Ohlins Transplant

Guest gooseorduck

Guest gooseorduck

well a 2 second google search brings thi site up, http://www.dynamicbicycles.com/ nothing can keep you of the shaft drive bicicle. There are more, and it's not new.

Thanks Paul, good job and now I don't have to explain.

My handle or username at my home website "socal guzzi" is h8chains. Who do I ask here at this website so I can change it?

Now I'm thinking of buying a used Scura and swap all the goodies, then sell it for $1.5K less.

Hi Joel,

MG made bad choices in the spring rate and valving in the Scura Ohlins parts. They can be made to work well, but it takes time and more money. If you want an Ohlins fork, IMO your best approach would be to buy the forks from the German company previously mentioned and the other parts you need. Then either do it yourself or pay somebody else to do it. That's what's I did. Well, I did buy my forks used from Paul. I then bought a Ducati 999 axle, washer and nut from FBF and a carbon fiber front fender. A fellow from an LA company nicely sent me new bearings and another lister here made me a spacer. I did all the work myself except for changing the bearings. A local mechanic friend did it for a bottle of nice wine.

I highly recommend upgrading both the forks and the shock to Ohlins. If you do just one, it points out how mediocre the other end now is. I might be at Ojai tomorrow so you can take a look at the bike. I have a cold though and may not make it but I'll make the first ride where both my health and the weather cooperate. I'm kenm on the socal list if you want to talk to me there.

Regards,

-ken

Guest h8chains

Thanks for the great advice Ken. Too bad you can't ride tomorrow, maybe I can borrow your forks.

I read elsewhere that profWacko is looking for Ohlins fork too, I'll contact him and maybe save on the shipping cost.

What about a mass buy? Anyone interested?

Where can we get a special deal on the rear shocks?

Look, just a thought, if you want improved forks surely the wreckers must be full of sets of decent Showas off Jap sportsters? Yiou they'd probably need re-springing and perhaps (?) re-valving if they came off something much lighter but Showas are a lovely fork and I'd guess have to be cheaper than something super-trick like Ohlins.

Pete

Where can we get a special deal on the rear shocks?

The Wilbers that http://www.guzzitech.com sells are in some ways better than the Ohlins, but much cheaper.

But be sure to talk to Todd Eagan as he is working on some other promising shock options. He posted about them on the socal guzzi discussion board, here:

http://socal-guzzi.com/PHPBB/viewtopic.php...ghlight=wilbers

Look, just a thought, if you want improved forks surely the wreckers must be full of sets of decent Showas off Jap sportsters? Yiou they'd probably need re-springing and perhaps (?) re-valving if they came off something much lighter but Showas are a lovely fork and I'd guess have to be cheaper than something super-trick like Ohlins.

Pete

Sometimes you can find Aprillia and Ducati Showas for sale cheap on eBay, etc.

Mike Stewart gave Aprillia Showas a try on his V11sport.

See here

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...59&hl=showa

yes some jap parts like showa are cheaper, but fitting them is way more problematic. They are most of the time one or two inches short. What I don't mind but others might not like the bike on its nose. Then they won't fit in the triples, the brakes won't fit. So basicaly anything is wrong. Nothing can't be solved, but needs a lot more work, and if you can't do it yourself, costs a lot of money extra. Where adding ohlins might add to the value off your bike, on showa won't. And the ohlins can be taken out and sold separate easy, where the showa gets no money in the end.