as in. Pro- (towards or in favour of) Pria - (from priapic, priapism, having unending sexual prowess) - Tory (you do it with the au-pair, your secretary, or all the female members of an entire family. e.g. an Alan Clarke)

So yes, the word is correct.

My fast idle won't always stay put either, but I have not been tempted to swap the springs because the seat latch works just fine with the spring that is on there.

IMHO the fast idle does not actually seem too strongly sprung to make operation unreasonably heavy, it seems more to be a matter of too little friction at the operating lever.

58633[/snapback]

Yeah thats it obsessive compulsive disorder, I always knew I needed help when it comes to my motorcycles, Im aways looking to perfect them, you should see all the money/time ive invested in my nomad,and magna to make them "perfect" Its a disease,, Im a sick puppy! :grin:

Yes. as in. Pro- (towards or in favour of) Pria - (from priapic, priapism, having unending sexual prowess) - Tory (you do it with the au-pair, your secretary, or all the female members of an entire family. e.g. an Alan Clarke)

So yes, the word is correct.

58678[/snapback]

Bwahaaahaaaahaaaa! Too funny!

[snip-O-la] now my fast idle button is nice and smooth, but the seat removal is so stiff it feels like Im going to break off the key in the lock. Is that how its supposed to be???

58630[/snapback]

Well, as the originator of this idea, I have to say I prefer stiff key action to the idea of my seat popping off if I hit a pothole too hard! :D

Since the factory seems to have an aversion to getting their hands greasy and scrimps on the grease/oil/whathaveyou elsewhere, what makes you think that a quick shot of dry lube in the lock and cable lube on the seat-latch release cable & a dab of grease on the latch mechanism itself won't cure the "stiff key" problem you're experiencing & lead to seat & fast-idle co-operative bliss?

:grin:

What can I say that other's have not already? YMMV; if you don't like it, switch it back. I, for one, cannot conceive of going back to needing both hands to move the fast idle lever, & having to hold it in position while the engine warms up... :bbblll: [Oh yeah, & always warm up air-cooled engines before trying to blast off; they'll last longer if you do...]

Ride on!

:mg: