New Road Race

Guzzirider

That is an insane course!! I have driven a car oround the MW 200 and that was nothing much compared to this. I expect the fellow who puts supermotard suspension on his GSXR will be the king!! Some of the yard fences looked like armco and then there were the concrete walls at the end of a straight with a sharp 1st gear left. Even big balls wouldn't help there. I half expected it to cut through the yard of Sean O'Toole's byre and have the finish line by a cemetary.

I wish we could put together a raod course here. The Rider lLake area has a great test track I use often but the mentality of people around would never allow it.

I'll be cross posting this on the local sportbike forum for the guys who complain our local track is too tight and bumpy.

The NW 200 is quite different, on bigger roads. These country-road race courses are another kettle of fish.

Despite the long list of serious multiple injuries, Robert Dunlop can't stay away and is getting back out on the road (from retirement) this year.

herbertbeare.JPG

"The night before the race I took the dynamo and battery off as they overcharge at constant high speeds. I fitted a bell as warning of approach.

"On the morning of the race my chum Maurice and I set off on the bike to Cookstown for the first time.

"A meal was arranged for all competitors and attendants; My mate Billy said don't touch the soup as it won't stay down. At the table was James 'Sparks' Campbell, a 250 man from Andrews.

"It was time to go to the grid. I had a good start and in no time was at the first corner. I had a problem free race and was picking up places throughout. I remember the back straight was very bumpy.

"Coming into the last corner on the last lap my back brake locked up and Cromie McCandless on a Triumph slipped up my inside. I got my head down on full bore to the line. I was told I was 3rd and the first 500cc man home.

"There was to be a meal and presentation in the hotel but as there was a large queue my friend Billy said he would collect my prize (£10 for 3rd place and a £1 lap prize) as I had no lights on the bike and had to be home before dark."

Guest ratchethack

Say Belfast - d'you know who was the author of that quote? :huh2:

I'd like to pass that along as a "When Men Were Men" kinda thing to a few Guzzisti...it's a true classic bit o' lore.

The 1946 date doesn't seem to line up, as there was no NW 200 in '46 due to the war according to the history notes at http://www.ehols.com/nw200/main.htm

Sorry for this question if there's a National Treasure involved, but who's the lanky Triumph rider who seems to be as tall sitting down as the guys around him in the photo? :huh2: The obvious guess would be McCandless, though McCandless evidently also campaigned Nortons for several years, according to the NW 200 history link...

Awesome!

That ain't a course...It's a rollercoaster!

I love it! :wub:

I gotta see it!! :thing:

If you like this sort of thing BTW there is the Southern 100 and Jurby Road races here on the Isle of Man.

Nige. :race:

Say Belfast - d'you know who was the author of that quote? :huh2:

I'd like to pass that along as a "When Men Were Men" kinda thing to a few Guzzisti...it's a true classic bit o' lore.

The 1946 date doesn't seem to line up, as there was no NW 200 in '46 due to the war according to the history notes at http://www.ehols.com/nw200/main.htm

Sorry for this question if there's a National Treasure involved, but who's the lanky Triumph rider who seems to be as tall sitting down as the guys around him in the photo? :huh2:  The obvious guess would be McCandless, though McCandless evidently also campaigned Nortons for several years, according to the NW 200 history link...

82038[/snapback]

I thought that you serial Googlers would have been on to it straight away and had the info sniffed out :D

It's not the North West. It's one of the 'country' courses that I referred to – the Cookstown 100. I think I maybe sent Guzzirider a video of the modern Cookstown race along a norrow ribbon of 'road', or maybe it was Tandragee...

anyway

the rider is also the writer, on his brand new Triumph:

Herbert Beare, now in his eighties, recalling his first road race, the 1946 Cookstown 100.

"During the sand track meeting, on Magilligan Strand, a friend (Billy McMichael) said the Cookstown would be run this year and I should go for it. He got me an application form and told me how to get the MCUI competition licence.

"At home I had a 1946 Triumph Speed Twin (498cc). I started carburettor tests at Aghadowey airfield. I knew the engine could pull a higher gear so I added an extra tooth to the engine sprocket.

"I told Jimmy Eakin, he was my work manager at McCaughan's Garage in Coleraine, what I was doing and he arranged with Dunlop in Belfast to have racing tyres and security bolts fitted at his expense.

– and so on to the other piece in the previous post.

You refer to Rex McCandless I think. A home-grown bodger supreme. Inventor of the legendary featherbed frame and the telescopic fork and a significant autogyro developer – like as wot James Bond flew around in.

Have a look here, but ignore the British / Irish crap(possibly) that this guy has included.

I love his little 4-wheel drive 'mule', but I can't find a pic of it at the moment.

Edit - just found one mule2.jpg

see here

I think he was friends with Harry Fergusson, another great local inventor. You may be aware of Fergusson four wheel drive from the fabulous Jenson Interceptor FF

jensenff1jpg.jpg

"The Jensen FF: The Worlds First Production Car with All Wheel Drive, Anti-Lock Brakes, and Traction Control. The FF was a bit longer than the interceptor due to the Four wheel drive Ferguson Formula, and a difference from the Interceptor is the two ribs behind the frontwheels, instead of one.

The interceptor also were more expensive both to make and buy, because it also had the Dunlop Maxaret anti-skip breaking system, which made it the safest car ever on the road.

It is almost impossible to skid or spin the car on the even iciest surface.

It was originally developed for big aircraft engines."

book2.jpg

my hero

You refer to Rex McCandless I think. A home-grown bodger supreme. Inventor of the legendary featherbed frame and the telescopic fork and a significant autogyro developer – like as wot James Bond flew around in.

Have a look here, but ignore the British / Irish crap(possibly)book2.jpg

my hero

82124[/snapback]

An interesting story- just read the article on the link and the poor chap certainly does have a chip on his shoulder about the Brits- I wonder if he has ever actually been to Ireland?

Inventing the featherbed frame is an excellent achievement but to also invent the telescopic fork- what a guy!

Guy

P.S. Where can I buy a Norton Marquee? Would be great for tea parties with the vicar in the summer.

Guest ratchethack

Great stuff, BFG! :thumbsup:

I had forgotten that the inventor of the telescopic fork was the chap responsible for the featherbed frame, & never knew the FF was a distinction for the AWD Interceptor. I occasionally see an Interceptor on the road... :whistle:

82146[/snapback]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Paul has got something there!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh boy :grin:

If he's right, he deserves 10 Quiz points for spotting that

the story did seem a bit fishy...